What did you pay for your CX-5?

Oh yes! good point to make. Be certain to look over the "New" vehicle very carefully. A lot of things can happen between Hiroshima and your dealer.
Yes, I dreaded a lot those infamous swirl marks. These are done by, I say careless prep people at dealerships. Is enough to drop the towel, pick it up and continue washing the car or drying it off, et voila, paint ruined. When I pointed it out, at one dealership, they said that I can buff it out. Well, you guys do it, but not when I'm dropping almost 40 grand on a new car.

Getting ready to purchase our first Mazda!

My husband and I are looking for a new SUV and I thought I had my heart set on a Jeep Grand Cherokee... that was until I drove a brand new Mazda cx9 GT. Unfortunately, those are a bit out of our price range so Ive been pricing out dealers for a 2017 or 2018 gray cx5 GT. One of the salesman said he had a friend selling exactly what were looking for and said we should reach out to him (private sale). So we did and we are seriously considering buying this but I want to see what you all think! We think its a good deal but we will have to get loan through our credit union so we wont have the 0% financing. Anyway here it is...

-Its 2017 cx5 GT machine metal gray color, AWD, 3400k miles, also has trailer hitch, all weather floor mats and trunk mat, splash guards, and protective bumper plate. (None of which I care much about except trailer hitch). He wants 26,500 for it. I feel like this is a good deal but i want to be sure. I like idea of going through private party so we dont have all the added fees.

Thoughts? Should we jump all over this? ask for lower price?

It's a good deal if you don't care about warranty. Does it have the premium package?

2018 Brand new Dark Blue Grand Touring AWD for $29,847 (including destination charge) plus tax & registration. Got it via Costco at a Costco participating dealer. Way under invoice and beat the Edmonds suggested price by hundreds.

It doesnt have heads up display or heated steering wheel or heated rear sets. Is that all part of a premium pkg? Those are the only things I noticed that it didnt have.

My husband and I were a little trepidatious about the warranty too. Although...we bought one for $2500 for our Honda CRV and ended up using it once so we didnt get our moneys worth. Definitely something we need to consider.

Yeah those are in the premium package. It's always so hard when you're considering warranty, if you have it you might never use it, but if you don't have it you'll need it. I had the first 2016 cx-5 gt with the bad LED headlights, my driver's side went out after I was over my 36k warranty, would've been 1200 to replace one headlight, got Mazda to cover that one and then traded it before passenger went out. Also the 36k warranty they'll update the infotainment system for free, I don't remember what the cost is outside of warranty, not crazy outrageous but nice to have it done for free anyway. Also if you read some of these posts in the forum talking about brake issues or front camera issues, it's not every vehicle by far, but if you have issues the warranty will cover it. That's what I consider most comforting with the warranty, as the electronics become more sophisticated so do the problems and costs of fixing it. Can't really recommend one way versus the other as it's user preference, but if you're okay with not having it it's a good price for sure. But if you can find the specifics you want at a dealer in the 2017 year you could probably manage a good deal as they want to get them off the lot before the 19s are released. Also consider even if it's a few thousand more you'll save that if you're able to get the 0% financing.

My husband and I are looking for a new SUV and I thought I had my heart set on a Jeep Grand Cherokee... that was until I drove a brand new Mazda cx9 GT. Unfortunately, those are a bit out of our price range so I*ve been pricing out dealers for a 2017 or 2018 gray cx5 GT. One of the salesman said he had a friend selling exactly what we*re looking for and said we should reach out to him (private sale). So we did and we are seriously considering buying this but I want to see what you all think! We think it*s a good deal but we will have to get loan through our credit union so we won*t have the 0% financing. Anyway here it is...

-It*s 2017 cx5 GT machine metal gray color, AWD, 3400k miles, also has trailer hitch, all weather floor mats and trunk mat, splash guards, and protective bumper plate. (None of which I care much about except trailer hitch). He wants 26,500 for it. I feel like this is a good deal but i want to be sure. I like idea of going through private party so we don*t have all the added fees.

