What have you done to your CX-5 today?

This mod is getting ultra common but here is my wheel plastidip success. It looks really good and my wheels are now protected. I'm going to do my chrome emblems, grill and roof rails soon...
http://imgur.com/a/z7EGA
Protected from what? You really think that thin coat of vinyl is going to save them from curb rash? I'm with banjos-n-beer; I'll be really glad when this blacked out wheel thing runs its course!

Plastidip has its place in the auto world. Covering up nice looking, pristine wheels is not one of them. Beat up, curb rashed winter wheels? Sure, go for it. I almost decided to "dip" my winter rims but I'm going to paint them instead

Since when did bad opinions become so prevalent in this thread. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banjos-n-beer sounds pretty white trash to me since we're broadcasting our opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relax everyone, its what making owing cars so fun, there is so many different mods to do to a car and each person has their own take on what looks good. Purplengold, dipped his wheels, so what, it's not what I would have done, hence the reason my wheels are not dipped. If he ever decides to change his mind he can peel the dip off and go back to the stock look. And Purplengold, don't take everything so personal. You posted a mod you did on a forum with other people passionate about the same model of vehicle you drive, of course there is going to be some who don't like and they will tell you that. At the end of the day, do what you like and makes you happy. Take the criticism under advisement and move on. If you want to paint a white unicorn shooting flames from it's mouth with a likeness of you riding it while wearing a loin cloth wielding a giant sword then so be it, but you'll probably be laughed at a bit on an internet forum, it's just the nature of the anonymity that comes with the internet.

Any real mods?
fantasy-fireball-04.gif

Relax everyone, its what making owing cars so fun, there is so many different mods to do to a car and each person has their own take on what looks good. Purplengold, dipped his wheels, so what, it's not what I would have done, hence the reason my wheels are not dipped. If he ever decides to change his mind he can peel the dip off and go back to the stock look. And Purplengold, don't take everything so personal. You posted a mod you did on a forum with other people passionate about the same model of vehicle you drive, of course there is going to be some who don't like and they will tell you that. At the end of the day, do what you like and makes you happy. Take the criticism under advisement and move on. If you want to paint a white unicorn shooting flames from it's mouth with a likeness of you riding it while wearing a loin cloth wielding a giant sword then so be it, but you'll probably be laughed at a bit on an internet forum, it's just the nature of the anonymity that comes with the internet.

+1

Good or bad is personal opinion, I don't mind someone says my car looks ugly, or even I look ugly. I'd say the dip job is nice but hid the elegant two-tones of the rim, so yes, made it look a little cheap (yeah, shot me down), but it may look better depending on the car's color. As for protection, the plastic layer can protect against road salt and liquid chemical, just don't know how durable it is, and definitely not gonna protect against being sanded by a curb. But as Ride92 mentioned, you can always peel it off or re-apply it. I'm even thinking about having fun by spraying the wheel selectively with black or red to add some highlighting to it, no permanent harm anyway.

To stay on topic, as mentioned in another post, I removed the A/C vents, waiting for the sunny weekend to PlastiDip the chrome trims. Probably will install the Curt II hitch, too, and possibly getting a Swagman XC2 rack.

Was finally able to get the new tires mounted. I'll reserve judgment on their sporting pretensions until I (more likely the wife) scrubs the tread surface of the release compound, but first impression is they ride nicely and are quiet.

CX-5 Update

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum, have been following it for a while just never made an account. Big fan of Chris_Top_Her.
Here is a update on what I have done to my CX-5.

Plastidipped Rims, Roofracks, Emblems black.
Installed RockBlockz Mud Guards.
Installed and tinted yellow DRLs.
Hella Supertone Horns. Yellow.
Tinted yellow fog lights.
Tinted Rear Brake lights.
Yellow Wind Faring.
CorkSport SRI (Short Ram Intake) Yellow Air filter cover added.
CorkSport Axelback exhaust.

Currently Installing UltraRacing Strut Bar. Painted Yellow.

Feel free to follow my Instagram at T.Winnick.

See attached image of my CX-5.
IMG_8454 1.jpg

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum, have been following it for a while just never made an account. Big fan of Chris_Top_Her.

Yellow Wind Faring.

View attachment 213979

Welcome, and thank you. Keep up the good wok (2thumbs)

The red stripe on the grill was on my list of details to try on my Should Red CX-5, hopefully JSB33 won't mind. I think it looks good on a black vehicle but on my red CX-5 might look tacky.

Hey Everyone,

Yellow Wind Faring.

View attachment 213979
What roof racks do you have with wind shield? I have Thule roof racks with no wind shield and they make a ton of noise. I took them off because of it. Do you have the same issue, or is it because of the spacing between bars l, or does the wind shield help that much?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hey Everyone,

Yellow Wind Faring.

View attachment 213979

Cool a fellow CT CX5'er, looks nice, I'm in Fairfield!

Last edited:
The red stripe on the grill was on my list of details to try on my Should Red CX-5, hopefully JSB33 won't mind. I think it looks good on a black vehicle but on my red CX-5 might look tacky.

Don't mind a bit, I take it as a compliment. I did it on my last car and had a few people do the same after seeing my car.
Hopefully it works out for you.

Don't mind a bit, I take it as a compliment. I did it on my last car and had a few people do the same after seeing my car.
Hopefully it works out for you.

Do you mind showing a pic of the hood protector from further ?

Also have a black 2016 and was wondering how it would look.

Thanks!

Do you mind showing a pic of the hood protector from further ?

Also have a black 2016 and was wondering how it would look.

Thanks!

Gladly, just as soon as it stops pouring , we are ready to float away right now.

Back