What have you done to your Protege today?

well i was happy because i got a smoothy and when i pulled in i'm pretty sure i bumped my head into the roof, but i imagine the car doesn't like how i drive- it likes the mods... just not how i drive.
Next up we're looking to add a mazdaspeed badge to the front grill, and some serious rust repair-

Well I was in a painting mood again.......... So today I finished stuff in my engine bay plus stripped my trunk of all stereo stuff. Now I need to come up with a new design ;)

Pics coming once I back the car out of my garage.........

Rob

Hello!
This is my first post here, now that I've got a Proteg..
So I bought it last week with a small mechanical problem for 2500 US dollars, fixed for cheap. Everything else works.
2002 Mazda Proteg LX 137k miles
Spent all of my extra time cleaning everything out, so I took pics at night, haha
G6gfM.jpg

GdmTI.jpg

shift boot is out currently, making a "custom" one right now
aBG8u.jpg

wheels need a bit of love, I'll get to them later...(hopefully)
MeKlL.jpg

this also happens to be my first car!

Last edited:
Well, now that I can see, I've put in my recently finished shift boot and repainted cup holder
I had been looking around for shift boots, but then I thought about making one; it doesn't seem difficult. "How hard can it be?" Well it was dirt cheap, since all i needed was a piece of imitation leather from Walmart, about $5 for half a yard, and plenty left over. My dad does rugs with serge and binding [insert advertisement here], so I had the tools to sew it together(Okay, I give in; I have no idea how to work sewing machines). Had to take old boot apart, but it was ripped already and didn't need it. Add some fancy red stitching and done. Also the cup holder was pretty scratched up, so i used a black enamel spray I found laying around.

cgGSg.jpg

0G3QW.jpg

OXPIM.jpg

I've got to do something about the steering wheel, it's heavily worn on the sides, but not sure what or when (open to suggestions)
3xb57.jpg

And here's a daylight tease photo.. :D
ivCx1.jpg

Painted my hoodpins/ washers and touched up some other stuff yesterday.
jVvUiIr5dvP25.JPG

jn9UyAVwZ4BM8.JPG

Anybody else have to enter there driveway like this everyday?
jjUp8hChnyW8L.JPG

Rob

looks good you guys!

and i exit like that every day, except i pull my rear wheel about 6 inches higher up haha

Nothing big, just painted up a spare set of wiper arms since mine were faded and started to have little bit of rust showing through on the edges.

0531121852.jpg

Joka, I like your bay but have you considered a nicer/smaller battery or relocating it? The battery you got, no doubt must be a nice one, looks like it was meant to turn over tractor trailer trucks.

my angle wasnt very good so i didnt pick up too much but here it is. no 6 inch difference but eh ;)

IMAG0820.jpg

IMAG0823.jpg

Joka, I like your bay but have you considered a nicer/smaller battery or relocating it? The battery you got, no doubt must be a nice one, looks like it was meant to turn over tractor trailer trucks.

My battery is just a Optima Blue top. The Holder I have is a little big but I like it.

Rob

Nothing big, just painted up a spare set of wiper arms since mine were faded and started to have little bit of rust showing through on the edges.

Thanks for reminding me, I have been meaning to repaint mine for a few weeks. I never remember until I wash the car and see the rock chips in the black paint.

Rob

Took my car to the Fritz Drumm field of dreams the other day to make up for the time i haven't been spending with it.
-I guess that's the field back there.

fieldOfDreams.jpg

purchased a shift "Extender", and received it on saturday.

first, a couple of pictures:
Before-

attachment.php

After-

attachment.php

a little bit about my "previous" set up... i have a KartBoy shifter, and yeah, its that low. its very 'miata' like in its height, precision, and throw. VERY short. sometime, it almost feels too short.

i tried to show in the pictures the difference in height. pictures are in first and second gear.

so, i wanted to try something different. the shift extender adds about 2.5" to the height, and a little bit to the throw. however, it also smoothed out some of the notchiness from having such a short shifter. it is a lot more comfortable to use, and the knob is now a lot closer to my natural hand position. the down side, is that it adds more throw distance to the shifter. kind of counter to the philosophy of a short shifter. not sure if i'll keep it or not, but i'll use it for a little while and see how it goes.

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 883
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 840
Back