What did you pay for your CX-5?

I am in semiconductor-related industry.
All signs point to chip shortage easing up by end of 2022.
We will continue to see shortage for the 1H/2022.
EVs are popular now. An EV needs 2-3X more chips than an ICE vehicle.
Evs will consume most of the chips by the time end of next year rolls around still leaving a shortage for ICE vehicles regardless unless auto manufacturers start to become self sufficient and produce their own chips in house. We also have no idea what mutated COVID will bring to society during that time. The world is a s*** show right now.

Watch YAA on YouTube. Those guys are incredible and know the sitch.

I still own my ‘13 CX-5, but I’m waiting to trade my ‘19 RAV4 ICE for a new ‘21 RAV4 Hybrid. Same scenario as most here: my trade in is worth more now then when purchased 2 years ago, but it’ll be a 20-60 day wait for a new Toyota. I found the one dealer willing to sell at MSRP with a reasonable doc fee, and without a $2k dealer added “tint and carpet floor mat” option.

...unless auto manufacturers start to become self sufficient and produce their own chips in house.
It costs billions to build a chip fab and automakers have no expertise in such matters. It would cost more billions to buy out one of the smaller contract manufacturers instead. Even then, how many different chips do you need? One smaller bought out contract manufacture would have trouble flip flopping all the manufacturing runs.

Tesla has been mumbling about designing their own chips and there has been a rumor Hyundai will be doing the same. Even that's a steep learning curve and would require a lot of outside hires unless they mean they are going to contract the design work. I suppose the advantage of a propriety design is that when you contract the manufacturing somebody else can't outbid you on orders for generic designs. On the other hand, if there are two contract manufacturers for those proprietary designs and one has a fire or natural disaster strike a plant you'd come up short. Frankly, I'm not seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
General thoughts on "is this a good price" - a long read but I think it has some useful insights, for at least some

Cars are selling at current market prices, just like meat is. If you don't want prime rib you can order a lesser cut - or lesser car

Dealers are getting in less than 10 cars a month, and maybe as few as 5. Generally all dealers are going to be competitive with each other depending on how badly THE OWNER wants to sell a car. - As I mentioned in another post, one dealer I spoke to will forgo the dealer add-on crap on a car they have coming in that just got off the boat in San Diego, while another dealer told me the owner absolutely will not sell any car without their $1,900 dealer package.

That said, it is very hard to pit one dealer against another for the same car as a particular color or trim may not exist at more than one dealer.

Dealers have little need to 'make a deal' as they don't have many cars to sell anyway. Admittedly, they may not have many customers either. I was at a dealer for about 45 minutes on a Sunday and not a another customer came in in that time, so maybe the dealer did want to move the car that's on it's way here now - I got what I believed to be a smokin' deal on that car and my trade, not necessarily a good financial choice, but a great deal

Where is this going? - you're going to pay 'market price'. That's not good or bad, it just is what is. When cars are heavily discounted that is also market price - for that point in time. If it's not a financial burden, don't let a $1,000 stand in the way of something that is going to give you years of pleasure. I don't think that a new Mazda is going to cost you any less a year from now.

I'll end on this - I've always got my best deals when I simply call a dealer and say "I'm ready to come in tomorrow and give you X for the car you have on your website. If you can do that, great, I'll be in in the morning. If not, I respect your position" - I never do the "come in and we'll talk and see what we can do" - they already know what they can do but want you to come in to give you the "well, we can't sell it for $32,000, but how about $$33,500, that's only $25/month more" Nope - I do the complete deal on the phone, I even did my upcoming deal with my trade on the phone, even with my last 2 cars which weren't even at the dealer ship yet

Last edited:
My local dealers are selling CX-5 GT-R and Signature models at MSRP.
For lower end models, no. (+$500-$2k, depending)
On stickers, $5K ADM for all models.
In reality, higher end models are more negotiable. (hence, @MSRP)
This is near SF bay area.

PM me if you need the dealer/salesman info.
I am looking to buy a CX-5 GT-R/Signature, but they do not have the color my wife wants.
Do you mind sharing that info with me if you don't mind please. Looking for a price on a 2022 CX5 Signature, if you have the contact of a salesman around SF Bay area it would be greatly appreciated.

I am in semiconductor-related industry.
All signs point to chip shortage easing up by end of 2022.
We will continue to see shortage for the 1H/2022.
EVs are popular now. An EV needs 2-3X more chips than an ICE vehicle.

