What have you done to your MS3 today?

I'd say turbo if you're smoking at idle. Do you know if you have the updated valve cover?

I do not. I do have a JBR banjo bolt in the oil line, run Rotella T6 and have idle rpm bumped up +200. Those are the "standard" preventative measures, and have worked until recently.

I do not. I do have a JBR banjo bolt in the oil line, run Rotella T6 and have idle rpm bumped up +200. Those are the "standard" preventative measures, and have worked until recently.
Yeah, seen that many times in my search for cures for my excessive oil consumption. I was hoping one of those modifications could help me, but it's the exhaust side on my turbo and too far gone. I'll just wait to upgrade. Not really wanting to to back with the K04 if I don't have to.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Just purchased an AP. Still waiting on my RSB to arrive.

Replaced the front pads yesterday.

That's about it.

Also ordered a replacement PMM. The recently replaced one clamping strap becomes loose once every few days, so I ordered the entire mount assembly as opposed to the insert. Wanted an aftermarket polyurethane mount, but I've been unable to any used ones with a seller that will take current pictures with signage.

One of the sway bar brackets is bent. Wasn't disclosed by the seller and couldn't have possibly ever happened during shipping, but for what I paid and how easy it is to correct, I'm not too worried about it. Bushings are in good shape, too. Was hoping they would be so I could install this thing as opposed to waiting for new bushings.

I bought my girlfriend a ring for Christmas to draw attention away from the fact I've spent $500 on myself in the past week (that she doesn't yet know about), but it hasn't had any tracking information updates since Friday at midnight... So, now I've got an Accessport, this JBR RSB, a PMM, some jeans and maybe a TIP for myself showing up and one of only two gifts I've gotten her is currently missing. I was cutting it close with an ETA of 12/23 anyway, but now I'm actually concerned that it's lost. She's been prepared for a good two months, I wait until the week before to start buying stuff.

But, anyway... I really want to get the RSB installed and hit some back roads. I'm more excited about it than the Accessport.

One of the sway bar brackets is bent. Wasn't disclosed by the seller and couldn't have possibly ever happened during shipping, but for what I paid and how easy it is to correct, I'm not too worried about it. Bushings are in good shape, too. Was hoping they would be so I could install this thing as opposed to waiting for new bushings.

I bought my girlfriend a ring for Christmas to draw attention away from the fact I've spent $500 on myself in the past week (that she doesn't yet know about), but it hasn't had any tracking information updates since Friday at midnight... So, now I've got an Accessport, this JBR RSB, a PMM, some jeans and maybe a TIP for myself showing up and one of only two gifts I've gotten her is currently missing. I was cutting it close with an ETA of 12/23 anyway, but now I'm actually concerned that it's lost. She's been prepared for a good two months, I wait until the week before to start buying stuff.

But, anyway... I really want to get the RSB installed and hit some back roads. I'm more excited about it than the Accessport.

I have a New pair of the sway bar brackets available I was going to put up on the FOR SALE if you need them... I bought 4 new ones from MAZDA but only needed to replace 2.

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately they would do me no good with the 32mm JBR sway bar. Unless I found a bushing with an OEM OD and a 32mm ID which would make the bushing paper thing, so not likely.

I was able to find a 1.25" OD pipe, heated the bracket with the torch and hammer it back into shape. Installed the bar last night before I left the shop and DAMN! A huge, huge, huge improvement! Made sure to take the backroads home as opposed to the interstate and it makes me love the car so much more. Coming from the MSP into the MS3, the handling was an enormous disappointment, but even with just this RSB, it's so much improved that I'll be on par with the MSP soon enough.

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately they would do me no good with the 32mm JBR sway bar. Unless I found a bushing with an OEM OD and a 32mm ID which would make the bushing paper thing, so not likely.

I was able to find a 1.25" OD pipe, heated the bracket with the torch and hammer it back into shape. Installed the bar last night before I left the shop and DAMN! A huge, huge, huge improvement! Made sure to take the backroads home as opposed to the interstate and it makes me love the car so much more. Coming from the MSP into the MS3, the handling was an enormous disappointment, but even with just this RSB, it's so much improved that I'll be on par with the MSP soon enough.
One thing i have found, after playing around with setups and parts. The MS3 can get dialed in nicely in the handling and braking dept. The brakes from factory are pretty damn impressive (Volvo) and it does not take much to make them very very good
Like mines lolz.
RMM and rear sway bar are significant upgrade. Even just the Corksport insert was noticeable.
I am long past that of course. I wish i had know i would have shipped you mine insert with OEM Mount.
FSB brings the car back to neutral handling, just tighter at speed.
Have fun !!

Loaded the Stage 1 SF tune. Noticeable difference. Idles much more smooth. Boost seems to come on later though.

CS' proprietary name for their short ram intake.
I have a CAI, but figured let's see what happens.
AFRs are 11.7 under WOT at full boost (17.4).
Aggressive, but still safe.

CS' proprietary name for their short ram intake.
I have a CAI, but figured let's see what happens.
AFRs are 11.7 under WOT at full boost (17.4).
Aggressive, but still safe.

sorry I forgot that stuff.
My recent re build is using a SRI too. I had the AEM Mazdaspeed CAI installed from the dealer then later a TIP etc. Now i have a 3.5 HTP SRI direct to the CS Turbo. Maybe in spring time i will find out how that works out. Always prefered Cold air Intakes honestly. The new set up has the filter pretty close to the new Radiator ( OEM fitment). so I worry that my IAT and my BATs might rise. But maybe the new FMIC will alleviate some of it. and get me near Ambient air temps. My car ran hot last time it ran.

