What have you done to your CX-9 today?

20230513_181724.jpg

I washed it kinda
20230513_095022.jpg

And added a new tyre

Did you use the corksport springs or coilovers?

Corksport springs. Less than $500 CDN vs well over $2500 if I went with coils. Since I don't want to go too low, I figured the springs would be fine. 0.5" lower would have been perfect, but still pretty happy with the result!

Corksport springs. Less than $500 CDN vs well over $2500 if I went with coils. Since I don't want to go too low, I figured the springs would be fine. 0.5" lower would have been perfect, but still pretty happy with the result!
Ah that gap looks more appealing, but I really don't want to lose the height that I have now on stock as I have moved on with the modding life. :(

that looks just about perfect! Specially with your wheels! If it’s a pavement princess there shouldn’t be an issue with lowering it. Unless you pull up too close to parking blocks or curbs. I’m going to be doing that to mine this year too. I’m still happy that corksport finally listening to the CX-9 owners! CX-9 still has the highest ground clearance compared to Pilot, Highlander and Explorer so even after lowering, it’ll just be a little below the competitors height. I like it!

How is the handling? Did anything change? Corksport said it was a little stiffer. Also, did you reuse your stock shocks and struts?

that looks just about perfect! Specially with your wheels! If it’s a pavement princess there shouldn’t be an issue with lowering it. Unless you pull up too close to parking blocks or curbs. I’m going to be doing that to mine this year too. I’m still happy that corksport finally listening to the CX-9 owners! CX-9 still has the highest ground clearance compared to Pilot, Highlander and Explorer so even after lowering, it’ll just be a little below the competitors height. I like it!

How is the handling? Did anything change? Corksport said it was a little stiffer. Also, did you reuse your stock shocks and struts?

Thanks! Yeah it's a pavement princess, it rarely goes off pavement and when it does, its only on gravel roads or grass. And yeah, CorkSport is pretty responsive to the community, it just seems that there wasn't as much interest back when I submitted my product request for lowering springs for the CX-9 back in 2019, and again in 2020. It's such a subtle change in height, but the look is much more noticeable to me. It just looks right now lol

Handling doesn't feel like it changed much, to be honest. It might be better when pushing the car to the limit in corners, but I don't really need to do that so I can't say for sure. It is a bit stiffer going over bumps, but not by a large amount. At least, not enough for my wife to notice a difference, but I can tell. The car is still on the original shocks and struts.

Thanks! Yeah it's a pavement princess, it rarely goes off pavement and when it does, its only on gravel roads or grass. And yeah, CorkSport is pretty responsive to the community, it just seems that there wasn't as much interest back when I submitted my product request for lowering springs for the CX-9 back in 2019, and again in 2020. It's such a subtle change in height, but the look is much more noticeable to me. It just looks right now lol

Handling doesn't feel like it changed much, to be honest. It might be better when pushing the car to the limit in corners, but I don't really need to do that so I can't say for sure. It is a bit stiffer going over bumps, but not by a large amount. At least, not enough for my wife to notice a difference, but I can tell. The car is still on the original shocks and struts.
Yeah I can’t wait to do mine! But it’s going to have to be at the end of the year sometime. Mine is also a pavement princess. Haha. I took it “off-road” one time when we went camping. But it wasn’t really off-road, it was just uneven dirt. Lol. I took it to the snow one time but even then, if I go back I don’t think it’ll be low enough to be a plow. I guess in a good way it’s better that it’s a tad bit stiffer that way if you make a grocery store run, or put some heavy stuff in the back it won’t sag too much. I like it. Good job corksport! Can’t wait to put mine on.

On another note, I remember seeing that you had issues with your JB4, is it all good now? I’m originally from California but recently move to Nevada. Planning on going back though, I don’t care so much for the Californias politics but my family is worth the move back. I miss them! But I was asking about your JB4 because they don’t sell it in California. Since I’m in Nevada, I can get it while I’m here if it’s worth while.

Yeah I can’t wait to do mine! But it’s going to have to be at the end of the year sometime. Mine is also a pavement princess. Haha. I took it “off-road” one time when we went camping. But it wasn’t really off-road, it was just uneven dirt. Lol. I took it to the snow one time but even then, if I go back I don’t think it’ll be low enough to be a plow. I guess in a good way it’s better that it’s a tad bit stiffer that way if you make a grocery store run, or put some heavy stuff in the back it won’t sag too much. I like it. Good job corksport! Can’t wait to put mine on.

On another note, I remember seeing that you had issues with your JB4, is it all good now? I’m originally from California but recently move to Nevada. Planning on going back though, I don’t care so much for the Californias politics but my family is worth the move back. I miss them! But I was asking about your JB4 because they don’t sell it in California. Since I’m in Nevada, I can get it while I’m here if it’s worth while.

I think it's still got plenty of clearance. I don't think I'll have any issues in the snow at this height. I've driven this lowered IS250 AWD in our winters and never had any issues.

11949839013_5c2cd4cb5a_o.jpg

I have noticed that it does take some weight to really feel it in the suspension, even with the OEM springs. The CX-9 handles weight really well.

Yeah the issues I had with the JB4 were just user issues. I wasn't performing the install correctly and that's what led to my issues. It's been working perfectly fine since then. I would definitely say that the JB4 is worth it for sure, it's the best bang for your buck if you want more power. I don't really have the opportunity to get the most out of the JB4 since I'm stuck with 91 only here, but it still gives a really impressive boost to power even with 91. I'm planning to do a 0-100 km/h time comparison at some point.

Nice. How was it? And how many miles before you decided to do it?

Went pretty well. This was my first time doing an ATF drain and fill ever, and it was only a little bit more difficult than changing the engine oil due to making sure the fluid temps were correct. Took longer to do because I had to remove the air filter and because the plastic shielding on the underside is held on by a bunch of screws and fasteners.

I did the drain and fill at 92.5k kms (just shy of 57.5k mi).

You follow a guide on YT or another write-up here? Thinking of doing mine soon along with the brake fluid flush.

I followed @Silly Wabbit's guide in the Resources section.

It's a great guide, and @MIMazdaowner provided some extra pictures in the guide that proved to be useful as well. The guide also includes instructions for dropping the pan and changing the transmission fluid filter as well.

Back