Do you mind sharing that info with me if you don't mind please. Looking for a price on a 2022 CX5 Signature, if you have the contact of a salesman around SF Bay area it would be greatly appreciated.
2022s are not out yet and won't be soon. They are delayed for many months according to dealers. Only 2021s remaining and no more being built. 2022s don't warrant the wait and they certainly won't be just MSRP price. I'm sure dealers will put a premium on them

Maybe Mazda should follow BMW, which ships vehicles to dealers with missing parts to be installed later... ;)
In case of BMW, USB ports are missing.

Purchased a new 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo AWD (with black interior) about a month ago in NC.

MSRP: $33,435
Selling Price: $33,235

Add the typical NC dealer fee plus TTL.

Only a $200 discount on the new CX-5, but I got a great trade-in value from the dealer for my low miles 2019 VW GTI SE (just over $30k)… which is a little more than I paid for it new OTD more than 2 years ago. Used car values are crazy right now so there are still good deals to be made if you have something good to trade-in!

Another out of state Mazda dealer was about $1k lower on the new CX-5 Carbon Turbo but they wouldn’t give me a good enough value on the GTI trade-in without seeing it first.

The 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo AWD is definitely the way to get your best bang for the buck on the better engine. The turbo engine is going away for the 2022 Carbons so you’ll have to step up to the new 2022 Turbo trim (which is $37k+). Get the few remaining 2021 Carbon Turbos while you still can!

Last edited:
By now you guys know where I stand on garbage like this. But, I am fortunate to have 4 Mazda dealers within 20 miles of me so that gives me a little advantage over those of you who live in a 1 or t2 dealer town. For me there's always someone willing to make less money on a sale. The thing is, and some of you know this - you found the car, you drove the car, you agreed to a $500 under MSRP, then they throw this at you and they know that you're not leaving without the car you want so they'll get you to pay at least over half of the price of that crap on the car. - you're tired of looking so they'll talk you in to the "only" $33.00/month or whatever.

And some of you have even said here "I probably could have got the car for less but I isn't want the hassle/argument." You don't think they know that - it's what they do for a living and they get coached on it every day at the AM meetings.

This was on a display car at Costco, with the dealer add-ons. If you look at them the usually almost look like a sticker from the factory. Hard to read, but they are....

GPS Alarm $899
Premium Protection _fancy wax or maybe ceramic? - $699
Window Tint $399
Edge Guard and Door Cups $189

Almost $2,200 of questionable utility, or overpriced by at least twice what you could either do it yourself or have a cheap stereo store do it for. As for the "we have to charge you, it's already on the car" My answer is "you may have to charge someone, but not me, I'm not buying it then"

Notice how official they make this addendum look

PXL_20211204_183552177.jpg
PXL_20211204_183630412.jpg

Last edited:
We bought a barely used CX9 about six weeks ago. Also just helped our daughter buy a new CX5 Touring with Preferred last week. They only had three left in that trim on lot and was told no more cars coming in until Feb. Made a verbal deal to buy a blue one with no extras except cargo net for msrp. Came back next day as planned and they screwed up and had sold the blue. Agreed to sell a white ($395 extra) plus extra mats, cargo cover, and net for same price as agreed previous day. Got KBB average price plus $1k trade in for a six-seven year old Jetta with 92k miles which was about $3500-4k more than last years value. Can't argue with deal, especially considering what VW and KIA and others are trying to do with outrageous "market adjustments". Mazda dealers around here don't seem to be putting ridiculous add ons to sticker msrp. Philadelphia area.

Things aren’t as bad in Canada when it comes to dealer markups above MSRP. I do understand the dealers need to make more profit per car if there are less cars to sell. Don’t think forcing people to get optional features is good way of doing it thought.

The more I think about it, the more I may actually be reconsidering my position. When I was at the dealer 2 weeks ago there wasn't another single customer for the 45 minutes I was there and only 1 salesman in the store. It's really hard for them right now also - though the owners usually own several different dealerships and I'm sure have money in the bank. Oddly enough I'd rather have the sticker say "additional dealer markup" like in the 80's on high demand cars, rather than try to sell me $1,800 worth of stuff I know is near useless. (okay tint isn't useless but when you charge $699 for it I just feel like I'm grabbing my ankles)

The more I think about it, the more I may actually be reconsidering my position. eWhen I was at the dealer 2 weeks ago there wasn't another single customer for the 45 minutes I was there and only salesman in the store. It's really hard for them right now also - though the owners usually own several different dealerships and I'm sure have money in the bank. Oddly enough I'd rather have the sticker say "additional dealer markup" like in the 80's on high demand cars, rather than try to sell me $1,800 worth of stuff I know is near useless. (okay tint isn't useless but when you charge $699 for it I just feel like I'm grabbing my ankles)
Lets say they sell you the car for sticker or a little above and lay on $1,800 in junk vs. leaving off the junk and knocking $4,000 off sticker in normal times. That's a $6,000 swing. But if you have a late model trade you could be getting more than $6,000 in additional trade value vs. what it would yield had these new car shortages never happened.

