Where is flasher module in 2016 CX-5 GT?

:
2020 CX-5
I'm thinking of putting LED's into the front and rear turn signals of my 2016 GT with the tech package. Rather than trying to mount load resistors, I thought I'd just replace the flasher module with one compatible with LED's. The problem is is that I have no idea where the flasher module is. If I can find it, I think I can compare the base with catalog pictures to see which unit I need.

Thanks for any help.

What LED bulbs are you looking at? This is something i'd been considering as well.

This site seems to have the bulbs the CX-5 uses:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

They might work fine without either a resistor or special flasher, but no one here has reported trying to replace the turn signals with LED's, so that's still an open question.

I think there are a couple of LED's sold that do have built resistors, but based on the reviews, I don't think the units linked in the post above are those units.

OK, here are the LED's with built resistors: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor-Required-7440-LED-Turn-Signal-Bulbs-p/20-025.htm

These will only work in turn signal applications and cannot run continuously. The front turn signals on the '16 GT with LED headlights are dual filament 7444, with one filament on when the headlights are on. However, the above might physically fit and would work if they would work in a single filament mode, only illuminating when the turn signal was activated. I'm not sure if they could be made to work that way or not.

But back to my original question--does anyone know where the flasher module is located? If I can replace that with a LED compatable unit, all the other issues should be fixed

OK, here are the LED's with built resistors: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor-Required-7440-LED-Turn-Signal-Bulbs-p/20-025.htm
These will only work in turn signal applications and cannot run continuously. The front turn signals on the '16 GT with LED headlights are dual filament 7444, with one filament on when the headlights are on. However, the above might physically fit and would work if they would work in a single filament mode, only illuminating when the turn signal was activated. I'm not sure if they could be made to work that way or not.
But back to my original question--does anyone know where the flasher module is located? If I can replace that with a LED compatable unit, all the other issues should be fixed
The bulb from your link might actually suit my need. It seems acting as a single-filament 7440NA bulb (used on CX-5 rear turn signals) instead of 7444NA dual-filament bulb (used on 16's CX-5 front turn signals). I want our 16's amber front turn signal bulb only works as turn signal and not serves as dual-purpose with side marker hence the use of 7444NA dual-filaments bulb. This is the way they work in Europe and Asia as they don't require the side markers. The other benefit is the drivers from the opposite direction can see more clearly during the night when the front turn signal is in on-off-on-off instead of on-weak-on-weak pattern. In fact, US version BMW's do this way which intentionally turn off the front parking light / side marker when the front turn signal is on.

I'd tried to put a 7440NA single-filament bulb in at front turn signal socket to eliminate the front side marker but couldn't. Although the bulb base looks the same, but there is a tab built into the 7440NA base which makes it unfit. I don't know if the bulb you mentioned will actually fit the 16's front turn signal bulb socket as 7440 and 7444 are not compatible at the base.

I'm curious though. Why you want to replace the flasher relay when you replace the turn signals with LED's? Can you really find a Mazda CX-5 flasher relay which is compatible with LED's? It seems to me getting a LED's with build-in load resisters are the easier way to go if you really don't like to cut off factory wires to add the load resisters. Is it the price?

I'm not sure there is 7444 compatible bulb available with built in resistors. I did find a website with maybe 20 different types of LED flasher modules, so I'm guessing that if I can find the flasher module, I can probably find a match.

2016 CX-5 GT flasher

I'm not sure there is 7444 compatible bulb available with built in resistors. I did find a website with maybe 20 different types of LED flasher modules, so I'm guessing that if I can find the flasher module, I can probably find a match.

Did you ever find out where the flasher is located?

I have traced it to behind the actual instrument cluster but the vehicle is only a month old and can't bring myself to dismantling this at this time.

I have replaced all the interior bulbs with led including the license plate illumination. I did purchase cree led for the rear which work with a resistor but man, the 50w 6 ohm with heatsink resistor gets too hot to touch.

The front bulbs are a problem. I tried the same lead in the front and they work but the resistor at the rear has not effect on the front turn signal so I get hyper flash. The side marker led illuminates properly and when blinker is on it blinks but I just don't want to cut into the wire to add another resistor so I am looking for the electronic flasher solution.

Please let me know if you have come across a solution.

I'm not very familiar with the electrical diagrams yet but after a quick look at the 2013 pdf wiring diagram for
the turn signals and emergency blinkers it appears the FCBM (module?) controls a left and right relay for the bulbs.
If so, there is no old style blinker module for the turn signals.

Thanks for your experimentation. Since it looks like you need resistors to get the turn signals to flash properly, I think I'll just leave the stock filament bulbs in.

Did you ever find out where the flasher is located?

I have traced it to behind the actual instrument cluster but the vehicle is only a month old and can't bring myself to dismantling this at this time.

I have replaced all the interior bulbs with led including the license plate illumination. I did purchase cree led for the rear which work with a resistor but man, the 50w 6 ohm with heatsink resistor gets too hot to touch.

The front bulbs are a problem. I tried the same lead in the front and they work but the resistor at the rear has not effect on the front turn signal so I get hyper flash. The side marker led illuminates properly and when blinker is on it blinks but I just don't want to cut into the wire to add another resistor so I am looking for the electronic flasher solution.

Please let me know if you have come across a solution.

Back