Wheel off center after changing LCAS

Hello everyone, I did my LCAS awhile back and my wheel is turned a little right to drive straight. When my steering wheel is straight it drifts left. I did accidentally move the steering wheel when my driver's side LCA was off, but then I moved it back but obviously not in perfect position. Can I adjust my toe in and it should be straight again?

Sure, you can adjust the toe at home. If the car is newer, the endlinks might not even fight you much (when I last adjusted mine, I used an 18" pipe wrench). On FWD cars, the info I've seen is to go for 0 degrees total toe, and then you'll have to play with it to get the steering wheel centered (a concept which my local Mazda mechanics obviously do not understand, as they took in a car and sent it out with the same total front toe, only the steering wheel was probably 3 degrees farther left!).

They should set the toe with the wheel tilted in the opposite direction assuming caster hasn't changed which isn't adjustable anyway. That would correct the error, but you're right, most mechanics don't understand that.

In addition to the Mazda mechanics, I don't understand either. I thought the steering wheel is locked in the center position and then the tie rod ends adjusted to give proper toe. This is a serious question, not a rebuttal.

In addition to the Mazda mechanics, I don't understand either. I thought the steering wheel is locked in the center position and then the tie rod ends adjusted to give proper toe. This is a serious question, not a rebuttal.
If the wheel is off center, say 10 degrees to the right, after alignment and everything is in spec and you're going down a straight level road when you're experiencing this, then you can correct it by setting the wheel 10 degrees to the left and reset your toe. It should fall back to center after this.

Last edited:
If the wheel is off center, say 10 degrees to the right, after alignment and everything is in spec and you're going down a straight level road when you're experiencing this, then you can correct it by setting the wheel 10 degrees to the left and reset your toe. It should fall back to center after this.

This.

Even without a test drive (which they apparently skipped), you'd think they'd have scratched their heads upon noticing that LF and RF toe were off by equal amounts in opposite directions ...

OK, now I get what you're saying. In this example, the wheel wasn't centered when toe was set. So then it needs aligned again since the wheel has to be centered and then the toe set again. OP --- just get an alignment, your tires will thank you.

Back