What kind of treadlife are you getting out of the OEM tires?

cmfireman

:
2014 Mazda 6 Sport
Well, with 26k on my 14' 6 Sport, the 225/55/17 Yokohoma Advan A83's are due for a replacement. These tires are $203 a piece on Tire Rack and I just don't feel like they were worth $800 over their lifespan. I have no complaints about dry traction, but wet traction got a bit worse over the last few thousand miles. Light snow traction was nonexistant for an "all season" tire. I also feel like they were a bit loud as far as road noise goes. I'm not sure why Mazda chose this tire as the OEM.

I'll be putting on a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires in the same size. These tires were rated as the best grand touring all seasons on Tire Rack, and I'm getting them for a great deal. Disount Tire is price matching a website I found called tirecrazy.com, and Pirelli is offering a $60 rebate, so when all is said and done I will have $570 in a set of 70,000mile tires out the door.

I will try to post a couple of updates because tires change as they wear, and all you can ever find are reviews for brand new tires.

Stock OE Dunlop 5000s and already at 8/32" after 4000 miles. I predict I will only get 15-20K miles out of these with proper rotation. I plan to replace them with Michelins. The P7s would be great on your 17s, 70K mile warranty!

29k on stock Dunlop and still well over half tread. Kind of surprised actually. Hoping to get 60k out of stock tires.

Well, I've got over 600 miles on the P7's and I have to say I'm dissapointed. Not in the tire itself, It seems to handle just as good as the Yokos, and wet traction is leaps and bounds better. I hit a puddle that I would have slid across with the Advans and I never felt it with the Pirelli. What I'm dissapointed in is the road noise of the Mazda 6 itself. I thought the new tires would remedy the problem, as I thought the Yokos were just loud tires. The P7 is reccomended as a very quiet tire, yet I could tell hardly any difference once installed. So again, so far the tire is great. Good dry traction, great wet traction, great ride and it'll be about a year before I can test them in the snow.

Dang Mazda. I'm all about some Zoom-Zoom, but I would have gladly sacraficed 50-75lbs extra curb weight for a quieter interior. Now maybe I'm just overly road noise sensitive, but I am going to be looking into ways to quieten the cabin a bit.

Update everybody. Took my car in for 30k rotation of tires-found out 2 tires had bands broken in them. Replaced with 18" rims and 245/45/18 Pirelli P7 Centuriato tires with 70k warranty from Discount Tires. Not going to put tires on every 30k with stock 19" rims. Sold the Mazda 19" rims for $450 to a co-worker who is going to stuff them under his 2008 Mazda Speed3

Update everybody. Took my car in for 30k rotation of tires-found out 2 tires had bands broken in them. Replaced with 18" rims and 245/45/18 Pirelli P7 Centuriato tires with 70k warranty from Discount Tires. Not going to put tires on every 30k with stock 19" rims. Sold the Mazda 19" rims for $450 to a co-worker who is going to stuff them under his 2008 Mazda Speed3

How do you like the P7's? I'm at 7k on mine and they seem great still. No visible wear, and great wet and dry traction.

I have 9k on them so far with no visible wear and definitely love the 18" more than the stock 19". They ride smoother and are much quieter. Anxious to see how winter traction is with them vs. the stock junkers. Just put some P4 Pirelli's on my wife's Jeep Patriot. What a difference those made vs. the stock Firestone Affinity....

Well, the Pirelli P7's are on the wear bars here at 30,000 miles. I run 35psi at all 4 corners and rotate every 5k miles. They are rated for 70,000 so I am more than disappointed. Looks like I'll be trying some Michelin Premiers.

Well, the Pirelli P7's are on the wear bars here at 30,000 miles. I run 35psi at all 4 corners and rotate every 5k miles. They are rated for 70,000 so I am more than disappointed. Looks like I'll be trying some Michelin Premiers.

I have 26k on the Pirelli's currently and haven't shown much wear yet. STill at least half tread and still riding great. Hopefully will get close to advertised 70k out of them.

I have 26k on the Pirelli's currently and haven't shown much wear yet. STill at least half tread and still riding great. Hopefully will get close to advertised 70k out of them.

What kind of pressure are you running? Mine have plenty left on the edges but are to the wear bars in the middle. This indicates too much pressure, yet I'm running 1psi less than the door sticker suggests. I do drive on a very curvy 30 mile road twice a day to and from work. That may be the cause.

What kind of pressure are you running? Mine have plenty left on the edges but are to the wear bars in the middle. This indicates too much pressure, yet I'm running 1psi less than the door sticker suggests. I do drive on a very curvy 30 mile road twice a day to and from work. That may be the cause.

I believe I am running the pressures that says on the door? Honestly, I just take it to discount tires every 7500k to get them rotated and have never asked what they put in them. I belive it's probably 32-35 psi. They are wearing even all the way accross the trade life.

These Dunlop's have a lot of issues, at my local tire shop these Dunlop Sport's were all sitting on the side with bubbles in the sidewall. Would not be surprised if a class action lawsuit started against this. I made a claim with them but they said it was a pothole...of course.

I actually checked mine last week just for the heck of it and found they only had 30 psi. I pumped them up to 35 psi for a little less rolling resistance I hope. But mine currently have 30k on them and are wearing even across all the tread life and still easily have half tread left.

Just a bit of a thought to ponder-the 19" tires are very expensive in every brand. I got 18" wheels and tires for only $200 more than just Michelin 19" OEM size. The new 18" tires have double to treadlife warranty and are much cheaper than the factory size. Just my opinion. They also ride a bit smoother and don't have near the road slap noise.

Well, with 26k on my 14' 6 Sport, the 225/55/17 Yokohoma Advan A83's are due for a replacement. These tires are $203 a piece on Tire Rack and I just don't feel like they were worth $800 over their lifespan. I have no complaints about dry traction, but wet traction got a bit worse over the last few thousand miles. Light snow traction was nonexistant for an "all season" tire. I also feel like they were a bit loud as far as road noise goes. I'm not sure why Mazda chose this tire as the OEM.

I'll be putting on a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires in the same size. These tires were rated as the best grand touring all seasons on Tire Rack, and I'm getting them for a great deal. Disount Tire is price matching a website I found called tirecrazy.com, and Pirelli is offering a $60 rebate, so when all is said and done I will have $570 in a set of 70,000mile tires out the door.

I will try to post a couple of updates because tires change as they wear, and all you can ever find are reviews for brand new tires.
Good info. Will follow your lead when tire replacement comes due.

Back