What Auto Braking?

i hope you know how to set your presets (favorites) now. =) It's imperative, as when connecting CP or AA the radio stops playing, so all you have to do is hit favorites and select radio station.
Yeah and you can even use one of the buttons on the steering wheel to browse through the presets so your eyes don't have to leave the road.

i hope you know how to set your presets (favorites) now. =) It's imperative, as when connecting CP or AA the radio stops playing, so all you have to do is hit favorites and select radio station.
Yeh, I've got them set.
Thank you for the tip, and the concern.

But I still have to look at the screen to scroll to the station I want rather than just push "Button 3." And Voice Recognition is spotty.

Now, the major contributing factor to that near collision at that time was my initial lack of familiarity with the system and my being stupid enough to be playing with it while on the road. There's rarely any traffic to speak of around here, and it was a strange set of circumstances, but it was absolutely my fault.

As I've said before, it's a strange mix of nanny features for "safety" while so much of the "I know right where it is without looking" physical interface has been aggregated into a computer screen that takes our eyes off the road.

Yeah and you can even use one of the buttons on the steering wheel to browse through the presets so your eyes don't have to leave the road.
Sure, if you want to listen to every station as you browse to hear if it's the one you want. And you can't tell if a commercial in on. So your eyes are still on the screen to select the one you want. And you gotta browse through the entire list until you get to the one you want.

It's not an improvement.

Sure, if you want to listen to every station as you browse to hear if it's the one you want. And you can't tell if a commercial in on. So your eyes are still on the screen to select the one you want. And you gotta browse through the entire list until you get to the one you want.

It's not an improvement.
Oh, I see. I just skip through until I hear a song I like but I can see the problem if you want a specific station.

Oh, I see. I just skip through until I hear a song I like but I can see the problem if you want a specific station.
Yup.

Voice Recognition is great when it works. And for some reason it's actually getting better (failing less often). I have no idea how that can be...electronics don't "learn." It's been a matter of not loading properly.

I use VR for XM stations (by saying the station's name or channel#). I have no idea how you would use it for FM stations.

I'm still searching for a comprehensive list of Voice Commands...

Mine scared the crap out of me driving up to a parking gate arm. Braked automatically.

Where did you find that citation regarding applying the brakes automatically? I searched my 2019 manual and find nothing that says the car stops automatically. There is no "SCBS R" in my manual or on Mazda's Sig specs pages. I thought we had this discussion here about the Sig lacking the "in reverse" braking feature.

I Googled "SCBS Mazda" and found this: https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/precrash_safety/sbs/

However, it does not appear to apply to the US versions, nor even mention the CX-5. So, you're more than likely correct. :)

This 2020 CX-5 online manual does mention something about a "Rear end collision warning", but not much else.

The SCBS system will operate under the following conditions.
  • The engine is running.
  • The Smart Brake Support/Smart City Brake Support (SBS/SCBS) system warning indication/warning light (amber) does not illuminate.
  • (Rear-end collision warning)
    The vehicle speed is about 4 to 80 km/h (2 to 50 mph).

I Googled "SCBS Mazda" and found this: https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/precrash_safety/sbs/

However, it does not appear to apply to the US versions, nor even mention the CX-5. So, you're more than likely correct. :)

When I first started looking I got all sorts of folks here wrapped around the axle regarding Traffic Sign Recognition features I pulled out of a manual I found on line. I had snapshots of the page and everything!!! Turns out it was a non-North American manual written in English. Oops 🤭

Mine scared the crap out of me driving up to a parking gate arm. Braked automatically.

Mine went off early one foggy morning on one of the winding roads around here.
I was headed for a sharp (90°) left-hand curve and I saw BRAKE! on my windshield...but the car didn't brake.

This is in the manual:

In the following cases, the Advanced SCBS may operate.
>Objects on the road at the entrance to a curve.

I suspect there must have been something in the yard directly in front of me that I did not see, or the radar/camera saw the fence at a particular angle.

I'm up that way once..sometimes twice...a week. Never happened before or since.

Mine went off early one foggy morning on one of the winding roads around here.
I was headed for a sharp (90°) left-hand curve and I saw BRAKE! on my windshield...but the car didn't brake.

This is in the manual:

I suspect there must have been something in the yard directly in front of me that I did not see, or the radar/camera saw the fence at a particular angle.

