What did you pay for your CX-5?

17 or 18? 0% financing? Rebates? 17 has more in PP then 18 does.

This is with the rebate. Im at a position to only finance the minimum for a new car loan at my credit union of $7,500 due to accident.

The interest rate 2.74% at a loan of $7,500 is like $545 for 60 months. So it makes more sense to take the $$ and pay it off sooner then 60 months anyways

OK, please rate my deal from a purchase made a few weeks ago (end of February), in a larger metropolitan area (Chicago). Don't spare me. Skimming some of the previous entries, I know it's probably an average deal at best. But some additional contextual commentary would be instructive for me. If only to give provide additional ammunition to beat myself up with. (loser) And perhaps make others who may not have gotten the greatest of deals feel slightly better about their own situation:

2018 CX-5 AWD Touring w/ PEP and wheel locks. $29,745 Total MSRP.

Including the $1000 rebate in the following price, but excluding sales tax and excluding $196 lic/title, my price was $28,201.

Note: This deal included a very modest trade-in amount of $200 (KBB estimate range was $355 to $700-ish). In other words, without the trade, the price would have been $28,401.

OK, hurl tomatoes if I deserve it. ;) Seems that way based upon the majority of examples I've been seeing here.

Last edited:
^^^ $ 25,900 to $26,700. Do the math. Great choice for trim though. Best bang for buck

Ouch. Even worse than I thought. My preference would have been to walk, but I was kind of in a bind though (maybe somewhat self-imposed).

My old car was puttering loudly along on its last exhaust system legs needing a major repair and I didn't want to put one more dollar into it. License plate sticker was expiring that day and didn't want to pay for $105 plates twice in successive months had I waited another month or two to make a purchase. Not to mention the gentle pressure and slight exasperation of friends/family asking if I was ever going to make a decision on a car after a long few months of total indecisiveness; majorly struggling with choosing from my short list of the CX-5, Ford Edge, Escape, Volvo XC5, Kia Sportage, not to mention a few others along with those. Or if even any of those would suffice. Each seemed like too much of a compromise choice.

There's a reason I held on to my last car, purchased as a 5 year old used vehicle, for 11 more years. I hate making decisions as big and as expensive as a car purchase! They all costs too much and even the better ones at the top end of my budget were all more flawed than I would have liked!

You paid a normal price. Don't beat yourself up. Not a bad deal. Just not awesome. If you overpaid by $1,200 let's say? What is that over a 5 year loan? Pfft. You're good man. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
^^ Thanks.

I also think part of the issue was that I had too many car options I was still undecided about and willing to consider so that I was never able to get a very clear handle on what the exact dollar figures were and the realistic deal price range for each of those car configurations. As I walked into the dealership, I was still willing to consider either the fully-loaded GT, or the GT, or the Touring with Preferred package. And any of those with either FWD or AWD still on the table for consideration, as I saw pros and cons to both.

I revise my opinion. CX-5 sales in 18 are stunning. If the trend continues it will be 50% more than 2016 numbers. So you can add another grand to my numbers. Plus if your color is in demand that makes it harder. 26000+ sales in 2 months is strong with sales going south in general.
I may not be wrong saying that considering cars sold more than 100,000 CX-5 growth is among the top 3 or 5 across all segments.

Everyone has a slightly different definition of what constitutes a "good deal". About six weeks ago I purchased my 2018 CX-5 AWD GT w/PP at a price below invoice but higher than some I've seen. However, I needed a vehicle within about a 2-week window and there was 1 available in my chosen color scheme among the 4 dealers in my area. Also, at this point in my life I put a very high premium on my time and sanity. So not having to spend weeks contacting dealers and negotiating for every last dollar was well worth whatever additional I ended up paying. The whole process took less than a week, we quickly arrived at a price that was acceptable and that was that. Now I'm just enjoying my new car.

For anyone shopping, pricing information is helpful but highly dependent on a number of variables. Get a deal that works for you in your situation and don't beat yourself up too badly if you pay a little more than someone else.

I revise my opinion. CX-5 sales in 18 are stunning. If the trend continues it will be 50% more than 2016 numbers. So you can add another grand to my numbers. Plus if your color is in demand that makes it harder. 26000+ sales in 2 months is strong with sales going south in general.
I may not be wrong saying that considering cars sold more than 100,000 CX-5 growth is among the top 3 or 5 across all segments.

What would be the in-demand colors? White, Gunmetal Gray and Soul Red? Maybe Silver?

What would be the in-demand colors? White, Gunmetal Gray and Soul Red? Maybe Silver?

Its again region and supply dependent. Also trim. Search for exact trim on Auto trader in your region you can now see color availability. Also depends how long it has been sitting on the lot. You should always buy the car you want. For e.g. Don't buy black since it was cheap. One aspect of good negotiator is less compromise on his side.
With MZD white red and grey are premium which means a different paint process. They cost more.

In the market for a 2018 GT FWD w PP.

Last time I bought a new car, I was able to drill down on rebates (either customer or dealer) as well as anticipated holdback.

I realize the japanese fiscal year is ending 4/1 and right now is, more or less, the end of mazda's financial year.

Can anyone tell me exactly what rebates, dealer cash, holdback , etc we think are being offered to move CX-5's right now? I don't qualify for loyalty - I know about those.

In the market for a 2018 GT FWD w PP.

Last time I bought a new car, I was able to drill down on rebates (either customer or dealer) as well as anticipated holdback.

I realize the japanese fiscal year is ending 4/1 and right now is, more or less, the end of mazda's financial year.

Can anyone tell me exactly what rebates, dealer cash, holdback , etc we think are being offered to move CX-5's right now? I don't qualify for loyalty - I know about those.

check the Mazda USA site for incentives in your market. dealer cash will vary by dealer. holdback is 1% of MSRP

2018 Touring with Preferred Package: MSRP: $28,390 -> purchased for $26,815 with 0% APR (doesn't include Doc, Tax, License Fees). So basically this was $1,575 discount off of MSRP. Good deal?

Everyone has a slightly different definition of what constitutes a "good deal". About six weeks ago I purchased my 2018 CX-5 AWD GT w/PP at a price below invoice but higher than some I've seen. However, I needed a vehicle within about a 2-week window and there was 1 available in my chosen color scheme among the 4 dealers in my area. Also, at this point in my life I put a very high premium on my time and sanity. So not having to spend weeks contacting dealers and negotiating for every last dollar was well worth whatever additional I ended up paying. The whole process took less than a week, we quickly arrived at a price that was acceptable and that was that. Now I'm just enjoying my new car.

For anyone shopping, pricing information is helpful but highly dependent on a number of variables. Get a deal that works for you in your situation and don't beat yourself up too badly if you pay a little more than someone else.
Couldn't agree more. I can't believe the effort some people put into trying to get that best possible deal. I ain't got time for that. I don't enjoy it like some do. [emoji106]

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I can't believe the effort some people put into trying to get that best possible deal. I ain't got time for that. [emoji106]

That and the ones that post on here wanting a pat on the back for a job well done. Get outta here and go enjoy your ride man

Back