2013~2016: What CX-5 Struts to get?

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 137k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So I am looking to replace my front struts, but I am a little confused. This would be totally new territory for me in my DIY journey, so trying to figure out if its actually something I want to do.

Seeing some videos that make it look like an easy job, but they are using quick struts, and consensus seems to be that those suck.

So then I started looking at just ordering up Mazda OEM struts, but seems you have to buy all the parts separately and compress the new spring onto it and I'll be honest, that makes me super nervous.

Anyway, just wondering what the best way to go would be here.

In my recent searching it seems for your generation people liked the Koni Special Actives. But you'd still need to assemble them.

In my recent searching it seems for your generation people liked the Koni Special Actives. But you'd still need to assemble them.
Worth it over the Mazda OEM struts if both have to be assembled?

So I am looking to replace my front struts, but I am a little confused. This would be totally new territory for me in my DIY journey, so trying to figure out if its actually something I want to do.

Seeing some videos that make it look like an easy job, but they are using quick struts, and consensus seems to be that those suck.

So then I started looking at just ordering up Mazda OEM struts, but seems you have to buy all the parts separately and compress the new spring onto it and I'll be honest, that makes me super nervous.

Anyway, just wondering what the best way to go would be here.
I usually prefer to get (OEM) struts only and disassemble the spring unit because I have a good spring compressor been used many times for the job. You can rent one from AutoZone for free too (make sure to choose more expensive one). It isn’t dangerous to me to compress the suspension spring with your common sense and I’ve done that several times.

Some members have used those pre-assembled “Quick Strut”, but I simply hate to throw those perfectly re-usable parts like springs away. Just like I always turn my brake rotors if the thickness will be within the spec.

Last edited:
I usually prefer to get (ORM) struts only and disassemble the spring unit because I have a good spring compressor been used many times for the job. You can rent one from AutoZone for free too (make sure to choose more expensive one). It isn’t dangerous to me to compress the suspension spring with your common sense and I’ve done that several times.

Some members have used those pre-assembled “Quick Strut”, but I simply hate to throw those perfectly re-usable parts like springs away. Just like I always turn my brake rotors if the thickness will be within the spec.
Looks like I will have an experienced buddy's help on this one, so I think OEM makes sense. I noticed there seems to be a Type 1 and Type 2 strut on some of these parts sites. Does anyone know the difference?

1720504823520.png

Looks like I will have an experienced buddy's help on this one, so I think OEM makes sense. I noticed there seems to be a Type 1 and Type 2 strut on some of these parts sites. Does anyone know the difference?

View attachment 329766
Yes Mazda OEM struts and shocks have too many different versions and part numbers for each model year at front and rear which can get very confused. I suggest you visit or call a Mazda dealer giving them the VIN to get correct part numbers.

Also I noticed the MSRP for OEM struts and shocks on my 2016 CX-5 AWD have been gone up twofold! You may consider getting OEM front struts and rear shocks along with your LCAs from Japan once you get correct part numbers from your Mazda dealer.

Last edited:
Yes Mazda OEM struts and shocks have too many different versions and part numbers for each model year at front and rear which can get very confused. I suggest you visit or call a Mazda dealer giving them the VIN to get correct part numbers.

Also I noticed the MSRP for OEM struts and shocks on my 2016 CX-5 AWD have been gone up twofold! You may consider getting OEM front struts and rear shocks along with your LCAs from Japan once you get correct part numbers from your Mazda dealer.
Called a few parts departments around the area and provided my VIN. They said the Type 1 model numbers for my 2014 AWD 2.5L Touring.

Back