Happy Hollydays and Merry Xmas to you and all the Family

I figure my modifications will go like this- Fuel pump internals, upgraded intercooler (unsure as to whether or not to stay TM or go FM) and downpipe. At some point I've got to remedy this turbocharger, too. I've heard mixed reviews about the CS turbo and most seem to recommend a BNR.

It's losing oil on the exhaust side. It definitely needs a turbo, but I need to do a compression test just so I know exactly where I stand. Plugs didn't indicate the oil was from the combustion chamber.

I figure my modifications will go like this- Fuel pump internals, upgraded intercooler (unsure as to whether or not to stay TM or go FM) and downpipe. At some point I've got to remedy this turbocharger, too. I've heard mixed reviews about the CS turbo and most seem to recommend a BNR.
slippery slope once you upgrade the turbo !!
Fuel pump upgrade asap. Once you get into turbo upgrades you will likely find you will be needing many more parts to support it. Custom tunes being one of them.
I highly recommend the IC upgrade. Makes for a happier motor and matches well with the SRI, I did that and full exhaust very early on and the difference was significant. DP is plenty enough though, Lot of work my friend : )

It's losing oil on the exhaust side. It definitely needs a turbo, but I need to do a compression test just so I know exactly where I stand. Plugs didn't indicate the oil was from the combustion chamber.
you know about the recall/ upgrade from mazda in regard to the faulty design in the crankcase breathing system ?
I did not qualify because i was overly modded : ( But now i run a two catch can system.
I replaced my turbos when i got shaft play from over boosting. running over 21 with out a proper MAP sensor. And i bought the CS because it is a drop in. with the advantage of running 25lbs safely. I have read all the articles and arguments since day one. I have number 7 i think.
Thats your choice. If i really wanted to go for it i would have bought a Garrett with ext wastegate. But by then i am doing a big build with all the internals.
That will be next, at some point. like as soon as i bend a rod
lol

Yes, I did a lot of research into it right after purchasing the car. I've considered the banjo bolt and OCC's to help but I don't believe that to be the cause to the problem. When I installed my intake, there was a very, very small amount of oil present, nothing to write home about. While yes I agree that I need to upgrade the PCV system, I don't believe it's attributing significantly to my oil consumption. I don't get visible smoking when idling, but the odor of burning oil can be detected after 10-15 minutes of idling. I removed a replaced the PCV last week as maintenance, but hasn't really made any difference. I'm consuming a quart every ~450 miles with a lot of WOT. If it were 1,000 miles, I wouldn't be as bothered by it. I'm running 10w30 T5, not T6. Absolutely no external oil leaks. Charge piping is clear and clean. Spark plugs read healthy. Something I need to check, though, is running the engine at 2,500RPM and checking the oil filler outlet for suction or pressure.

Look in my sig at the MSP- 6 years, 7 engines (4 stock, 3 built), 9 transmissions. I'm not fearful of working! I enjoy it.

I see so many people that go upgraded TMIC only to go to a FMIC later on, so I figure I might want to skip that unnecessary step and go FMIC. Fuel pump internals are my next mod goal power wise. I completely understand I'll need that for a FMIC and DP.

Last edited:
Good note !
Thats alot of oil. How do the plugs look?
I was told from day one go FMIC but i wanted the stealth look : )
The car would clean up BAT very quickly after sitting in traffic with the top mount. Is was no good for the drags though. It would heat soak in the staging lanes.
After installing the Big front mount i was very disappointed actually. Sure the air temps look better but the boost does not hit as hard as it did. Very smooth and linear. Probably a good thing. But i sincerely have thought about going back. and i also ran into hotter coolant temps. Only so much airflow to the rad. I am working on directing more air to that this year. It was noticeable enough that i bought a KOYO Radiator and replaced ALL my coolant lines plus thermostat to be sure. Coolant flushed and will be using a different fluid next summer. Like i said i read so many opinions about FMIC Vs TMIC.
seat of the pants tells me my BIG Top Mount hit harder.

I wish i bought the fuel pump internals earlier on. Easy to do too , for someone like you
: )

Good note !
Thats alot of oil. How do the plugs look?
I was told from day one go FMIC but i wanted the stealth look : )
The car would clean up BAT very quickly after sitting in traffic with the top mount. Is was no good for the drags though. It would heat soak in the staging lanes.
After installing the Big front mount i was very disappointed actually. Sure the air temps look better but the boost does not hit as hard as it did. Very smooth and linear. Probably a good thing. But i sincerely have thought about going back. and i also ran into hotter coolant temps. Only so much airflow to the rad. I am working on directing more air to that this year. It was noticeable enough that i bought a KOYO Radiator and replaced ALL my coolant lines plus thermostat to be sure. Coolant flushed and will be using a different fluid next summer. Like i said i read so many opinions about FMIC Vs TMIC.
seat of the pants tells me my BIG Top Mount hit harder.

I wish i bought the fuel pump internals earlier on. Easy to do too , for someone like you
: )

Oh, I know! Plugs looked okay. I have pictures somewhere. I'll find them and upload them.

I agree with the "stealthy" look. But everyone complains of heatsoak. I don't do drags. Not my thing. I'm always on the backroads in the mountains (live 40 minutes from "The Dragon"). I like curves. Don't think I'd be too affected by heat soak for that reason. I like the AP and viewing data. Definitely want the V3, but for now the V2 will suffice. After battling oiling issues with the FS and getting that sorted, I, being an idiot, cooked #4 running lean, so I'd rather not go down that path with the MZR. Fuel pump internals are soon!

Latest posts

Back