What Other Cars Do You Have Beside Your CX-5?

Posting from Google photo's doesn't seem to be working, but our other two cars are a 2017 RS3 and a 2016 Golf R.

Last edited:
I'm mostly a lurker here, but I'll play!
From newest to old:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT / Premium
2011 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4, 68k miles
2001 BMW 530i Sport, 5 speed with Dinan upgrades, 202K miles
1970 Chevy C10 stepside, slightly customized and the only one worth a picture!

Last edited:
Posting from Google photo's doesn't seem to be working, but our other two cars are a 2017 RS3 and a 2016 Golf R.
I really like both of those.
I have been watching so many car reviews of exactly those two models in the past several months. Mainly the 2018 Golf R and mainly because of a couple rides in a coworker's 17 tuned GTI. Last Thursday he took me to his secret road in NW Atlanta where I got to experience how quick this car is and then also see how it handled in normal traffic with the DSG. I was extremely impressed by the GTI. He thinks I am crazy for even considering the Golf R for another $10K, but most of the reviews have mentioned the perks of the R over the GTI. Plus I like the new Audi like digital dash on the R. The one thing he admitted and I have seen with the GTI is the DSG shifts fast, but it has so much torque that he has a bit of tire slip at take off, whereas, the R with the AWD does not. At rolling speeds he can keep up with most stock Golf R because the tune puts it up to about the same torque / HP. For the RS3 I can afford it, but very doubtful my wife would agree with the price.

Have you been happy with both cars so far?

I have been watching so many car reviews of exactly those two models in the past several months. Mainly the 2018 Golf R and mainly because of a couple rides in a coworker's 17 tuned GTI. Last Thursday he took me to his secret road in NW Atlanta where I got to experience how quick this car is and then also see how it handled in normal traffic with the DSG. I was extremely impressed by the GTI. He thinks I am crazy for even considering the Golf R for another $10K, but most of the reviews have mentioned the perks of the R over the GTI. Plus I like the new Audi like digital dash on the R. The one thing he admitted and I have seen with the GTI is the DSG shifts fast, but it has so much torque that he has a bit of tire slip at take off, whereas, the R with the AWD does not. At rolling speeds he can keep up with most stock Golf R because the tune puts it up to about the same torque / HP. For the RS3 I can afford it, but very doubtful my wife would agree with the price.

I just sold my completely stock 2017 GTI Sport two weeks ago...for the money, the GTI is hard to beat as far as an all around good performer. Coming off of 15 years of AWD cars (2003 WRX, 2013 WRX, & 2016 Audi SQ5), I can tell you that for the MK7 GTI, FWD is it's downfall. It does a great job of controlling torque steer, but wheel spin is an issue. The R being AWD resolves that issue, but it is priced with some pretty hefty competition and typically, dealers aren't dealing on them much. I am interested in hearing Maximum's input comparing his RS3 and R!

2016 ND, MX-5 GT, heavily modded.

vv8AreK.jpg

eTqPGhf.jpg

02f393fe6203c4c329f0735cf194ca78--internet-los-simpson.jpg

Here is our current stable...

Wife's DD is a 2016.5 CX-5 GT
attachment.php

My DD is a 2008 MX-5 SE
attachment.php

Our daughter is driving the wife's former DD, a 2010 3i Touring (passed the keys to her upon getting the CX-5)
attachment.php

Our son drives a 2008 Mazda 3s GT
attachment.php

Attachments

• Emilia - PC Wheels3.jpeg
    Emilia - PC Wheels3.jpeg
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Blue.jpg
    Blue.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 2008 Mazda3.jpg
    2008 Mazda3.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 480
Very happy so far.

Everyone keeps talking about how Golf R's are $10k, but that's only really true if you're looking at an entry level GTI. When we bought our Golf R, they were (if memory serves) $39,900 CAD with the 6MT, and the DSG pushed it to $41,999 CAD (which is what we have). A similarly equipped top-of-the-line GTI was hovering around $37K at the time. I'm not really into tuning so I don't know what it costs to get a GTI producing Golf R HP, but possibly getting TD1'd and only having front wheel drive seems to make the $5k jump to the R pretty small.

Anyhow, AWD is a must for us living up in Canada and I personally don't like the feeling of having to hold back on a car because it can't get the power down effectively.

The R itself is a great little car, very chuckable, fun to drive and deceptively quick. The DSG makes it a giant killer. Before the RS3 I had a B8.5 S4 6MT and felt for sure it was faster than the wife's Golf R. But after a few on-ramps and highway runs together I found I couldn't pull away from her (hence the RS3 ). There are more visceral cars in that price range, but I'm not sure they combine the daily livability of the R with the performance.

It took me a little while to warm up to the RS3 coming out of the S4; I missed the low-end torque and instant response of that SC 3.0L V6. What I came to realize is that that always available torque lulled me into a somewhat sedate driving style; why shift gears when there's torque everywhere? Driving the RS3 in a similar fashion resulted in a bit of a meh feeling.

I'll just cut to the chase, when I started driving the $h!t out of the RS3 I fell in love with it. It's a bonkers car, but you have to give it the whip. I'd never go back to the S4. I have the reverse stagger package and I have yet to feel the car understeer on me. The S4 had the sports diff and there are corners on the way home where the S4 would push by the RS3 just sticks.

I do wish the RS3 felt a little more solidly built like the S4. There's too much wind noise coming off the mirrors for my taste, and I've had to silence a few interior rattles with some felt tape.

I have been watching so many car reviews of exactly those two models in the past several months. Mainly the 2018 Golf R and mainly because of a couple rides in a coworker's 17 tuned GTI. Last Thursday he took me to his secret road in NW Atlanta where I got to experience how quick this car is and then also see how it handled in normal extremely impressed by the GTI. He thinks I am crazy for even considering the Golf R for another $10K, but most of the reviews have mentioned the perks of the R over the GTI. Plus I like the new Audi like digital dash on the R. The one thing he admitted and I have seen with the GTI is the DSG shifts fast, but it has so much torque that he has a bit of tire slip at take off, whereas, the R with the AWD does not. At rolling speeds he can keep up with most stock Golf R because the tune puts it up to about the same torque / HP. For the RS3 I can afford it, but very doubtful my wife would agree with the price.

Very happy so far.

Great feedback. Thanks for the response.
I would be happy if I could my wife to agree on the Golf R. The reason that I stand a chance is that out of hot hatches / small performance cars is that it will not catch her attention as much as other cars. Great thing about the GTI/Golf R is they looks so much like the econo version of a regular Golf. No over the top we must make this thing look like a real life transformer Honda Type R that would get her attention.

While the Audi also has a more mature sporty look, I know I could not get the RS3 past her in terms of price tag. I've seen some impressive YouTube videos of the RS3. One popular reviewer posted 3.7, 3.6 and 3.5 0-60 using a vbox. That is as fast as some supercars and just a little slower than the Tesla Model 3 performance. If I could though my ultimate DD pick would be a Porsche Macan Turbo. Not near as fast as the RS3, but has the utility side to it.

Back