When do you gas up your CX-5

I generally follow Mazdas recommendation of refilling at 1/4 tank but, not less than 1/8 tank. Ed

I do that if I'm heading into a remote area with minimal to no stations. Otherwise, I look forward 100 miles and if I don't see any particular problem with time or convenient/cost effective fuel, I just keep driving.

That's how I've been able to go 3 years and 26,000 miles with only 71 fuel stops. If I had followed Mazda's general rule to fill up when I still had a quarter tank left I would have had to fill up 15 more times! Another benefit, I have a higher ratio of fresh gas to old gas. Make no mistake, there are still millions of molecules of three year old fuel in there.

My 5 year old F-150 holds 36 gallons and yet has the same range as the CX-5! It's painful to fill up, especially when regular was over $4/gal. Ouch!

I think the little CX-5 is doing well to match the range of a vehicle with 36 gallon capacity and I'm not sure I would like driving around with 20 gallons in there!

I just took a 2500 mile road trip, and never got better than 29mpg (2016 AWD) I kept it to the speed limit the whole way. I was not impressed!

as to the topic. . .I always fill up before I hit the 0 miles left. Usually in the teens.

I'm still on my first tank. With only 1/4 tank used my overall average is 28 mpg.

I'm still on my first tank. With only 1/4 tank used my overall average is 28 mpg.

i have slightly over 1/4 of first tank left with a bit over 300 miles and overall average around 29. this is with about 2/3 of that being city driving. if i continue to get that type of mileage on the vehicle i will be pretty happy. i came from a manual transmission 2005 mazda 3 2.3l and my mileage was actually slightly worse.

I was the guy who let it run till it stopped. And yes, risked complete implosion of the entire planet.

When it hits 0 miles to empty I still have about 68 miles give or take depending on the type of driving I did that fill up.

Either way....1-2 gallons is a lot of gas so I wait for the 0 and the. Hit the next station.

Dave

I was the guy who let it run till it stopped. And yes, risked complete implosion of the entire planet.

When it hits 0 miles to empty I still have about 68 miles give or take depending on the type of driving I did that fill up.

Either way....1-2 gallons is a lot of gas so I wait for the 0 and the. Hit the next station.

Dave

Thanks for being brave and providing us with one hard data point (I believe it's the only miles to 'sputter' data point I've seen).

When I was browsing an on-line OEM parts catalogue I noticed some interesting things, one in particular that is likely relevant to the data point you provided. Specifically, the AWD models have two in-tank fuel senders in different areas of the tank while FWD models only have one. It's not clear to me how the 'brains' in the car use the two senders, whether the additional sender increases the accuracy of reporting when the tank is nearly empty or whether it is used to provide more stable fuel level readings when the car is at a different attitude than level for extended periods of time (on a side hill or climbing a long mountain pass). In any case, the FWD model may have idiosyncrasies not present in the AWD version or vice versa.

Which model was your test performed on?

Also, I don't believe it's technically correct when you say "When it hits 0 miles to empty I still have about 68 miles give or take depending on the type of driving I did that fill up."

My assumption is that the in-tank hardware determines when the empty light (and "0 miles to empty" message appears). To be clear, I don't believe the range remaining after this "0" point is reached is dependent upon the type of driving you did that fill up, but only dependent upon the type of driving you did after the gauge read empty. If I recall your previous post on this subject it was highway type driving about 60 mph? Level with no significant wind?

If you would be so kind as to fill in your specific model information in your profile it will show up on the left side of every post you make as a convenient reference for others.

This is how I estimate it.

The Indicated Range is always adjusting, and it strives to reach 0 when you have approx 8 liters remaining. ~2 gallons...

So if you get ~20 mpg you could see about 40 miles range until "sputter"
if you get ~35 mpg you could see 70 miles until "sputter"...

One fact is the miles to empty gauge is pessimistic just like any other car I've seen. I doubt any car manufacturer will attempt to put a true-reading gauge perhaps in fear of liability?

This is how I estimate it.

The Indicated Range is always adjusting, and it strives to reach 0 when you have approx 8 liters remaining. ~2 gallons...

So if you get ~20 mpg you could see about 40 miles range until "sputter"
if you get ~35 mpg you could see 70 miles until "sputter"...
Agreed... I've have occasionally run my vehicles dry (not the CX-5 yet, but will not say for sure yet if that will hold true forever)...

If driving with the low gas reminder light provides that much discomfort for you, then just fill up. Life is too short to stress about this detail. I don't worry too much about this, and just try to keep an eye on it and correlate how far to the next time I should be near the more cost effective fill up. That being said, I still drive down close to zero before fill ups, but I rarely go beyond a 35 mile round trip from my favorite watering hole... If I ever find I've ventured too far away, I bite the bullet and pay more for the piece of mind, and don't look back.
I'm certain there are thing far worse than running out of gas at midnight, local stations closed and finding you have a 7 mile hike (14 mile round trip) plus the added cost of buying a gas can from the station at a premium. Been there, done that, and I can share that it's an experience I can't say I would like to repeat, but know I'll survive either way...

