What did you pay for your CX-5?

Thank you.

Yes, a huge step up in refinement and quality...on a very similar level as my prized 2010 Kizashi GTS iAWD. I am feeling fairly convinced that Mazda may very well be my new go-to brand now that Suzuki has pulled out of the Americas (2013). Test drove a used 2013 6 a couple years ago for my daughter and was really impressed. That test drive is what led me to Mazda today, and the CX-5, to ditch the JKU for. The Heep served its purpose and is no longer required to flat-tow my built Samurai around that I'd sold last fall after 18 years of rock crawling and varying degrees of off-road abuse.

I'm a long time Suzuki owner (since '86). Japanese built Suzukis are/were the best value around. Wife drives a 2011 SX4 iAWD after turning over the 2008 SX4 to one of the kids. Also owned quite a few Toyotas throughout my life as well. Japanese built vehicles have always been extremely reliable and have treated my family very well for decades. The domestics we've owned...not so much.

@ronzuki, incredible price. I got the same car in white for 27,300. That price includes 500 factory rebate, 500 loyalty rebate and doc fee. Looks like you got it for about 1,000 cheaper assuming you went with a premium payment color as well. I did similar negotiating prices as you, no other dealer within 100 miles would match. Well done!

Timing is everything and I had a low-mileage trade vehicle they really wanted. After seeing it in person, they went $1000 higher on it than what had been initially the best offer before visiting any of them. The GM told me he wanted it on their lot for the upcoming long holiday weekend...car shopping time. At that moment, they went from a solid second to way out front. The other dealer bowed out after I contacted them and asked what else they could do. It also didn't hurt the dealer I purchased from had 3 exact CX-5s on their lot that matched my requirements, same as the one I bought. Seeing in their inventory online how the one I purchased had a fairly low VIN (Feb. 2018 build date) compared to all of the other vehicles in their inventory and others on my list, I figured they'd be the ones to really strike a deal, and in the end they were. They also had the largest inventory of CX-5s out of the responding dealers as well. All of these factors play in to the buyer's favor.

As of today, my trade is already priced down $995 from when it first appeared on their site for sale.

changes13: my first choice color, Eternal Blue Mica, is not a premium paint. I was also negotiating on a few of the metallic gray ones at other dealers that didn't have the first choice color w/ the pkg. I desired. If I recall, the metallic gray and your white carried the same premium charge.

The tease obviously helps as it's another way for them to make money

What dealer are you negotiating the extended warranty with? I wasnt able to get below 1500.

Not sure if I got a good deal or not, but here goes:

2017 Eternal Blue CX-5 GT AWD with premium package, wheel locks, and all weather mats.
Purchase Price before TTL $31,000
0% financing
Traded in my clean 2013 Equinox LT with AWD with 56,000 miles for $11,500 for which I still owed $10,000

I did purchase the extended bumper to bumper warranty, 90,000 miles 84 months, and 4 oil changes, for $1,550.

Last edited:
The tease obviously helps as it's another way for them to make money

What dealer are you negotiating the extended warranty with? I wasnt able to get below 1500.

1/2 dozen dealers in areas I frequent during my travels. $1500 area seems to be the popular number most all claim they "can't do any better" than. Bought the one for $1276+tax from the local dealer I pass daily and THEN the BM at the dealer I purchased the car from wanted to play after stating I'd already purchased one after being contacted about it this past Thursday. They then offered $1065+tax after the fact "to keep all of my business there", which is where I originally wanted to be as I felt it was worth it at around $1000. They should have done that when I asked up front at closing of the CX-5 "best and final?" (at their $1465+tax price). The next week I went out on a quote-fest. Not feeling like the aggravation of going in and cancelling the one I have, and, the dealer in Lancaster I purchased the VSC from is likely where I'll get any servicing done should I require it. So, I'll have a tad bit of a relationship started there at this point. May change my mind. The way the auto biz is, if I were to go in and cancel, they very well could counter again...who knows.

First time I've ever even thought about an extended VSC, let alone actually purchasing one. I felt w/ the mind-numbing amount of tech in these things today, it's a must have anymore. Now I know a little how the VSC game is played and will act/negotiate accordingly next time. Haven't been able to pinpoint where dealer's cost is though. I suspect it's well below $1000, my gut says $800-900 range. 40-50% mark-up for doing nothing in the auto biz is not unheard of. Not bad for 10 minutes worth of keyboard work on the Business Manager's part aye? I was literally in and out in 15 minutes.

I'm sure there's people in the know reading this that won't comment. My younger brother used to sell years ago and to this day (even after the GM dealer he worked for screwed him) it's all a big mystery when I question him regarding these types of things. I think there's possibly some kind of brain-washing tactics at work in that world.

Hi all!! after internet quoting 4 dealers and two dealer visits, finally just purchased my 2018 GT CX-5 2 days ago.. heres how I did

Terms:0 down and 0.0%

2018 GT CX5
Grey metallic paint (+300)
Roof rack (+400)
dealer added door sill protection (like a clear film on side of each door invoice shows (+395)

Sticker price: $31,340
Got it down to $28,625 including Mazda loyalty (500)

OTD price after TTL and fees (CA 10%)= $31,800.... if I had just WALKED AWAY.