For somebody who has a two or three year old clean trade without excessive mileage and is in the habit of buying new every two or three years this could be a great time to buy a new vehicle assuming you can find one you want. But if you're accustomed to keeping vehicles for10 years or more and you break that habit, then keep the new one for 10 years while assuming things return to normal in a years time, the advantage will erode over time.

Also, something I've harped on before: Somebody coming off a two or three year lease better be checking the lease contract for the buyout cost on that vehicle. Buying it and flipping it even to a dealer could be the best deal they'll ever see.

Back in normal times, I convinced my sister-in-law to buy out her 3 year old at end of lease with only 6,000 miles on it. The buyout was $18,500 + 8% tax ($20,000 all-in) on a vehicle where the original MSRP was $32,500. A similar vehicle coming off lease today might have a trade value of $8,000 or more above the buyout. Ask a dealer what he'd give you in trade if you bought it out. They may be able to do that without you having to finance it for the minutes or hours you actually hold title.

Picked up the new CX5 Sig today for $400 under MSRP+ FREE clear door edge guards, front window tint and oem roof rails and wheel locks ALREADY on the car. $699 admin fee standard+TTL. Choice of cash or finance. NO BS. Amazing dealer in NC. Sales manager was a pleasure to work with, all over email. In and out in 1 hour

Last edited:
I think that's great in todays market. You can drive away without that "I bent over for the dealership" feeling. I'm guessing the roof rails are listed on the original Monroney sticker , so included in the MSRP - not something he's throwing in. The Admin fee (doc fee) is what it is. Others will tell you it's BS but it is usually the same at all area dealers. Edge guards and tint do have a value, probably about $300 - $400 depending on the quality. - I have to say you did good.

My new Signature just got so San Diego last week. This is not the best "financial" or rational thing to do, but here's my deal.....

2021 Signature $39,600 MSRP
Loyalty rebate <$500>
Net Price $39,100

Total DOC & Fees $767
2020 Signature <37,875> TRADE-IN
========================
NET DIFFERENCE DUE $1,992

Side note: No formal contract yet, just left a deposit, but I'm not holding my breath because I can't see how the dealer can make money on this deal so we'll see next week if it holds up.

Lets say they sell you the car for sticker or a little above and lay on $1,800 in junk vs. leaving off the junk and knocking $4,000 off sticker in normal times. That's a $6,000 swing. But if you have a late model trade you could be getting more than $6,000 in additional trade value vs. what it would yield had these new car shortages never happened.

For somebody who has a two or three year old clean trade without excessive mileage and is in the habit of buying new every two or three years this could be a great time to buy a new vehicle assuming you can find one you want. But if you're accustomed to keeping vehicles for10 years or more and you break that habit, then keep the new one for 10 years while assuming things return to normal in a years time, the advantage will erode over time.

Also, something I've harped on before: Somebody coming off a two or three year lease better be checking the lease contract for the buyout cost on that vehicle. Buying it and flipping it even to a dealer could be the best deal they'll ever see.

Back in normal times, I convinced my sister-in-law to buy out her 3 year old at end of lease with only 6,000 miles on it. The buyout was $18,500 + 8% tax ($20,000 all-in) on a vehicle where the original MSRP was $32,500. A similar vehicle coming off lease today might have a trade value of $8,000 or more above the buyout. Ask a dealer what he'd give you in trade if you bought it out. They may be able to do that without you having to finance it for the minutes or hours you actually hold title.
Totally agree. Have a 2019 BMW X3 lease up in two months with a $28k buyout. KBB and others value at $41+. No brainer to buy out.

I think that's great in todays market. You can drive away without that "I bent over for the dealership" feeling. I'm guessing the roof rails are listed on the original Monroney sticker , so included in the MSRP - not something he's throwing in. The Admin fee (doc fee) is what it is. Others will tell you it's BS but it is usually the same at all area dealers. Edge guards and tint do have a value, probably about $300 - $400 depending on the quality. - I have to say you did good.

My new Signature just got so San Diego last week. This is not the best "financial" or rational thing to do, but here's my deal.....

Loyalty rebate <$500>
Net Price $39,100

Total DOC & Fees $767
========================

Side note: No formal contract yet, just left a deposit, but I'm not holding my breath because I can't see how the dealer can make money on this deal so we'll see next week if it holds up.
Thanks, I did as best as I can I think in this market and don't feel reamed but it's hard to swallow nearly MSRP when a year and a half ago you could have negotiated at least 10pct off plus has so many cash incentives out. I did get $32k for my very low mileage red 2020 cx5 GT with premium which had roof rails, mud flaps and all weather mats. KBB trade value in excellent condition was $32,300 at the lowest and MSRP back then was $34k and change so not too shabby today.

