What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Because filters get clogged with trapped particles. That's quite literally a filters job. It's the same reason you replace air filters, oil filters, fuel filters, and cabin filters.

So I need to lift my car to get to the resonator. I think it has a hole somewhere. Or maybe I just want to remove it a go to straight pipe. Either way I need ramps that would allow me to lift the front end. I have ramps but they are to steep and the front end won’t clear them. Any ideas??? I thought about just getting some wood and carriage bolts to attach them to the ramps. Then cutting a incline at the rear of them.

So I need to lift my car to get to the resonator. I think it has a hole somewhere. Or maybe I just want to remove it a go to straight pipe. Either way I need ramps that would allow me to lift the front end. I have ramps but they are to steep and the front end won’t clear them. Any ideas??? I thought about just getting some wood and carriage bolts to attach them to the ramps. Then cutting a incline at the rear of them.
Yeah, wood is always a good idea.

Why not just use a jack and jackstands though?

Yeah, wood is always a good idea.

Why not just use a jack and jackstands though?
Well I do have both jackstands and a low profile jack. I’m just lazy to be honest. It’s just so much easier to lay down the ramps and drive up on them.

You can build some ramps out of 1x6 boards. An alternative is buying second-hand on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist/Kijiji.

IMG_20210512_164327.jpg

Painted my hood, next is the Spoiler.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_164317.jpg
    IMG_20210512_164317.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 91
Been a while since I've posted.

Just a quick oil change and tried to fit a freebie set of wheels from my brother.

20210513_141411.jpg

20210513_132522.jpg

Looks great but pokes out in the back. I load my P5 a lot and rubs pretty bad in the rear.

20210514_155350.jpg

17x8 et 35 on 215.45.17. Bought camber bolts and still rubs on near stock Tein H.Techs. I might sell this set and buy a proper set for my suspension.

Been a while since I've posted.

Just a quick oil change and tried to fit a freebie set of wheels from my brother.

View attachment 298479

View attachment 298480

Looks great but pokes out in the back. I load my P5 a lot and rubs pretty bad in the rear.

View attachment 298481

17x8 et 35 on 215.45.17. Bought camber bolts and still rubs on near stock Tein H.Techs. I might sell this set and buy a proper set for my suspension.
Those wheels look good! Try stepping down to a 205/45-17 or a 215/40-17 tire. OR a mild roll on the fender might help, too. OR OR a set of adjustable rear controls arms can help pull the wheel inward away from the fenders.

Here's an illustration I did of what I'd like to do to our 5! Our van is in need of new front struts (200,000km on original struts), so I'm thinking of upgrading the springs at the same time. I did some research and it looks like Mazda Tribute front springs would fit the 5's struts. This would certainly lift the front! My rear springs (off a CX7) are already showing signs of sagging, so I may add some coil spacers to help lift the rear a bit more. We'll have to see how well those CV axles hold up and if an alignment shop can get a proper alignment done.

View attachment 227666

Status update?

After about a month of not getting my front sway bar bushings installed (the typical popping noise from the front) I finally took it to my mechanic to do. bolts were hella tight and I could only break one loose, so I soaked everything in penetrating oil. Then tendinitis flared up in both wrists and it was almost impossible for me to actually pull a wrench hard enough to break them loose without hurting myself.

End result, FSB bushings weren’t replaced. They dropped the subframe and found they were actually fine. The bushings on both LCAs were worn and had been creaking for awhile, so those got swapped out. Also discovered my transmission pan was rusted as hell, leaking, and they could stick a pen through the gasket. So new pan/filter/fluid. Also tracked down the popping noise….. one of my front strut mounts with ~10k miles on it was dead and the strut was smacking the strut tower. Now my front end is all quiet again.

Also replaced my horns (again). This is the second set I’ve had just die, probably because they were whatever was available at the auto parts store and they were just crap. Replaced the most recent wolo trumpets with hella sharptones.

Status update?
Nothing new suspension-wise. Had to do brakes all around, including replacing both rear callipers. A couple other issues have popped up as well — got a major exhaust leak somewhere, a vacuum leak, and some clunking/rattling in the rear. Gotta tackle those before I do anything "fun". But I gotta think long and hard how much longer I want to keep the 5. I am considering the possibility of parting ways. It's held up well for 235,000km, but I'm worried about it becoming a money pit.

Will keep you posted!

Nothing new suspension-wise. Had to do brakes all around, including replacing both rear callipers. A couple other issues have popped up as well — got a major exhaust leak somewhere, a vacuum leak, and some clunking/rattling in the rear. Gotta tackle those before I do anything "fun". But I gotta think long and hard how much longer I want to keep the 5. I am considering the possibility of parting ways. It's held up well for 235,000km, but I'm worried about it becoming a money pit.

Will keep you posted!
Double check the rear shock mounts. Common rattle on the 5.

Double check the rear shock mounts. Common rattle on the 5.
Yeah, I was suspecting those, but I replaced them about two years ago when I updated the rear shocks — they're still holding up.

I'm thinking it's the stabilizer links. I replaced them a little over three years ago with cheap replacements from NAPA. Anything I buy from NAPA seems to last a couple years tops. Except rotors — those seem to last only a couple of months before I get bad vibration. Might be my fault though, not cleaning the hub surface properly before putting the new rotors on. That, or pad material build up.

Yeah, I was suspecting those, but I replaced them about two years ago when I updated the rear shocks — they're still holding up.

I'm thinking it's the stabilizer links. I replaced them a little over three years ago with cheap replacements from NAPA. Anything I buy from NAPA seems to last a couple years tops. Except rotors — those seem to last only a couple of months before I get bad vibration. Might be my fault though, not cleaning the hub surface properly before putting the new rotors on. That, or pad material build up.
Quite possible. turns out my exhaust heat shield is rattling around the middle of the car. Need to get it up on ramps and see if a fastener came loose.

138K old car maintenance

Coolant leak:
-Denso radiator
-OEM thermostat
-NPW water pump
-Felpro oil cooler gasket
-Flush (couple of times) and bleed system

Oil leak:
Felpro valve cover gasket
OEM Oil Control Valve and OEM OCV gasket

Back