What's up with the EGR valve?

:
2002 Protege5
I'm at wits end. I need to replace the EGR valve on my 2002 P5. The Mazda parts catalog lists the part # as FSY1-20-300U. So far I've bought two of these and neither one fits; the bolt holes are almost 1/4 inch off and the electrical connector is too big for the socket. Can anyone shed some light here ?

Others have purchased from Rockauto and I don't recall any fitment issues.

They're listing part numbers that both of you mentioned.

Do you maybe have a replacement engine that uses a different EGR?

Maybe you were just sent the wrong part?
EBay can be bad for that.

Last edited:
Others have purchased from Rockauto and I don't recall any fitment issues.

They're listing part numbers that both of you mentioned.

Do you maybe have a replacement engine that uses a different EGR?

Maybe you were just sent the wrong part?
EBay can be bad for that.
It's the original engine. I bought the part at Pep Boys. In fact, it's the Standard Motor Products EGV 660 as listed above.

Well then I don't get it?

Maybe Pep Boys got a box of mislabelled parts?

Is there any part number printed on it?

If it were me, I'd get my money back and order from Rock Auto.

I did a bit of research and discovered what's happening. Halfway through 2002 production, Mazda made some mechanical and exterior changes to the Protege5. One of them was changing to a different throttle body and an EGR to fit it.

It is likely that the part number Fsy1-20-300 fits the earlier 2000 version. That VIN runs up to the last five digits ending in 593887. From 593888 and on its the 2002.5 version.

I'm really surprised there wasn't a TSB about this change. Now i just have to get parts sellers to acknowledge the difference.

I did a bit of research and discovered what's happening. Halfway through 2002 production, Mazda made some mechanical and exterior changes to the Protege5. One of them was changing to a different throttle body and an EGR to fit it.

It is likely that the part number Fsy1-20-300 fits the earlier 2000 version. That VIN runs up to the last five digits ending in 593887. From 593888 and on its the 2002.5 version.

I'm really surprised there wasn't a TSB about this change. Now i just have to get parts sellers to acknowledge the difference.

Wow!, I didn't know that.

My car was built in September 2001, so I'll need the early version if I ever need an EGR.

Thanks for your research.

Last edited:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, part of the emissions system.
Hee hee... I was just kidding. I know what they are (sorta'), but I don't have one anymore. The JDM engine they dropped in my car doesn't have one because JDM FSDE engines weren't fitted with them.

Hee hee... I was just kidding. I know what they are (sorta'), but I don't have one anymore. The JDM engine they dropped in my car doesn't have one because JDM FSDE engines weren't fitted with them.

That's weird.
Japan is all spun on recycling and pollution.
You'd think that they would have an EGR?

Once a car hits 100,000 km in Japan, it has to meet stringent tests to make sure it doesn't pollute, so that's why there are JDM engines available.

They just get a new car instead of getting the old one to pass emissions.

Apparently, there is a law in Japan that new cars have to be made with 100% recycled metal.
That's why they rust so bad.

It's hard to get the impurities out of recycled metal during smelting.

Last edited:
Back