What engine oil does a 2013 CX-9 use?

Hi, does anyone know what kind of engine oil the 2013 CX-9 use? Is it synthetic or conventional? The manual only says it's 5W-20. I called up Mazda USA and didn't get an answer. They want me to go ask my local dealership. However, I don't think my dealership knows either, because everytime when I get an oil change there, I can always expect a different answer. They ended up telling me they will just use whatever is in my car.

The choice is yours really.
There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to use conventional, synthetic blend, or full synthetic oil. You decide.
Personally, I've been using full synthetic in all of my vehicles for close to 20 years, but that's mostly because of the harsh winter climate that I live in.
Synthetic flows better at cold/freezing temperatures.

Upvote 0
I agree with @Buzzman12, use whatever you'd like. I personally would recommend full synthetic just for the extra bit of added protection. Costco's Kirkland Signature synthetic oil is a great option if you don't want to break the bank (or if the more widely recognized brand names aren't on sale at the moment).

Upvote 0
I always use full synthetic. It takes far longer to degrade than conventional so it protects your engine well even at the end of the OCI. Plenty of other advantages to it as well, especially if you live in extreme climates.

Upvote 0
Use regular oil if you do regular oil changes, use synthetic if you want to pro-long oil changes or spend more money.

Upvote 0
Back