2nd part FINANCING DEPT WARRRANTY.

I think we got ripped off here and want to hear everyone honest thoughts:

We sat in the guys office, it was really late and I was just ready to go.

They start offering the maintenance packages: from platinum to bronze and started really really high!! Id recommend doing research so u arent caught off guard here like I was.

We narrowed it down to the following package..

Mazda alarm -system 500
Finishing touch (ext/int protection)-500
7year/100k extended warranty- 2300
Total was ~ 3200

That was the BIG one and I think I messed up on it!! Honest feedback welcome.

1) can was this a good deal?
2) dealer is 30 miles away
3) can I/should I return this

So the total with everything above out the door price= $35,100.

Thanks all and so happy to be the proud owner of one!!

Last edited:
When I signed the papers on my car after a week or two of negotiations, the salesman knew I would not fall victim to any of their upselling. Anything else I wanted (accessories) was negotiated in to the final price. I'm sure he had to ask, so he just stated, "I guess you don't want to discuss any packages or warranties, do you?" Answer: No thanks. But the important thing here is if YOU are happy with what you paid for everything. Not sure what the 'return' policies are on any of those extras, but late night negotiations always favor the seller and not so much the sellee.

Hi everyone! Been shopping around for a 2018 CX-5 Touring with PP. Eternal Blue so no upcharge on color choice. Got a quote from a "no-haggle" dealer here in CT of $27,777. With tax, title, and dealer fees I'm looking at $30,269. Thoughts on this deal?

I've emailed it around to a few other dealers to see if they'll beat it but haven't hear back as it's the weekend. A little torn about maybe stepping up to a 2017 GT instead. Probably could get one for around that same price and there are still quite a few in the greater Boston area.

Thanks!

Hi everyone! Been shopping around for a 2018 CX-5 Touring with PP. Eternal Blue so no upcharge on color choice. Got a quote from a "no-haggle" dealer here in CT of $27,777. With tax, title, and dealer fees I'm looking at $30,269. Thoughts on this deal?

I've emailed it around to a few other dealers to see if they'll beat it but haven't hear back as it's the weekend. A little torn about maybe stepping up to a 2017 GT instead. Probably could get one for around that same price and there are still quite a few in the greater Boston area.

Thanks!
AWD or FWD?

If AWD, that's about a 6.5% discount.

If FWD, that's a pitiful 2.3% discount.

Either way, I think you can get a better deal.

Hi all!! after internet quoting 4 dealers and two dealer visits, finally just purchased my 2018 GT CX-5 2 days ago.. heres how I did

2018 GT CX5
Roof rack (+400)
dealer added door sill protection (like a clear film on side of each door invoice shows (+395)

They start offering the maintenance packages: from platinum to bronze and started really really high!! Id recommend doing research so u arent caught off guard here like I was.

Mazda alarm -system 500
Total was ~ 3200

You got a good OTD price and they got you with the additional warranties. It is best to say NO to anything offered after the car is sold. You can always get 3rd party Gap insurance or warranties from your insurance or directly from the manufacturers.

They tried to sell that platinum crap real hard on me but the fact that they give you little time to make a decisiom shows that they are just pushing for more profit. Next time ask Can I go home and do research. Anything other than yes means that they are pressuring you to make a bad decision.

Be happy with your OTD price. Dont worry about the extra warranties you bought. Maybe it will come in handy.

Hi all!! after internet quoting 4 dealers and two dealer visits, finally just purchased my 2018 GT CX-5 2 days ago.. here’s how I did

2018 GT CX5
Roof rack (+400)

They start offering the maintenance packages: from platinum to bronze and started really really high!! I’d recommend doing research so u aren’t caught off guard here like I was.

Mazda alarm -system 500
Total was ~ 3200

Your OTD price looks ok, but it's the finance guys job to sell you a bunch of crap you dont need and yes you fell for it. After negotiations, just say no.

Extended warranties there are some who like them and others like me who dont bother. If you did decide to get one they are negotiable on price too.

But $3200 additional? Ridiculous.

Thanks!

I got the CX-5 Touring AWD black 2018 for $26,995 OTD price after negotiating hard in emails. No PP or any packages. I think you should get close to that

Assuming this is an AWD, you should be able to do better. If its FWD, you definitely can do better. I picked up the white touring AWD with PP for ~27,400 before tax, title, license. That does include dealer fees and the $300 up charge for white color. I also had the locking wheel lugs and the bumper protector on the car I picked up. You can get it from Patrick Mazda in worcester where I got that price from. You can also try Sentry Mazda or Liberty Mazda, those guys got close that number but would not match.

Assuming this is an AWD, you should be able to do better. If its FWD, you definitely can do better. I picked up the white touring AWD with PP for ~27,400 before tax, title, license. That does include dealer fees and the $300 up charge for white color. I also had the locking wheel lugs and the bumper protector on the car I picked up. You can get it from Patrick Mazda in worcester where I got that price from. You can also try Sentry Mazda or Liberty Mazda, those guys got close that number but would not match.

Liberty Mazda in Hartford is the one that quoted me $27,777. I'll have to look into Patrick Mazda. Thanks!

Back