Thoughts? Should we jump all over this? ask for lower price?

Definitely offer him a lower price if this is the one you decide on. I imagine he*s hoping to get $25k for it,which is more than he*ll get on trade. I*d offer him $23k to start,$23,500 tops as that*s what he*ll be lucky to get for trade. I*m sure he*ll laugh since he*s got a dealer friend on his side,but let him say no,stay patient and he will bite on that price or in between up to $25k. Good luck! How in a hurry are you? At $26,500,you should be able to get one new for that if the timing is right,or a dealer wants/needs to sell...

That is 3400 Miles and not 34k right?

Last edited:
Yeah those are in the premium package. It's always so hard when you're considering warranty, if you have it you might never use it, but if you don't have it you'll need it. I had the first 2016 cx-5 gt with the bad LED headlights, my driver's side went out after I was over my 36k warranty, would've been 1200 to replace one headlight, got Mazda to cover that one and then traded it before passenger went out. Also the 36k warranty they'll update the infotainment system for free, I don't remember what the cost is outside of warranty, not crazy outrageous but nice to have it done for free anyway. Also if you read some of these posts in the forum talking about brake issues or front camera issues, it's not every vehicle by far, but if you have issues the warranty will cover it. That's what I consider most comforting with the warranty, as the electronics become more sophisticated so do the problems and costs of fixing it. Can't really recommend one way versus the other as it's user preference, but if you're okay with not having it it's a good price for sure. But if you can find the specifics you want at a dealer in the 2017 year you could probably manage a good deal as they want to get them off the lot before the 19s are released. Also consider even if it's a few thousand more you'll save that if you're able to get the 0% financing.

Great points to consider! Thanks so much for your answer! My husband knows his way around a car but not all the software stuff. Well definitely look into the issues with brakes etc. Good to know!

As far as we can tell, the factory warranty will transfer and will be good until 36k miles. We might purchase our own extended warranty after that runs out.

Not getting 0% financing bothers me too. My credit score is higher than 800 so I really like reaping the befits of that with the best interest rates.

Great points to consider! Thanks so much for your answer! My husband knows his way around a car but not all the software stuff. Well definitely look into the issues with brakes etc. Good to know!

As far as we can tell, the factory warranty will transfer and will be good until 36k miles. We might purchase our own extended warranty after that runs out.

Not getting 0% financing bothers me too. My credit score is higher than 800 so I really like reaping the befits of that with the best interest rates.
You didn't get 0% with a credit score over 800? Wow, wonder what their threshold is?

No problem! I'm no expert on the warranty stuff, so if it transfers even though it's a private sale that's awesome! I didn't know that was possible since every time I take it in for work under warranty they always ask if I'm the original owner. With my 16 I was able to hack in and update the infotainment system myself(thanks to all the wonderful people on this forum, also was able to get lower profile headrests for the back seat which are awesome for better visibility through the back window but have to be imported) but Mazda caught onto the infotainment hack and made it so we can't update it on our own. Oh well. Anyway I'm sure you'll love it, I also have a 17 GT in machine gray, so I understand the attraction! [emoji6] Good luck with everything!

Yep, its 3400 miles not 34k. The guy was pointing out that we would be saving money by not having all the added dealer fees, etc which I understand. We are Costco members too and have been pricing out and talking to salesmen all week and the best price we got was for a 18 gray cx5 touring for 27,350 but the dealer said we couldnt use the 0% financing for that price. Plus, our OTD price would be much higher... around 30k maybe? Ive looked through this thread and we havent been given any of the sweet deals Ive seen on here. Maybe we need to haggle more?

I might offer that guy 25k and see what he says. He said its priced a grand below fair market value.

