When to Replace Wheel Hub?

surfninjas

Contributor
:
03 mazda protege 5 automatic
Pretty sure my front wheel bearings are bad (droning/humming changes with speed), and if not, they have 153k on them, so I might as well.

Should I replace the front wheel hub at this time? If not, when and why? Its under $100 for both front wheel hubs.

Im getting the SKF wheel bearings, SKF seals, and new retainer clips as well.

Any brands I should go with or stay away from?

Thanks.

You only need to replace the hub if the bearing has seized and made the inner race spin on it. It usually doesn't happen.

I prefer Timken bearings, but I think SKF is right up there with them in quality.

You only need to replace the hub if the bearing has seized and made the inner race spin on it. It usually doesn't happen.

I prefer Timken bearings, but I think SKF is right up there with them in quality.

I suck with mechanics. I assume I should be fine since the noise is fairly recent.

Thanks!

jack up one front wheel at a time and spin the tires with your hand, see of you hear the noise. then grab the tire by the top and bottom and try to move it back and forth and see if it wobbles, if either does any or both of these that hub/bearing needs to be replaced. and what the guy above said you dont replace those unless they have issues

I have also been able to test them when you are driving. When the noise is present gently rock the wheel back and forth if the noise changes then you need new bearings.

Back