I did look at the monroney sticker msrp ($39,925) on the new red Sig and the roof rails are NOT on it, only door sills, bumper guard and all weather mats so score on that one along with the other free items. They must have installed the oem rails at the dealer with all the other things hoping to sell as a package add on l but I paid ZERO. Told them upfront in my email that I don't plan on and never will buy dealer add ons so they never attempted to do so, just let it go with the car. That was a victory for sure. Did get the loyalty $500 on top and tax savings for the trade so all in all best that can be done today. Had 74 miles on it.

So, $39,925 -$400 discount-$500 lotalty-$32k trade +$699 admin + TTL difference, plus free dealer add ons.

Loyalty rebate <$500>
Net Price $39,100

Total DOC & Fees $767
========================

Report back on whether the deal sticks when the time comes.

I wouldn't say necessarily it's a bad financial decision. A lot depends on how long you plan to keep it. If you trade it in three years it will be a year newer with fewer miles. You should get most if not all of it back in what will be a normalized market. If you trade in 10 years that difference will all but dissolve.

10 years or more is my target which makes me step back from looking into a deal. However, If a PCM TSB had not resolved my constantly annoying lugging issue I would have looked into getting a similar deal and not necessarily a Mazda. If the trade was giving you issues that would be a meaningful factor.

You didn't mention sales tax on the $1,992 unless you included it the doc and fees figure. It wouldn't be more than a hundred or two so not a biggie if that's added to the equation.

Anyway, in the mean time before the next trade, you get an extra year or two of warranty depending when you bought the trade. Time to next routine services gets reset for some nominal savings. You're one year forward in the generation which generally means fewer problems though that's no guarantee. You get the next gen infotainment with the 10" screen plus whatever other minor stuff was added in 2021. And there's that refreshed new car smell (priceless! ;)).

It does make one wonder about the dealer economics given the trade value. The best I can figure, as hard as it is to believe, they intend to mark it up to near or at original MSRP. Who's paying that for a used car about to turn two years old? It must be happening with economic reports saying used car prices are up 40% this year. Maybe it just comes down to the fact the average age of cars on the road in the US is now up to 12 years. Some folks just need a car because the old one is troubled or died. And there's your trade, sitting on the lot, ready to go, manufacturer certified, while a new one requires a wait. They also have other potential profit prongs in selling the trade--financing, extended warranties, life and disability insurance, dealer installed options, junk add-ons--even if you don't buy that stuff.

Still, the dealer economics cannot be good. As @dunhillmc pointed out, fewer deals means less profit.

Totally agree. Have a 2019 BMW X3 lease up in two months with a $28k buyout. KBB and others value at $41+. No brainer to buy out.
That's what I'm talking about.

Do you plan to flip it into a new one or keep it? If you flip it to a dealer it would be interesting to know the mechanics of the transaction--can it in fact be done in one fell swoop without having to actually finance the buyout first, such as assigning the right to buy out to the dealer who puts up the cash?

Thanks, I did as best as I can I think in this market and don't feel reamed but it's hard to swallow nearly MSRP when a year and a half ago you could have negotiated at least 10pct off plus has so many cash incentives out. I did get $32k for my very low mileage red 2020 cx5 GT with premium which had roof rails, mud flaps and all weather mats. KBB trade value in excellent condition was $32,300 at the lowest and MSRP back then was $34k and change so not too shabby today.

I did look at the monroney sticker msrp ($39,925) on the new red Sig and the roof rails are NOT on it, only door sills, bumper guard and all weather mats so score on that one along with the other free items. They must have installed the oem rails at the dealer with all the other things hoping to sell as a package add on l but I paid ZERO. Told them upfront in my email that I don't plan on and never will buy dealer add ons so they never attempted to do so, just let it go with the car. That was a victory for sure. Did get the loyalty $500 on top and tax savings for the trade so all in all best that can be done today. Had 74 miles on it.

So, $39,925 -$400 discount-$500 lotalty-$32k trade +$699 admin + TTL difference, plus free dealer add ons.
Why should nearly MSRP be hard to swallow? A year ago $4,000 off sticker would have been a good deal but in the mean time your trade has been valued at least $4,000 more than it would have been today had supply chain issues never happened. That's a wash. But since the trade value is to the good by a lot more than $4,000, you're a winner.

It's the totality of the deal that matters, not bragging rights over who gets the most off MSRP. That bragging business was in a different life. The current life is more economically favorable to you by several thousand dollars.

The guy who buys your trade will be the loser in a year's time as conditions normalize and the value of his vehicle plummets.

Back