What comes after the P5 in my garage?

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
Just pondering. 2014 might be it for my P5. Not a goner, just pretty long in the tooth. Replacements? Hmmm. I tend to buy like 3-5 year old used. I like the 5-door hatch layout. So, looking:

Yaris
Mazda2/Fiesta
Mazda3
Matrix/Vibe
Jetta
Fit
?

What are folks ideas here for cars and reasons pro and con?

Personally I would suggest the 3, if you must have a hatchback. The yaris and 2 are econoboxes and not as comfortable for a daily driver or anyone over 30. I like VWs for the most part but the Mazdas will likely be the cheapest to own and possibly best bang for your buck.

I love my 2010 Mazda 3 I think the first gens had more room for rear passengers though. And it's actually kinda hard on gas I average around 24-25 mpg long trips on interstate around 28mpg

My mom has an awd vibe and it's ******* awesome. Like a snow mobile in the snow roomy 32 mpg but slow as hell. 120 hp plus loss through awd drive train and 3200 lbs but still can haul 4 people and a motor and trans from a civic. Only thing we've replaced is oil brakes and wheel bearings

subaru impreza if you dont want to be in the mazda family.
mazda3 if you do.

all other listed are step down from your 5

Yeah I'd say the impreza wagon or wrx wagon would be a good choice for you. Still has room but has the power to go with it. The one thing I like about the fit is the mpgs but other then that it doesn't have enough room. Only reason I would say maybe the matrix is if its the xrs.

The mazda 3s are great, and way more popular than a lot of the other mazda line of vehicles. the mazda 2 is alright, but for long term driving sucks balls and your back starts to hurt. and they get around the same gas mileage as the 3 (with the skyactiv).

first gen are my absolute favorite and they seem to hold resale value very well. another car to check out is the new focus hatchback. those seem to be pretty popular and comfortable to drive.

Stay away from the Yaris, horrible horrible cars, especially after the p5, you'll just hate it.
Cheaply made, plastic squeeks, handles terrible and its cramped.
I rented one and was horrified.

Anything else in that list is a decent car as far as I know.

Just sold my car and picked up a 2009 subaru impreza 2.5i 5dr sport and love it! great upgrade from my p5 and dont regret a single thing! depending on how you're going to be driving, an impreza isn't the best for city driving, i'm averaging around 11L/100KM, but i like to punch it a bit here and there ;) highway driving, it has great fuel economy. Great smooth ride, has the power when you need it and an amazing looking car. I've got it in World Rally Blue. Interior is very comfortable for me, they are kind of a suede looking fabric on the seats, but they are much more comfortable then the leathers on my P5

I have driven the Vibe/Matrix before my P5, they are a step down IMO. I am a wagon man myself, and love the look of the Lexus ct200h, and the Audi A3.

I have driven the Vibe/Matrix before my P5, they are a step down IMO. I am a wagon man myself, and love the look of the Lexus ct200h, and the Audi A3.

Interior quality is a bit more poor. But drivetrain is way better and more reliable, plus it's toyota it will last for ever

How I see your list...

Yaris - too small and downgrade
Mazda2/Fiesta - same as above
Mazda3 - same car as P5, great if you love P5 and don't want a huge change
Matrix/Vibe - not familiar but can't go wrong with Toyota
Jetta - I'd say away from German cars, but that's just me
Fit - great car that holds it's value, but it's expensive for what it's worth

I'd look into the WRX or Legacy wagon as many suggested. Depends on budget and your needs ;). For me I'd dump the P5 and S2000 for the WRX or STI wagon. Sports car + room in one!

Stay away from the Yaris, horrible horrible cars, especially after the p5, you'll just hate it.
Cheaply made, plastic squeeks, handles terrible and its cramped.
I rented one and was horrified.

Anything else in that list is a decent car as far as I know.

I can second this... I spent three months in rented ones while my lancer was being repaired... everything you could see and feel was cheap... handling was awful, transmission was... broken.. brakes warped. under 20,000km on it, so seemed pretty bad value to me.

Go for a Subaru... They seem to last.

Last edited:
Go get a 1980 Chevy malibu wagon and put an lsX series engine in it with a six speed tranny and a posi and call it a day! hahaha just kidding! Get a Subaru wagon with a turbo!!! oooorrrr, keep the P5 and Dump money into it and make it AWESOME. But, in reality nobody has all the time to do that..... except Tamn. So, Mazdaspeed anything or a subie wagon.

How I see your list...

Yaris - too small and downgrade
Mazda2/Fiesta - same as above
Mazda3 - same car as P5, great if you love P5 and don't want a huge change
Matrix/Vibe - not familiar but can't go wrong with Toyota
Jetta - I'd say away from German cars, but that's just me
Fit - great car that holds it's value, but it's expensive for what it's worth

I'd look into the WRX or Legacy wagon as many suggested. Depends on budget and your needs ;). For me I'd dump the P5 and S2000 for the WRX or STI wagon. Sports car + room in one!

This is what I tell anybody. I've had my WRX wagon for a long time and absolutely love it. If you need something more mature/upscale, go for a legacy GT. Turbocharged motor and manual transmission in a more adult package.

Welll.... I did a lot of research to replace my beloved P5. Focus areas were (in order of weighting):
1. Hatch (goota' hold me stuff!)
2. Integral roof rack design (People love when i showed them this trick on the P5. I only need a roof rack once in a while to haul me 'yaks!)
3. Great performance (handling/accel) - like or better a P5 ;)
4. Manual tranny
5. Less than $30K (total)
6. Great Looking (i still would turn my head as i walked away from my P5 ten years after buying her. What is Love worth? Much - it would appear)

The two cars that really satisfied on all or most of these criteria were:
a. Lancer Ralliart Sportback - 'all that' and Turbo/AWD. Get the Ralliart and for a few low cost mods you are running 0 to 60 in 5 seconds (same as a Ferrari Testarossa - look it up ;) ) Cost is $27K new. Only downside - an automatic tranny. BUT! it is a twin clutch unit (like a Porsche PDK) with true manual performance (and Launch Control ;) ). Just no clutch pedal :( Another good option is the Lancer GTS Sportback with the 2.4L engine and manual tranny.

b. WRX (very close family resembalance - both have WRC DNA in the lineage) and did well on all above (and bested the Lancer with a manual tranny), BUT no integral roof rack (just add-on like any other car), but... just... uglee to me. I tried. I could not do it.

I married the pretty sister! No regrets.

Attachments

• IMGP4571.jpg
    IMGP4571.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 103
I've thought hard about this too and have a few more cars to throw in the mix:

MK VII GTI - Coming out this year, supposed to be excellent. You do, of course, always have the german reliability issues, so I would only consider leasing.

2014 Mazda 6 Wagon - I've been pestering Mazda with emails to bring this thing over to America. I would definitely buy this over everything you listed if they sold it here.

Back