What do you think of these mods?

bopphead

Bought our 09 Grand Touring. It had all the black lower plastic trim sprayed blue to match the body and some chrome trim. Also the wheels were chromed. I wasn't too keen on it at first but now I love it. Although keeping it shining could qualify as a part time job !! Get to buy lots of new Meguiars stuff though. Makes a Porsche Cayenne look like an old LTD Wagon.

Attachments

• DSC02741.JPG
    DSC02741.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 1,130
  • DSC02740.JPG
    DSC02740.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • DSC02743.JPG
    DSC02743.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSC02744.JPG
    DSC02744.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC02745.JPG
    DSC02745.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 1,024
Looks great...if you like chrome. Not my cup of tea though. I hate chrome, main reason I got a new 20" OEM silver wheel/tire set from finnfour83 (Adam) here in the forums.

When I looked at the photos I was surprised to see that someone actually did the same chrome strips like I did. No kidding. I did them within weeks of buying mine.
No chrome wheels or pillars nor repainting the plastics for me.

I thought about black glossy pillar covers, though... still might do it.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of Chrome. Are those the stock rims? I'm one of the few people here who likes the chrome around the windows, but I agree with the last few posts that the chrome around the pillars is a little much. I do really like the paint on the black plastic pieces. I always thought it would be nicer to have those match the car, plus I hate having to detail them separately.

I like to monochrome look but what I like about the dark plastic is the protection it provides from road debris. With it all painted, it looks nice but is subject to chips.

I'm with the others and don't like the chrome pillars. However, the chrome strip looks good.

I think the chrome wheels are ok if you didnt do the chrome pillars. It becomes too much chrome at some point.

Ok!

Actually to me, the chrome pillars give the vehicle a "salon" look. Very formal, and should be driven by a chauffeur. To my eye, ,the striking change is that the lower cladding painted to match the Stormy - seems to lower the whole car, even with the more pronounced chrome wheels. So, I guess you can put the family in the 2 back seats, get a nice little cap, and fill up the passenger seat with McGuire's.
Bottom line is it has an individual look - and being a half step different is why I bought my CX-9 rather than the new Venza - which the wife preferred because of our great luck with the Prius.

Chuck
"Stormin - Sport"

Thanks for the kind words. I can appreciate different opinions since I was conflicted when we saw it at the dealer. It has grown on me since we purchased it. (plus I couldn't imagine trying to remove the chrome around the door pillars !!) I kinda wish I could lower the car an inch or so. The dealership did the paint and chrome work for the senior member of their family. Unfortunately he passed away and they put the car on their lot with only 5500 miles on it. Since there were so few used CX9's around I decided to "accept the bling" :) Just kidding, I love it.

Back