You all have been so helpful! Im sorry Im posting all wrong. I keep thinking Im replying to a certain person but I think I might be doing it incorrectly 😜

No problem, understandable, when I first posted on the forums I would quote everyone which makes for long threads, ha ha. Have you checked out any certified pre owned for the 17s? If they have any that match the criteria you're looking for it comes with a longer warranty. Deals are different depending on states, I live in utah, the Mazdas sell themselves here so we find less dealer incentives and specials, and really can only find AWD. I bought my first one in Virginia and got great deals but they weren't as popular there so had much more negotiable dealer. That's been my experience.

Speaking of Virginia,I went there to get mine as well. If you*re willing to travel a little,you can secure a great deal and get a brand new one for the price of used (I still see used ones selling for about the same price I paid for mine brand new).

With that credit score (I have the same at 820), I*d buy new. If you don*t want/get the 0% for the price,you can get a <2% loan at a credit union (1.74% here). They are offering $500 customer cash to everyone right now on the 18s,and would assume they*d carry it to 17s as well. That $500 should be $2k customer cash in another month or two with 19s on the horizon,hence is time of the essence,but I shop around and make it happen now. It*s achievable,just stick to your guns and be patient but persistent in what you want...

Good luck and feel free to continue to ask questions...

If you*re interested in traveling a little,maybe reach out to Brown*s outside of DC,or it never hurts to get quotes from everywhere,but I have to admit,I only care about price,so I make a mini vacay out of my purchases and go wherever within reason.

Have to agree with above, with a new loaded grand touring selling for 29K and the 0% financing it seems the new and used are very close in price, so why not get new and take advantage of the 0%?

Traveling to Virginia or DC to buy a car would be really difficult with our schedules and my 2 young daughters starting school soon. I wish I could! Im in Dayton Ohio so I could travel to Cincinnati or Columbus or Indianapolis or Cleveland or Lexington... anywhere a few hours away is doable if anyone has any dealers they recommend in those areas..?

I think I will keep pricing out new ones and get the 0% financing. That right there would save me thousands. Were in no big rush to buy so Ill wait to see if they have any Labor Day deals or wait for mazda to offer more incentives as the 19s get closer to coming out. Ill check in here and run it by you guys first though!
This week I have lived and breathed cx5s! Buying a new car is a little fun and a lot stressful lol

It's a good deal if you don't care about warranty. Does it have the premium package?

No... it's not.
I'm with CX5Nut and NelsonLewis on this: PASS. First of all $26,5 is NOT a good price. PLEASE go to KBB.COM and check the private party value. It WILL vary by state. See attached price for NEOhio.

Private Party price is always a bit lower then what you should pay from a dealer... not close to the price. You could probably get a CPO 2017 for just a few 1,000 more from a dealer.
Not to EVEN mention... a salesguy from the dealer... tells you his friend is selling a Mazda go buy from him?!? That would be a huge red flag to me and I would nope right out of that dealership. Who does that? So his 'friend' is certainly going to kick him a few dollars. Hell, I might even report this dude to the dealership. OK, I probably wouldn't, just saying... it's VERY sketchy.

Either buy from a private party... but not this guy. Buy CPO used from a dealer or buy plain old used from a dealer.
BUt IMO buying from this dude's 'friend' is a bad move.

Can't be just me here:

that-sounds-more-sketchy-than-a-free-candy-van-com-16204739.png

Attachments

• CX5.jpg
    CX5.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Ginabritt, If you are a member of Costco, price out a new car from them. Costco will put you in touch with one of their approved dealers. No haggling. You go to the dealer and they give you a pre-determined price off of invoice on the car you like. We just got our 2018 that way 2 wks ago and it was easy! Price below any price we could find on any car buying web site like Edmonds.

Ginabritt, If you are a member of Costco, price out a new car from them. Costco will put you in touch with one of their approved dealers. No haggling. You go to the dealer and they give you a pre-determined price off of invoice on the car you like. We just got our 2018 that way 2 wks ago and it was easy! Price below any price we could find on any car buying web site like Edmonds.

+1 - Costco was the best price in Chicago area also.

Back