What have you done to your CX-5 today?

My plain old non-leather steering wheel is worn out at 12 o*clock just like any other car I*ve had. Lucky me, I found and purchased a salvaged leather steering wheel on eBay for $65! Looks like it*s in great condition. I can*t wait until it gets here to install it!

Now if I could find some replacement leather or vinyl armrests for my stupid cloth door panel armrests, I*d be set :D

20190703-203704-2.jpg

Full treatment with optimum optiseal, opti car wax and opti instant detailer today.

All bearings replaced and back on the road. Replaced the oil pan and got an updated one too (no more hex bolt).

Main culprit. Spun 90*, and the oil valley grooves on th bearing were eaten away (basically that gap on the sides of the bering near where the ends meet is missing material). Luckily we have a forged crank. Just used some 1000grit to remove scrape Mark's and replaced all 4 (8) bearing.

65775930_10161882624705487_1112786663018332160_o.jpg

Ive always been skeptical of online/social media ads.

Shine armor is the easiest product Ive ever used.

Comparison: I tried the new Meguiars ceramic wax in the blue bottle on my sons 17 Mazda3....wayy too much effort and it didnt come out as slippery or shiny.

06cfcd0bf5e243c558148db6f43702e0.jpg

f7a5631a6dcaa3cf26a8aa7e645cd39a.jpg

Damn, that looks nice. Looking it up, just a spray wax?

Sadly, because of some paint work, they told me not to use wax, sealant, glaze for 90 days.

I*ve always been skeptical of online/social media ads.

Shine armor is the easiest product I*ve ever used.

Comparison: I tried the new Meguiar*s *ceramic* wax in the blue bottle on my son*s 17 Mazda3....wayy too much effort and it didn*t come out as slippery or shiny.

Is that Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat? It looks great. Have you had a chance to see water behavior on the treated car yet?

Is that Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat? It looks great. Have you had a chance to see water behavior on the treated car yet?

Was thinking the same thing, get out there and put some road wear on there and report back...

Yes, its the fortify quick coat.

Ill never do the advertised waterless car wash.

Last edited:
My steering wheel came early! It only took about 45 minutes to install. I swapped my old stock 2013 Sport non leather steering wheel for a salvaged leather bound wheel from a 2014 Touring. It looks great! I followed the cork sport directions: https://corksport.com/support/instructions/AXM-9-342-WEB.pdf installation was less involved as the wheel I bought already had the button clusters present.

Remove air bag, unscrew wheel, screw on new wheel, reinstall airbag. Whoop whoop!

My steering wheel came early! It only took about 45 minutes to install. I swapped my old stock 2013 Sport non leather steering wheel for a salvaged leather bound wheel from a 2014 Touring. It looks great! I followed the cork sport directions: https://corksport.com/support/instructions/AXM-9-342-WEB.pdf installation was less involved as the wheel I bought already had the button clusters present.

Remove air bag, unscrew wheel, screw on new wheel, reinstall airbag. Whoop whoop!
Does this include the cover over the airbag (the part you'd press for the horn), or just the wheel?

Just the wheel. The Mazda logo/horn/airbag are all one module held in place with 3 tabs. I reused my old airbag module/horn cover as it was perfectly fine. Based on the pics of the car this wheel came from it*s airbag was toast for sure!

Last edited:
I vacuumed mine and threw in MAXpider floor mats. Wiped down interior with Maguire*s interior detail spray. Then deleted all the Sirius XM stations on my favorites.

Last edited:
Just the wheel. The Mazda logo/horn/airbag are all one module held in place with 3 tabs. I reused my old airbag module/horn cover as it was perfectly fine. Based on the pics of the car this wheel came from it*s airbag was toast for sure!
Ah ok. Still trying to find a replacement for this. OEM includes whole airbag unit at several hundred dollars, and covers I found on eBay without the airbag looked and felt different and I ended up sending back. The search continues.

fafa5cb8b4a43d1533872bfa1031b293.jpg

Ah ok. Still trying to find a replacement for this. OEM includes whole airbag unit at several hundred dollars, and covers I found on eBay without the airbag looked and felt different and I ended up sending back. The search continues.

Have you tried using a Magic Eraser to "buff" that out? Test the eraser on an inconspicuous area first, then see if it works on the scratch.

Have you tried using a Magic Eraser to "buff" that out? Test the eraser on an inconspicuous area first, then see if it works on the scratch.
What you see is the result after somebody told me to try a heat gun. Trust me it's a deep scratch magic eraser won't do jack.

Back