What have you done to your P5 today?

Had to have a co-worker jump me off in the parking lot so I could get home. I assumed it was the terminal connectors since they are quite stretched (a problem I have dealt with in the past. I had replaced the corroded lead shims I used before with copper tape and that worked for the last 6 months. Once I got home and cut the car off, it wouldn't start back up. The engine bay was soaked with heat and then I noticed the battery was leaking acid. I pulled everything out, cleaned that area of the bay, and then took the MZ3 to the local auto-parts store and got a new battery.

After changing the oil a couple of weeks ago and finding that the strut tower had finally rusted through, I performed a little surgery. Just hoping to slow the progress down a bit so I can squeak a few more year out of the car. Took a screwdriver to knock out the majority of the rusted metal. Next, hit the edges with a wirebrush and cleaned everything up. Then I sprayed some Krud Kutter Must for Rust on the engine bay side and wheel well side Once that took effect I hit up both sides with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Next I attached some 1/4" hardware cloth from the wheel well side to give the epoxy a little something to stick to. Added two tubes of Rectorseal EP-200 Epoxy on the engine bay side and smoothed out the best I could with the hoses in my way. Today I bought some Rustoleum Professional Grade Undercoating which will be applied on the wheel well side. I'll sand down the epoxy a bit to try and smooth out more and then hitting that with more of the rust reformer.

What I found when changing the oil
attachment.php

Cleaned out most of the cancerous metal
attachment.php

Rectorseal Epoxy in place
attachment.php

Wheel well side
attachment.php

Attachments

• P5 - Strut Tower Rust.jpeg
    P5 - Strut Tower Rust.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 647
  • P5 - Strut Tower Cleaned Out.jpeg
    P5 - Strut Tower Cleaned Out.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 624
  • P5 - Strut Tower Epoxy Filled.jpeg
    P5 - Strut Tower Epoxy Filled.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 641
  • P5 - Strut Tower Wheel Well.jpeg
    P5 - Strut Tower Wheel Well.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 626
I wish my car was as nice as yours. Between the rust and the wiskey bumps mine looks pretty rough.

Yeah I've got some POR-15 and dr.colorchip on order to deal with rust in a few areas(small spot on roof, some in undercarriage/engine bay) but the paint is in overall great shape. Will be giving it regular waxings to keep it that way. Also planning to paint the wheels black since there's some rust damage on the edges of those.

Last edited:
EGR is cleaned and lubed, but I still bought a new one as a backup. Fixed the problems though... of course.

It actually wasn't all that bad. The inside of the valve just had some surface carbon, nothing really built up.
IMG_20130916_082055_744_zps46359992.jpg
[/URL]

It was actually just some carbon on the shaft that needed cleaned out and lubed back up.
IMG_20130916_084417_278_zps3aa072c2.jpg
[/URL]

Sorry for the cheap pics, the lighting sucked and these were the best shots I could get. But check out this guy pulling that big A$$ boat with that tiny Jeep. I work in New Buffalo, MI, only 300-400 yards from the lake, so we see boats coming and going all the time. Usually, though, the trucks are way bigger.
IMG_20130907_195331_213_zps32bfdced.jpg
[/URL]

No crazier than someone on here hauled 1100 lbs of roofing shingles in his P5. Mad props to that guy. (can't remember who though :S)

Back