When To Wax Your New Car

mzd

:
Mazda CX-9 GT FWD 2012
To keep your car in great shape for a long time, is it best to wax your brand new car right away or should it be done after a few months or a year?
How often do you wax your car?
Do you hand wax or do you use a waxing machine?
What is your favorite wax that will do well in the very hot sun and very wet weather?
What is the ideal temperature for waxing the car?
How often do you wash your car, doing it at home or bringing it to a car washer?

Thanks.

In my opinion, wash, clay, and wax immediately. Claying being essential due to rail dust and general garbage in the paint. I personally just recently washed, clayed and waxed with Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. I need to wash the CX-9 again today. No clay or waxing.

Here's a decent overview.

[video]http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/c6B7V1bBq98[/video]

In my opinion, wash, clay, and wax immediately. Claying being essential due to rail dust and general garbage in the paint. I personally just recently washed, clayed and waxed with Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. I need to wash the CX-9 again today. No clay or waxing.

I concur with this opinion. I also just did the same wash, clay, polish, wax with Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 last week.

I just recently got done doing the wash/clay/wax on my 09 Mazda3... and it looks incredible.

Definitely do it as soon as possible to protect your car.

Disclaimer: After completely claying and waxing my car, I was rear-ended at a red light by some idiot not paying attention. Go figure.

I used Meguiars Gold Class paste wax... and it was absolutely the easiest to apply/buff off wax I've ever used.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-gold-class-paste-wax.html

IIRC it was the NXT Gen 2.0 Tech wax that I used on my Jeep long ago to shine it up right before a big show, but I decided to run on the obstacle course(mud/rocks/etc)... and I don't know if it was caused by the wax, but the mud permanantly stained everything after that. I have no clue if it was wax related or not, or maybe it was something to do with the type of mud that it got caked in, but I'm leary of the stuff... albeit I admit it's probably illogical on my part.

Last edited:
I used Meguiars Gold Class paste wax... and it was absolutely the easiest to apply/buff off wax I've ever used.

I love Meguiars Gold Class. I used the liquid with great results.

I haven't heard of any problems with NXT, but I'm going to research it.

I wash my car once a week and wax/clay atleast every 3 weeks depending on how much I drive it and how dirty it gets.. I wash at home so I can take my time but car wash is fine just don't use the brush, that s*** scratches paint. Oh and the surface of the car needs to be cool to the touch in order to wash/wax.. Can't do it in the heat.

I love Meguiars Gold Class. I used the liquid with great results.

I haven't heard of any problems with NXT, but I'm going to research it.

Here is my direct post from back in 2008... granted I'm sure the formula has changed a bit since then:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/tech-wax-2-0-mud-permanant-stains-595512/

So all last week I spent a ton of time stripping old wax, claybarred (most of)the Jeep, then waxed it where it was claybarred with Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 since I've read nothing but good reviews. Now the only parts I got around to claybarring and waxing was the hood, front fenders, and the cowl area. Basically everything above my sliders and in front of the doors.

So I took it wheeling on Saturday and got it quite muddy. I got back late due to a snapped rear driveshaft u-joint, so couldn't wash it immediately. I figured it would be fine until the next day.

So today about 2:00 I got it all washed and stuff and the hood has a ton of mud "stains" on it. They feel about even with the paint and it appears it smudged the clearcoat or something like that. This same mud was all over the Jeep and the only place that was affected was the hood. The cowl/tub area near the antenna has a small smudge but I honestly can't remember if it was there before or not.

Has anybody else had problems with this? I'm thinking I'll need to repaint the hood(not a terribly huge deal, but still a waste of time and mone). Anybody have any ideas or had similar problems?

I ended up having a body shop guy I work with go over everything with stuff I can't remember, basically he polished the hell out of everything.

FWIW the clearcoat on my hood is now halfway gone from peeling, but this is a general Jeep issue, not to be blamed on the wax IMO.

The clearcoat on my '99 GMC Sierra has let loose over the past month. Big chunks flip up and fly over the cab while I'm driving. The first time I saw it I thought I hit a bird. :)

The Texas sun is evil on paint.

Do it right away! We just bought ours Saturday and I spent the day yesterday making it shine like it should. Find out how long it's been sitting on the lot. Ours had been there a few months and had some etching and water spots, but I cleaned her all up to my standards. I use only Zaino products. Nothing lasts longer (actually proven) and in my opinion, nothing looks better. Zainostore.com (if you want to polish it 2 times a years and have a showcar shine!)

Back