When does the CX-5 Rear axel engage?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I'm curious to know when the rear axel engages when starting up a steep incline. Also is there some sort of progressive engagement or is the engagement just on/off?

I'm curious to know when the rear axel engages when starting up a steep incline. Also is there some sort of progressive engagement or is the engagement just on/off?
It is progressive and continuously monitored many times per second.

It is instant from a standstill. There is no ramp-up required for the rear diff to lock up. This was from my commute home last night from work. It is progressive in its application and nearly always on in the first gen. You can see where I came to a stop and the spikes in engagement from take-off.

Attachments

• IMG_6872.PNG
    IMG_6872.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 54
Ok that's interesting. I have understood that it (my 2020) is essentially front wheel drive with the rear axel only providing drive when needed. Thank you for the reply.

It is instant from a standstill. There is no ramp-up required for the rear diff to lock up. This was from my commute home last night from work. It is progressive in its application and nearly always on in the first gen. You can see where I came to a stop and the spikes in engagement from take-off.
Curious.
Where/how did you get that data?
From OBDII?

Curious.
Where/how did you get that data?
From OBDII?
You got it. I use a Bluetooth LE scanner so I can do it all from my phone. Works pretty well for the $30 or so I paid for it... the only thing I've noticed is it isn't 100% in real time with what's going in with the car. Like maybe 95%.

Back