Wheel Bearings / Tie Rods

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all,

Just got off the phone with my service advisor, and need a new wheel bearing (covered under warranty at 10k miles). I don't recall hitting any big potholes.

Anyone else have any issues with wheel bearings/tie rods? This kind of makes me nervous, unless it's just a fluke.

Thanks!

You see very few complaints about wheel bearings on this forum so I wouldn't worry. FWIW: My wheel bearings are silently spinning after nearly 40K miles. And, I live in a salty winter wonderland 6-7 months each year.
Wheel bearings are not effected by pot holes. Usually they fail after many miles of use (100K or more) and prematurely if somehow the sealed bearing allows contamination inside. I really think you just got unlucky - but lucky to get a replacement under warranty.
Ball joints, tie rod ends and other ball and socket parts see a bit more wear if driven on rough roads. Their enemy is also dirt, salt and water that eventually penetrate the joint. Again these are not considered a weak or pattern failure for Mazda. Obviously these things wear out with time, but not often do they need replacement before 100K miles.

2016.5 GS 62k km passenger side wheel bearing replaced under warranty. No other suspension issues so far.

All my tie rods and lower ball joints boots are cracked open at 63k. They still work, just most likely there is not much grease left in them. I'm not sure, if my lowered SUV has something to do about that.
I don't believe it does, maybe the Cali heat messed up the rubber?! But then how come, other rubber boots are OK?

Back