whats the difference in the protege 2.0 block and mp3 block

04spoondc5

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
Reason i ask is due to the outrageous prices im finding on mp3 engines i was just gonna buy a regular 2.0l protege shortblock and swap heads. I bought an mp3 with a bad knock in the bottom end. Ive found there is limited information available on these cars, just looking for a little insight. Does anybody know if anything is different about the block.

Same exact engine top to bottom. Only difference is just the intake manifold. Switch that and your good to go.

I'm pretty sure the block itself is the same...the difference is in the ecu.

As pointed out, the difference between a mp3 engine and a 2.0l protege engine is the intake manifold and the ecu that controls it

Well I would have said the ecu but he just asked about the motor lol. But yes together that's the difference.

the mp3 motor is a coilpack engine. i believe all the other 2.0 protege's use spark plug wires. i havent been able to verify this thats moreso where im wondering if theres a difference.

some vehicles with coilpack engines use something similar to a reluctor ring or an ignitor on the crankshaft. next question, whose got a 2.0l block for me? cash in hand

Ive got a question. Im about to purchase a mp3 Protege, guy said he replaced the motor with a motor from a 626, would it be the same 2.0l motor?

2000+ 626 motors have the same blocks and i believe same top end. any older and it will be HLA's, shorter duration cams and a cast crank depending on years.

^^ X2 and there are a couple other differences. The cam gears are different, so is the crank pulley and the valve cover.

also the intake and exhaust manifolds but those are really external. the exhaust cam has a gear on it to drive the distributer. not too sure of all the accessories like PS, AC, starter and oilpan etc. though they should work or be similar.

just curious has anyone ever swapped a protege FS into a 626 or MX6? it would make a great upgrade! add ZE cams and you can go from 118 to 140/150hp on a budget.

Well I asked him which year 626 he got it from, and he said from an 00-01. Im not sure if he just got the bottom end or the whole long block. Im picking it up tomorrow for my gf for $2800. Its yellow, pretty clean. Drives quite well although im used to my DSM power lol. Interior is really clean, id say 10 out of 10. Heres the link to the ad. I know the guy so I talked him down to $2800. Only has few dings, and a crack in the rear bumper. Clear coat peeling on the top also but a new paint job wont be hard to get.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2237133732.html

All the maintenance was recently done also, timing belt, oil pan gasket, water pump, head gasket, rear and front main seals, valve seals...etc. All the essential usual maintenance. Only downside is it has no muffler, normal radio unit, and stock mazda chrome 5 spoke wheels, im guessing from a protege or a 626.

those years are the best from the 626 and im pretty sure identical to the protege FS. i say do it. cheep for a car that seems to keep dropping in numbers.

i just bought a jdm FS-DE. am i going to be looking at any big differences putting this motor in it? do i need jdm ecu? also if anyone can give me some insight on this motor. i bought it from a very reputable company for $700 shipped. 65,000 miles. on corksports website these jdm cams cost more than this whole engine. how can i identify once the motor gets here that it is what its advertised to be

jdm ones are distributer driven and obd1. so you will need to change out the crank pulley for sure, valve cover with the cam sensor(maybe cam gears too?).

is it a fs-de or fs-ze? some fs-de had the ze intake cam. but defintily not the exhaust cam. best bet is when you pull the valve cover to check it out.

i believe someone did this and had some problems(because they didnt change these parts) so id search and try and find the thread.

no this is actually a coilpack motor thats coming to me. it looks completely identical to the usdm fs-de, thats why im wondering if im getting lucky and getting a motor that drops right into the mp3 and has the better cams and only 65k

the 626/capella/protege one on the site?

everything looks the same except the exhaust manifold and intake manifolds are different. also it looks to be running the 1.8 style coilpacks?

also says 130/135hp below.

its probably just a regular FS-DE with the same cams we have.

Back