What have you done to your Miata today?

That is great Grandpa Bruce!

I have been thinking of adding wireless Android Auto via an adapter but didn't want to pay $100 or more for it. Saw that the Motorola MA1 adapter was on sale for $70 at Best Buy. I got a $25 GC for Christmas, so after tax it was $50 out of my pocket. Going to be nice not needing to plug the phone in. Plus, I can now use the second USB port for charging if needed.

@Reitrof So far it has been working great Bruce. It is great being able to leave my phone in my pocket.

Only issue I have had so far is AA not loading and infotainment screen staying black. A quick unplug/plug of the dongle resets it. This used tonhappen when I was wired too and I would unplug/plug the phone back in to reset.

That is great Grandpa Bruce!

I have been thinking of adding wireless Android Auto via an adapter but didn't want to pay $100 or more for it. Saw that the Motorola MA1 adapter was on sale for $70 at Best Buy. I got a $25 GC for Christmas, so after tax it was $50 out of my pocket. Going to be nice not needing to plug the phone in. Plus, I can now use the second USB port for charging if needed.

My understanding is that the USB ports don't source enough current to charge a phone properly. Not without the CarPlay/AndroidAuto upgrade module that is (for cars that didn't come with this from the factory).

@Conrad 16.5 I did have the dealer install the upgrade module shortly after taking delivery as I wanted AA. Does the second USB port (non-ACP/AA) in the upgrade module offer faster charging than the standard USB ports?

When I ran AA wired, I never used the second USB port and never saw a significant battery charge increase when running Waze/Spotify while the phone was plugged in. Running wireless, I wanted to check the charging capability of that second USB port, this is what I experienced on one commute ride home (using a Samsung brand cable and running Waze/Spotify): Started the car at 4:03pm with phone battery at 56%, pulled into my driveway at 4:34pm with phone battery at 70%.

@Conrad 16.5 I did have the dealer install the upgrade module shortly after taking delivery as I wanted AA. Does the second USB port (non-ACP/AA) in the upgrade module offer faster charging than the standard USB ports?

When I ran AA wired, I never used the second USB port and never saw a significant battery charge increase when running Waze/Spotify while the phone was plugged in. Running wireless, I wanted to check the charging capability of that second USB port, this is what I experienced on one commute ride home (using a Samsung brand cable and running Waze/Spotify): Started the car at 4:03pm with phone battery at 56%, pulled into my driveway at 4:34pm with phone battery at 70%.

Based on what I've read, here and elsewhere, only one of the USB ports (on cars that have had the upgrade CP/AA module installed) can source the proper amount of current to charge your phone. That port is marked in some way to indicate its charging capabilities. Since I don't have the upgrade for CP/AA, on either of my Mazdas, I can't tell you for sure.

If you're wanting to plug your phone in any way for charging, why bother with wireless?

Took Bluey to his first cars and coffee in Englewood FL at Winks breakfast bar! Great turnout!

Attachments

• FA806A3D-57C6-4847-9D5A-ECD1F3EBB3DA.jpeg
    FA806A3D-57C6-4847-9D5A-ECD1F3EBB3DA.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 68
  • FE1C7ECF-8C94-4738-9A7F-840038033F9F.jpeg
    FE1C7ECF-8C94-4738-9A7F-840038033F9F.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 74
Based on what I've read, here and elsewhere, only one of the USB ports (on cars that have had the upgrade CP/AA module installed) can source the proper amount of current to charge your phone. That port is marked in some way to indicate its charging capabilities. Since I don't have the upgrade for CP/AA, on either of my Mazdas, I can't tell you for sure.

If you're wanting to plug your phone in any way for charging, why bother with wireless?
The top port has a picture of a phone next to it, I know this is the port to use for wired ACP/AA. The second port has no markings and I always guessed it was similar to the ports in the non-ACP/AA modules. Perhaps it is upgraded too but not marked?

I only tested to see how well/fast it charged in the case of a longer trip. I am confident enough now to plug the phone into the second port to charge if/when needed to get me to my destination while still running with my nav and music. Had it been mediocre, I would have invested in a 12v charger to plug into the 12v port in the PS footwell for when charging was required.
Took Bluey to his first cars and coffee in Englewood FL at Winks breakfast bar! Great turnout!
Nice Mark! Please, oh please tell me you took advantage of those pop-ups and winked while at Winks! :D

Need to order more parts for Mia. Needs all new align bolts and cams for up front. Last wheel align the tech told me he couldn't heat them up anymore, worried they'd break.

Ran the Mazda 2 in it's 1st rallyx and managed a 3rd, beat out 4 AWD subies. Car held together well with no issues. Took me most of the day to figure the car out and managed to be within 4 secs of the fastest FWD class.

Next race this Sat.

Need to order more parts for Mia. Needs all new align bolts and cams for up front. Last wheel align the tech told me he couldn't heat them up anymore, worried they'd break.

Ran the Mazda 2 in it's 1st rallyx and managed a 3rd, beat out 4 AWD subies. Car held together well with no issues. Took me most of the day to figure the car out and managed to be within 4 secs of the fastest FWD class.

Next race this Sat.
Nice Bruce!! 👍🏻

The top port has a picture of a phone next to it, I know this is the port to use for wired ACP/AA. The second port has no markings and I always guessed it was similar to the ports in the non-ACP/AA modules. Perhaps it is upgraded too but not marked?

I only tested to see how well/fast it charged in the case of a longer trip. I am confident enough now to plug the phone into the second port to charge if/when needed to get me to my destination while still running with my nav and music. Had it been mediocre, I would have invested in a 12v charger to plug into the 12v port in the PS footwell for when charging was required.

Nice Mark! Please, oh please tell me you took advantage of those pop-ups and winked while at Winks! :D
I didn’t!!!!!☹️next week!

Next race this Sat.
Given your mileage and use of the car, can't be too upset with needing those things!

Nice work in the rallyx and good luck this weekend!
I didn’t!!!!!☹️next week!
And the week after and the week after that and the week after that.....enjoy retirement! :D

Given your mileage and use of the car, can't be too upset with needing those things!

Nice work in the rallyx and good luck this weekend!
Thanks, no complaints considering the age and mileage.

Managed a 2nd on Saturday and beat more AWD's.

I had a co-driver this time and it was his first time out. Did very well considering but got stuck twice.

Top down drive to C&C. Sun shining, roads clear thanks to some rain last week. Temp was about 25 degrees. Not a problem with the right clothes.
🥶👍🏻
My cars and coffee this morning….

Attachments

• 197D829C-E29F-4522-A24A-F87D0C70FA2D.jpeg
    197D829C-E29F-4522-A24A-F87D0C70FA2D.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 51
  • F62D6DDB-3E7E-4C1E-B98D-70EFD018CC77.jpeg
    F62D6DDB-3E7E-4C1E-B98D-70EFD018CC77.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 60
  • C1F96267-F5FC-47F7-8B5E-24A6464CA570.jpeg
    C1F96267-F5FC-47F7-8B5E-24A6464CA570.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 72