What are your favorite aspects of your CX-5?

Wasn’t it just GT (and later the higher trims) that got the auto aligning headlight beams?
If you mean adaptive (the headlights turn with the steering wheel) then yes GT and Signature only. However I have a 2020 Canadian GS equivalent to US Touring and it has auto leveling headlights.

These are the real adaptive lights. Do you guys have these in Canada?
I actually thought we had these when I got my car in 2016. I was very unhappy to learn that they are were not allowed in the US at the time.
Only very recently, like within the last year, something was changed and we should be seeing this here soon. Volvo already has some US cars with this technology.

AFS (Adaptive Front-Lighting System) and ALH (Auto-Leveling Headlights)
Headlights that swivel left or right, depending on the direction you're turning, are AFS headlights. These have the ALH function built into them to automatically control the upward and downward motion of the lights for going up or down hills or over bumps, and with heavy loads in the car or while towing.

ALH (Adaptive LED Headlights)
LED headlights with an array that dims individual LEDs to prevent blinding other drivers while lighting up more of the road.

ALH is available in other markets, but we do not have it in North America. We have AFS only. As @7eregrine mentioned, we should be seeing ALH in future models.

AFS (Adaptive Front-Lighting System) and ALH (Auto-Leveling Headlights)
Headlights that swivel left or right, depending on the direction you're turning, are AFS headlights. These have the ALH function built into them to automatically control the upward and downward motion of the lights for going up or down hills or over bumps, and with heavy loads in the car or while towing.

ALH (Adaptive LED Headlights)
LED headlights with an array that dims individual LEDs to prevent blinding other drivers while lighting up more of the road.

ALH is available in other markets, but we do not have it in North America. We have AFS only. As @7eregrine mentioned, we should be seeing ALH in future models.
Yeah, we sure would like to see Mazda and all other car manufactures feature the ALH (Adaptive LED Headlights) as soon as possible for the US market after DOT / NHTSA finally approved such sophisticated LED headlight system after Toyota and Audi filed petition for the system several years ago. AFS (Adaptive Front-light System) currently available on Mazda CX-5 is an outdated headlight system with mechanical moving parts which isn’t reliable for long-term and not as effective and convenient as the ALH.

These are the real adaptive lights. Do you guys have these in Canada?
I actually thought we had these when I got my car in 2016. I was very unhappy to learn that they are were not allowed in the US at the time.
Only very recently, like within the last year, something was changed and we should be seeing this here soon. Volvo already has some US cars with this technology.
So Volvo already has it? 👍🏼 I’m waiting for Toyota and Lexus offer such system as Toyota and Audi filed the petition to DOT / NHTSA for such system originally.

So Volvo already has it? 👍🏼 I’m waiting for Toyota and Lexus offer such system as Toyota and Audi filed the petition to DOT / NHTSA for such system originally.
I thought they did. I swear it was offered when I looked last year. Just peeked, they've changed the website and pricing options drastically since the last time I looked. They used to have like 7 different options packages. I hated it. Looks like they've completely dropped that type of packaging now and just have 3 trims. I will investigate further when I'm not at work. ;)
Here's the article about the NHTSA changing to allow these headlights now.

The 2023 CX-5 is still affordable. In Canada a base GS with std AWD is $33,360. By comparison a base CRV with AWD is $39,655 (OK equipment is not the same but still with steel wheels and wheel covers!) while a base HRV with AWD is $33,095. Bottom line, for the price of the HRV one can get a CX-5:unsure::unsure::unsure:. This is a no brainer for me.

The 2023 CX-5 is still affordable. In Canada a base GS with std AWD is $33,360. By comparison a base CRV with AWD is $39,655 (OK equipment is not the same but still with steel wheels and wheel covers!) while a base HRV with AWD is $33,095. Bottom line, for the price of the HRV one can get a CX-5:unsure::unsure::unsure:. This is a no brainer for me.

On top of that, I think the CX-5 is a much safer vehicle than the HR-V.

Skip to 1:35 for the best and worst performers of IIHS' new (as of last year) tougher side impact test.