I'm up that way once..sometimes twice...a week. Never happened before or since.
Sounds like more of a 2-tier system. Notification to Brake and Actual Braking.

Sounds like more of a 2-tier system. Notification to Brake and Actual Braking.
Yes, it is.

Lots of us have stories of coming up a little too quickly on a vehicle turning off the road, and our systems Notify to Brake, but not Brake.

Mine had Notified probably close to 10 times the past year, and actually Braked once. But if you look back in these comments you'll see where I posted owner's manual excerpts stating when the system will not Brake (like you're steering to avoid collision.)

Yeh, I've got them set.
Thank you for the tip, and the concern.

But I still have to look at the screen to scroll to the station I want rather than just push "Button 3." And Voice Recognition is spotty.

What would be nice is if the radio station channel shows up regardless of what screen you are in, especially when pressing the preset buttons on the steering wheel, that would really help, wonder if that is implemented on the new Gen infotainment on the mazda3 and cx-30?

What would be nice is if the radio station channel shows up regardless of what screen you are in, especially when pressing the preset buttons on the steering wheel, that would really help, wonder if that is implemented on the new Gen infotainment on the mazda3 and cx-30?
It would help, but you still gotta look at a screen.

For where I now live, this is no big deal. But outside the DC area where I moved from (lots of stop & go traffic), it would be dangerous.

I tried a test yesterday driving into this plastic storage bin from the front at about 6 kph and the car plowed into it with no braking action. I tried the same test backing into it with same result. I thought the bin would be spotted by the car's sensors. I guess not. I wonder what criteria the car requires to force braking. This makes me doubtful about the efficiency of the system.

More confusion about what the low-grade tech can and can't do and under what specific circumstances (I'm sure it's covered in the owner's manual)...just another example here. The criteria is, apparently, a very large object, a car, directly in front and/or directly behind right where its field of view sweet spot is. It's a perfect world ya know. And yes, it should make you doubtful about why the stuff is even in the car in the first place, and, doubtful as to why you had to pay for it.

It would help, but you still gotta look at a screen.

For where I now live, this is no big deal. But outside the DC area where I moved from (lots of stop & go traffic), it would be dangerous.
Unless! they show the radio station channel on the HUD whenever it's changed, now that would be great! so they can still keep the HUD info minimal but have the ability to display the channels.

Unless! they show the radio station channel on the HUD whenever it's changed, now that would be great! so they can still keep the HUD info minimal but have the ability to display the channels.
One day I was trolling the NHTSA site for legacy recall and TSB stuff, and came upon a software patch that incidentally (not it's primary goal) removed the tach from the HUD on CX-9s because it was deemed to be "too distracting." So at one point there was at least that information before the "You'll shoot your eye out" crowd got hold of it.

I'd like the option to add (or be able to pulse for a few seconds):
>Radio station/song info (maybe just when changing channels)
>Turn signals (why are these not in the mirrors where we can see that they're on?)
>Transmission gear (turn off when cruising in 6th)
>Tach (turn off when cruising in 6th)
>Coolant temp (perhaps bring up when it starts to increase from a steady state)

All of those things have gauges (or a screen) that require taking our eyes off the road. How is being on the HUD worse than looking down at the dash?

One day I was trolling the NHTSA site for legacy recall and TSB stuff, and came upon a software patch that incidentally (not it's primary goal) removed the tach from the HUD on CX-9s because it was deemed to be "too distracting." So at one point there was at least that information before the "You'll shoot your eye out" crowd got hold of it.

I KNEW IT!
i thought i test drove the cx-9 and it had a tachometer...phew good to know i wasn't losing it.

and yes i agree with your comment

More confusion about what the low-grade tech can and can't do and under what specific circumstances (I'm sure it's covered in the owner's manual)...just another example here. The criteria is, apparently, a very large object, a car, directly in front and/or directly behind right where its field of view sweet spot is. It's a perfect world ya know. And yes, it should make you doubtful about why the stuff is even in the car in the first place, and, doubtful as to why you had to pay for it.
Because statistically there are many accidents avoided by them. I visit the USA every year and the misuse of mobile phones seems to be getting worse to me. I regularly see drivers not only using their phone but browsing and texting on them so I’m quite happy for cars to include autonomous braking even if it isn’t perfect.

Back