What have you done to your CX-5 today?

What percentage did you use? OC is not far from me.

35%. I actually got pulled over for speeding but he cited me for the windows as well. I would have rolled them down right away but they were freshly tinted so I gambled he'd let me slide. Cool thing is the guy that tinted them said he'd strip and re-tint free of charge. So yesterday I had them stripped and went to the police station to get it signed off. Cop signed off on it without leaving his seat. (pissed)

Last edited:
35%. I actually got pulled over for speeding but he cited me for the windows as well. I would have rolled them down right away but they were freshly tinted so I gambled he'd let me slide. Cool thing is the guy that tinted them said he'd strip and re-tint free of charge. So yesterday I had them stripped and went to the police station to get it signed off. Cop signed off on it without leaving his seat. (pissed)
Wow, ticketed for a 35% tint in SoCal! Who'da' thunk it? I have 35% on my fronts in NorCal and have never been bothered. This is my first car with tinted windows and it really doesn't seem that dark to me. And you guys down there need it more than we do!

Was it only for window tint or did they tack it on with other charges? What's your front tint at?

I was pulled over for speeding, he just busted me for the windows as well. I've got a slightly darker tint on the fronts in my truck and have been popped twice for them, both times pulled over specifically for the tint. Everyone I talk to is surprised so I think I've just been unlucky. As mentioned previous front tint on my CX-5 was 35%.

Temperature be damned (it was 28) I installed the Curt class III hitch and wiring harness. Looks very nice. Just wanted to be ready in case the hood I'm picking up tomorrow doesn't fit in the back (according to the template I made it will, but you never know when Murphy will stick his nose in).

Temperature be damned (it was 28) I installed the Curt class III hitch and wiring harness. Looks very nice. Just wanted to be ready in case the hood I'm picking up tomorrow doesn't fit in the back (according to the template I made it will, but you never know when Murphy will stick his nose in).
Did you have a hand? When I reinstalled mine I had to use my whole body to install the damn thing, it was like a dry hump position.

I did it myself. I used a hydraulic jack with 2 tie down straps to balance it. No problems [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added a Curt trailer hitch, C13127, purchased from Etrailers.com. Shown is the 1-up bike rack.
VoSnbGl.jpg
[/IMG]

I left the car home and got it detailed while I was at work by a guy with great reviews on Yelp. I came home and under the lights in my garage I saw what appeared to be hundreds of lines on the hood. It didn't look like it was in the paint but when I wet my finger and rubbed on them they weren't going away either. I started freaking out and called the detail guy who came right over. At first he said that was normal, then he said he didn't do it, then he said he'd try to fix it. Which is it right?! He went to work with a buffer and some goop and when he was done it looked better but I could still see the lines. I couldn't wait to get up this morning and take it out of the garage in natural light and sure enough the lines were invisible outdoors. A huge wave of relief washed over me as you can imagine. I'm not sure if that's normal or not or if they were there all along and I never saw them before but if it doesn't show up in natural light then I guess I won't worry too much about it. Pretty scary though.

Last edited:
I left the car home and got it detailed while I was at work by a guy with great reviews on Yelp. I came home and under the lights in my garage I saw what appeared to be hundreds of "scratches" on the hood. It didn't look like it was in the paint but when I wet my finger and rubbed on them they weren't going away either. I started freaking out and called the detail guy who came right over. At first he said that was normal, then he said he didn't do it, then he said he'd try to fix it. Which is it right?! He went to work with a buffer and some goop and when he was done it looked better but I could still see the "scratches". I couldn't wait to get up this morning and take it out of the garage in natural light and sure enough the "scratches" were invisible outdoors. A huge wave of relief washed over me as you can imagine. I'm not sure if that's normal or not or if they were there all along and I never saw them before but if it doesn't show up in natural light then I guess I won't worry too much about it. Pretty scary though.
Have you observed his tools? Many people take their cars to these high tech carwashes that do thing like shine your tires and stuff.. also scratch your paint with the brushes, but people swear by them. That being said I would not trust a yelp review because many don't consider small scratches made by poor washing practice (like the "soft" auto brushes).

Have you observed his tools? Many people take their cars to these high tech carwashes that do thing like shine your tires and stuff.. also scratch your paint with the brushes, but people swear by them. That being said I would not trust a yelp review because many don't consider small scratches made by poor washing practice (like the "soft" auto brushes).

Yelp was all I really had to go on which I guess is better than nothing. He's got 23 reviews, 21 5 stars and 2 3 stars. 23 doesn't sound like a lot but it was more than any other mobile detailer in my area and some literally raved about him. Anyway he showed me the circular buffer thing he uses and it seemed soft and not likely to cause scratches. I asked if he washes cars too and he said he graduated from that a long time ago, strictly detail. In the daylight the car looks absolutely beautiful. He scotchgarded the carpet, treated the leather and put spf40 on it I guess. He treated all the plastic inside and out as well. Him and another guy spent 3hrs on it according to the wife. He charged me $170 and I had her tip him $30 before I discovered the marks. The fact that he came back and worked on it another 1/2 hour or so makes me feel somewhat better about it. It's quite possible I took delivery like that and never noticed it or maybe that's just what wax looks like under my garage lights.

Why would you have this done to a brand new car?!

Had it detailed?? Why not? I don't think they do anything at the dealership to protect the leather, paint, carpet, interior and exterior plastic etc...If you're asking why didn't I do it myself it's simple. I don't have the time.

Did you have a hand? When I reinstalled mine I had to use my whole body to install the damn thing, it was like a dry hump position.

I had my youngest pump the floor jack while I maneuvered the hitch into position. It's something I could have done by myself but it was easier with an extra set of hands (and hopefully he learned something).

Made a 15 hour trip to GA to pick up my RX-7 hood. The trip was worth it.

I had to use a floor jack to help getting mine on as well.

I had my youngest pump the floor jack while I maneuvered the hitch into position. It's something I could have done by myself but it was easier with an extra set of hands (and hopefully he learned something).

Lets see this RX-7!

She doesn't look as good as this anymore, but that will change:

8062820206_1771cf7bb9_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back