If you're trying to cut it so close that it's causing this much concern, just fill up soon after that first light comes on. Over time, depending on your driving conditions an habits,, you should develop a better idea how far you can get after hitting zero. But, if you continue to push it too far, eventually, you'll run out of luck.

When To Get Fuel...

More as a side note, than what I'm getting Mpg.

I've always stayed away from getting fuel, if and when, I see the station getting its underground tanks filled by the tractor-trailer tanker truck. Yes... I know that a lot of the fuel pumps (if not all now days) have supply hose filters on them (and maybe it's just me), but I still don't like the idea of re-fueling after having all that bottom sludge of the holding tanks mixed in.

When I see the above tanker at the station, I usually give it a few days for everything to settle down before re-fueling there... or go to a different station, (depending upon how low my fuel supply is). I know that by going to a different station I have no idea when the last station re-supply was, but nothing is certain in life.

CX5T Lover

This thread reminds me of my 370Z. If I let it get to 1/4 tank, I would end up fuel-starving it and it would stall out.

Went to Costco today so I fueled up for the very first time. The fuel gauge showed 1/2 tank left and it took 7.85 gallons. I have 256 miles on the odometer for a calculated 32.6mpg. The weird thing is the fuel computer showed 28.3mpg since the last reset at mile 3 on the odometer. So there's a 4mpg discrepancy. I have a feeling that my tank isn't really full from today's fuel up, although the fuel gauge did read full. I have AWD and the tank is split into two compartments. Perhaps I would have gotten another gallon in the tank under certain conditions. I still believe the 28.3mpg is the more accurate figure however I'll never know the answer.

Went to Costco today so I fueled up for the very first time. The fuel gauge showed 1/2 tank left and it took 7.85 gallons. I have 256 miles on the odometer for a calculated 32.6mpg. The weird thing is the fuel computer showed 28.3mpg since the last reset at mile 3 on the odometer. So there's a 4mpg discrepancy. I have a feeling that my tank isn't really full from today's fuel up, although the fuel gauge did read full. I have AWD and the tank is split into two compartments. Perhaps I would have gotten another gallon in the tank under certain conditions. I still believe the 28.3mpg is the more accurate figure however I'll never know the answer.

Reset it again the next time you fuel up. When I hand calculate, my mpg is not far off from the system.

For a more accurate number, try to refuel at the same station and pump.

Reset it again the next time you fuel up. When I hand calculate, my mpg is not far off from the system.

I forgot to reset it this time. Will try again next time. Thanks.

I'm usually 1-2mpg off hand-calculating, at the same pump, putting the exact same amount in the tank (I topped it off so I can visualize the fuel when doing this test). I finally arrived at "What does it even matter? It does better than anything else in its segment, so screw it. It's not like I can change it."

Also, as an update, I asked a co-worker with a Subaru 2.0XT Forester what mileage he got. We live in the same area, obviously, so we have access to the same roads of course. From here to Tulsa,OK, he averages 24-25 round trip, he said. I averaged 28. Makes me feel better that I get about 3mpg better and get to run 87 while he must run 91+. :)

One fact is the miles to empty gauge is pessimistic just like any other car I've seen. I doubt any car manufacturer will attempt to put a true-reading gauge perhaps in fear of liability?

GM did in my 1995 Trans AM. DEAD ON. As in, when that needle hit the center of "E", it was game-over. This is part of why, along with my 370Z (If you had less than about 1/4 tank on the street, or 1/2 tank on the track with sticky tires, you can fuel starve them in corners. I actually had it completely die on me taking a corner one time with over 1/4 tank, on the street. I was probably only pulling around 0.7-0.8g, too.) I don't screw around with that. It's not good for the vehicle, and it doesn't do you any favors one way or the other, really.

Also, as an update, I asked a co-worker with a Subaru 2.0XT Forester what mileage he got. We live in the same area, obviously, so we have access to the same roads of course. From here to Tulsa,OK, he averages 24-25 round trip, he said. I averaged 28. Makes me feel better that I get about 3mpg better and get to run 87 while he must run 91+. :)
EPA fuel economy for 2015 Subaru 2.0XT Forester 250 hp 2.0L H4 Turbo is 23/28 (city/hwy) mpg and for 2016 Mazda CX-5 184 hp 2.5L I4 AWD is 24/30 mpg. Your friend's real world MPG for 2.0XT is worse than your CX-5 that is supposed to be. As I've always believed, the horsepower is not coming up for free! Turbo or not, you use more fuel, even with premium gas, to get more power! Unless the engine itself is more efficient, like SkyActiv engines.

Latest posts

Back