Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

Mazda will put a bigger engine if people ask for it. They clearly did with the 2.0 and I bet they are not with the current engine (the 10K a month buying the car). Those surveys you get after you buy the car tell Mazda what people like and what they don't.

In the end it is all about sales. The RAV 4 is slower, has worse handling, is louder and is even less reliable than the CX-5 and yet, it sells in 3X the volume. Mazda needs to decide who their competitors are and compete appropriately. And they desperately need a new advertising campaign. Seeing some cooky Japanese dude pretending to hand make a 20K or 30K car is laughable. That will not get Americans to buy their cars.

Mazda will put a bigger engine if people ask for it.

People have been asking for CarPlay/Android Auto for years, so where is it? They will put whatever engines in their vehicles that can remain competitive in power and price with the CRV/Tucson/Rav4/Rouges of the world. Don't expect to see any 200 HP+ engines in the CX-5/3/6 anytime soon.

Mazda will put a bigger engine if people ask for it. They clearly did with the 2.0 and I bet they are not with the current engine (the 10K a month buying the car). Those surveys you get after you buy the car tell Mazda what people like and what they don't.

In the end it is all about sales. The RAV 4 is slower, has worse handling, is louder and is even less reliable than the CX-5 and yet, it sells in 3X the volume. Mazda needs to decide who their competitors are and compete appropriately. And they desperately need a new advertising campaign. Seeing some cooky Japanese dude pretending to hand make a 20K or 30K car is laughable. That will not get Americans to buy their cars.

People and reviewers are asking for it but needs to be much louder.

Toyota sells more because they are far better known plus they also target fleet market more so than Mazda

People and reviewers are asking for it but needs to be much louder.

Toyota sells more because they are far better known plus they also target fleet market more so than Mazda

They also have a dealership on every street corner!

Seeing some cooky Japanese dude pretending to hand make a 20K or 30K car is laughable. That will not get Americans to buy their cars.

You burst my bubble, when I couldn’t find the made by hand in Hiroshima sticker!

Better than the Chevy real people commercials. Those are so annoying and the people are always morons.

The thing is though as annoying as those are or Toyota lady they’re advertising the features of their products. Mazda isn’t really doing that lately. Though they had some highlighting their AWD in the recent past. Those were better probably.

Those Chev commercials drive me absolutely nuts. It's like they're actively trying to insult people's intelligence. So annoying.

^Haha fn hysterical Banjos! I was thinking exactly this yesterday when reading about Mazda's ad campaign..blows away those cheese dick Chevy ads by a mile! Wifey picked me up some #8 yesterday so that was good..btw out of curiosity what do you pay for a case of it up yonder?

Here's what matters to most buyers:

Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
Sad but true. People are creatures of habit, and if they've never looked at or considered a Mazda, then they probably never will.
I have friends and relatives who think this way.
My sister in law has had 2 CR-V's, both of which fell apart as they got older.
She's looking at replacing her POS 2005 CR-V, and guess what? She's buying another one.
She's not even looking at, or considering, anything else.
Doesn't matter that her current ride has broken down every two weeks. Tunnel vision.
Another family friend is the same way, only with Volvo's.
He's in his 70's now, and has driven nothing but Volvo's for 40 years.
You might as well be talking to a brick wall with this guy when it comes to cars.
Good or bad, he'll never stray from his Volvo's.
I could go on with other examples, but I think we all know people like this.

Vast majority of people go with what they know and are comfortable with for better or worse and yes it is what it is. Not for me but I'm not most car buyers.

Last edited:
And here I was stoked to finally see 12s @21.99 vs 6s for 13 or 14.99... welcome to NY:)
I think we're @17.99 for 4 talls of Sip..which I'm generally disinclined to pay.

Yeah, I only rarely get the Sip.

The Maine Beer Co bottles (16.9 oz) that usually run $6-8 here in Maine are often $10+ in Mass... and they can't keep them on the shelves. Crazy. I like it and all... but its still just beer.

I hate those Chevy ads too.

(hand)

Mahk on those Chevy commerical's is great. One of the recent ones where a Chevy Truck was covered up - after the demo the main guy ripped off the cover to reveal a Chevy Truck (the cover had Ford's logo outline) - what does Mahk do - he pukes his lunch out. I mean literally - the others went wow what a truck and Mahk just puked a gallon. I lost it - very funny.

Yeah they built an impressive brand there (Maine guys), and same down here @7.99 you'd think it was liquid gold the way its snapped up. Very good product, great positioning and (I have to believe) margins

Back