What do you think of this idea?

MacAttack7

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)
I saw a new 2012 Mazda2 advertised for $12,000, but for now the sale is over.
If I see it at $12,000 again I was thinking of buying it.

Then I was going to sell my current 2011 Mazda2 on Craig's List or something like that & try to get $12,400 for it.
(KBB says $12,422 for Good, $12,822 for Very Good, $13,272 for Excellent).

So when it's all done I'd be out no money & have a brand new car again with new everything & a fresh warranty vs my 2011 car which has been driven for a year & has 18,000 miles on it.

Good idea or bad idea? I've never sold a car before, so I'm not sure how tough it is to sell one.
I'd be fine with $12,000 or above.

It could be, or it could be not. Depends how it turns out.

Not sure about the sale (never sold a new car myself), but I'd say it's not easy to sell an "almost new" car for the almost price of a new car. It's easy to sell an enthusiast car, but a regular daily driver -- you'll get asked: "Why do you sell it if it's almost new?" and stuff like that. A lot of strange people answer those sale ads too (in my experience) -- not weird, just not serious buyers (wasting your time, basically).

I, personally, would be too lazy to run through all that hassle. And you still going to pay taxes (likely).

Right now with the economy the way it is, KBB and NADA values are worthless. Dealers aren't giving anywhere near book value for trades and a lot of them, not all, are selling their used below those kbb and nada values as well. You'd be better off keeping it or talking to your Mazda dealer about a trade even though you won't come out even on that deal, that's for sure.
My 2 is my 19th car and I've sold them private party and traded at dealers. It's tough right now. You could end up buying the new 2 and be stuck with your 2011 for quite awhile.

is ur car fully paid? or u still owe money on it? if the car is still under finance ask the lender how much would it be for an early loan payout theres sum company that takes a huge discount if u pay the car early. but there are some that charges u since ur paying off the car before the loan maturity. selling a car is not that easy. kbb is just a guide line on how much the car is worth but in reality u wont sell the car for that amount cuz just like u and me we like to haggle. honestly i dont think its worth it, cause u have to pay for taxes again and u have to restart the loan again.

is ur car fully paid? or u still owe money on it? if the car is still under finance ask the lender how much would it be for an early loan payout theres sum company that takes a huge discount if u pay the car early. but there are some that charges u since ur paying off the car before the loan maturity. selling a car is not that easy. kbb is just a guide line on how much the car is worth but in reality u wont sell the car for that amount cuz just like u and me we like to haggle. honestly i dont think its worth it, cause u have to pay for taxes again and u have to restart the loan again.

Thanks for the thoughts.........maybe it's a little too risky; it's still in the back of my mind though.
My 2011 is fully paid for.
Taxes are not an issue; don't have to pay them here.
A loan isn't really a requirement. I could pay cash.

Even if I came out $500 negative I'd still be happy.
$500 to trade a 1-year old car for a brand new car would be a good deal I think.
That would be an extra year of warranty, new brakes, new tires, new clutch, etc.
So I don't know.........your posts make me think twice about doing it.

I think I have a gambling nature that doesn't always point me in the right direction. :)

Back