What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Friday, I took the 5 back to the dealer where we purchased it from, in an effort to figure out WHY we haven't had heat at all for around a week (in under 30 degree weather.) Needless to say, with only 18,000 on the clock, there had to be something wrong. After around an hour, the dealership mechanic came back and informed me that the coolant overflow tank was DRY and there was little coolant left in the radiator. They then went on to run pressure tests and a bevy of others, or so I'm told. After only an hour or so of waiting, I got a 2013 Mazda6 Grand Touring with the 2.5 as my "loaner" vehicle, and plan on getting my 5 back tomorrow. I got a call from the dealership that said the wait could be attributed to the fact that they're replacing the thermostat, water pump, and a few other odds and ends for good measure. I have NEVER before received such quality service from a dealer, and would hands-down recommend them and Mazda to anybody else.
I’m sure your experience in person is probably much better but what you described is standard protocol. They have a serious problem here. I wonder if pressure test is referring to compression test or leak down test. I hope the coolant is leaking somewhere OUTSIDE of the car and not in the motor… Hope everything works out for you!

Last edited:
Just bought a new stereo off eBay plus a dash removal tool kit to help with the process when it arrives. Will post pictures when it is in. First time doing something like this so those pictures may be a little AFTER it arrives :)

I put a GameCube in! Just plugged it in to the rear of the overhead dvd player, I bought a power cord off amazon that plugs right into the lighter. This may not constitute an actual mod, but my daughter loves it

I’m sure your experience in person is probably much better but what you described is standard protocol. They have a serious problem here. I wonder if pressure test is referring to compression test or leak down test. I hope the coolant is leaking somewhere OUTSIDE of the car and not in the motor… Hope everything works out for you!

There is a pressure test specifically for the cooling system. Usually you pressurize the sytem through the radiator cap and look for leaks.

If you can't find it (and you are certain it's an external leak, not internal like a head gasket), then put UV dye in the system, then use a black light to search for the evidence.

rodslinger said:
After you remove the spindle/strut bolt, stick a thick washer or quarter in the slot on the back of the knuckle lining it up with the bolt hole. Now stick the spindle bolt back in on the threaded side and tighten it down. It will bottom out on the washer or quarter in the slot and spread the knuckle enough for the strut to slide right out. At least it does MOST of the time. Should save you a bunch of whacking.
Great advice! Thanks. I just didn't understand why the need for knocking it out with sledge.

Option #1: Sledge
Option #2: Strut spreader tool
Option #3: Quarter method
Option #4: Air hammer

If you have compressed air and a Harbor Freight available, pick up an air chisel:
image_19542.jpg

and an air hammer bit:
getimage.php

for under $10 total.

It took longer for me to put in my ear plugs when using the air hammer, than it did to pop the control arm off the strut (30 seconds?)

Obviously $10 is more than the $0.25 required for the quarter method above, but you can use the air chisel/hammer for other projects now - you we all know you can never have too many tools... :)

got an engine cover from a wrecked 5
mine didn't have one when i got it, so it's the best 4$ i spend today !
just have to clean it since it's really dusty and wondering if i should paint it and what color should i do it

Spark plugs and air filter. 80,000 on the plugs and air filter looked bad enough to warrant replacement. Not a bad job at all. Oil in spark plug area of # 1 cylinder, I will have to watch this and might need to replace valve cover gasket. Dave J

Oh, I am also a strong advocate of pink Hello Kitty engine covers! Unless you think Power Rangers would be a better idea!! Dave J

1st oil change (680mi), 5% rear tint. I kind of regretted draining so much oil after only a few weeks of ownership. The juice still looked a bit "amber" on the way out. But hey, I'm old, and I like things anachronistic, so...

Just really happy the '12+ M5s have a spin-on filter, and perfect cut-outs in the front undertray for 1 bolt oil change. Thank you Mazda.

Time for some maintenance.
2014-01-15095053_zps47573274.jpg

Did an oil and filter change and replaced the front brakes.
2014-01-16103514_zps1fb5776e.jpg

Finally replaced front and rear sway bar bushings; clunking is gone! Also found that one of my Kumho LX platinum's is separating -- ordered new tires and have scratched Kuhmo's off any future tire consideration.

Last edited:
Back