Base model CX-5 USA $26,700
Base model CR-V USA $31,110
Base model HR-V USA $23,800
Base model CX-9 USA $38,750
Base Model Pilot USA $38,080
I would think the CX-9 would be a competitor to the:
Base Model Passport $41,100

Let's also mention AWD is standard on the base model CX-5. Extra $1,500 on the CR-V. Could be why the popularity has skyrocketed in snowy cold Ohio.
I don't understand how Honda outsells Mazda anymore. :D

Base model CX-5 USA $26,700
Base model CR-V USA $31,110
Base model HR-V USA $23,800
Base model CX-9 USA $38,750
Base Model Pilot USA $38,080
I would think the CX-9 would be a competitor to the:
Base Model Passport $41,100

Let's also mention AWD is standard on the base model CX-5. Extra $1,500 on the CR-V. Could be why the popularity has skyrocketed in snowy cold Ohio.
I don't understand how Honda outsells Mazda anymore. :D
Here it doesn't. Where I'm at we see more Mazdas than Hondas.
We even see more Subies than Hondas.

i like the dash and interior design on the hr-v (and other new models), but don't care for the exterior styling, feature packaging, weak engine of the new hr-v. the cr-v and other models they're dropping trim levels and features that used to be in them. where's the EX trim? most hondas don't even have an EX trim and, if they do, they lost features the older EX models had, like moonroofs, power seats, siriusXM (yes i know i'm biased and need my siriusXM) etc. Cheapening these cars (other than the top trim levels) may come to bite them in the rear end eventually.

i like the dash and interior design on the hr-v (and other new models), but don't care for the exterior styling, feature packaging, weak engine of the new hr-v. the cr-v and other models they're dropping trim levels and features that used to be in them. where's the EX trim? most hondas don't even have an EX trim and, if they do, they lost features the older EX models had, like moonroofs, power seats, siriusXM (yes i know i'm biased and need my siriusXM) etc. Cheapening these cars (other than the top trim levels) may come to bite them in the rear end eventually.
Here's a CR-V review from a well known Canadian auto journalist. I like the title! He forgot to mention if they still have oil dilution by gasoline and low heater output in cold climates as it's basically the same engine as before; this is the main reason I didn't buy one in 2020 because I live in a cold climate and do mostly short trips. They also use a small battery (group 51R) so a battery tender is highly recommended and is listed as an accessory on their Canadian website (sic).

Last edited:
Here's a CR-V review from a well known Canadian auto journalist. I like the title! He forgot to mention if they still have oil dilution by gasoline and low heater output in cold climates as it's basically the same engine as before; this is the main reason I didn't buy one in 2020 because I live in a cold climate and do mostly short trips. They also use a small battery (group 51R) so a battery tender is highly recommended and is listed as an accessory on their Canadian website (sic).
Wants me to disable my Ad Blocker not going to happen. I'll spend my time elsewhere!

yeah, i don't like how they use small/weak batteries in a lot of models (they have done this since at least the 2000s). thankfully, there are usually either bigger or more powerful batteries that fit in the spot of the OEM battery. i remember going for the gold level batteries to get more cold cranking amps etc. we are not set up for block heaters at least here in upstate NY. no plugs sticking out in the parking lots to plug into. it's not really that much warmer here, sometimes it's colder here than in say Toronto, depending on the winds etc. if a battery won't crank, we usually have to jump it from another car or one of those chargeable battery packs. not sure about the oil dilution issue. even when i asked on a honda-centric forum, my question was edited by a mod/admin and their faq info indicated that the consensus was that the issue was resolved, though we know this wasn't really the case.

Edit: looking at that review of the Canadian CR-V, it looks like you guys get the LX trim, but i think ours starts at EX for the CR-V (most other models have nixxed the EX trim). They gave our EX some cool features over what an LX would have, but not as many as the older model had, if I remember right (sorry, too lazy to look now :LOL: ).

Yeah, the new CR-V prices have gotten insane. Almost $34,000 USD for a base CR-V AWD. VS $28,000 for a base CX-5 AWD.
getting rid of the LX probably didn't help, though that model apparently wasn't that much cheaper, was pretty low on features and didn't sell well (even the special edition was more or less a barebones model). they did away with the LX hybrid after a couple of years due to low sales too. whether they did it to get more money or totally due to low sales, i'm not sure.

not sure about the oil dilution issue. even when i asked on a honda-centric forum, my question was edited by a mod/admin and their faq info indicated that the consensus was that the issue was resolved, though we know this wasn't really the case.

Wow, a mod edited your post just for asking a perfectly good question? I would have just quoted your post and left a reference to the FAQ. Seems like they've had to deal with a lot of those kinds of questions..

Okay, I am off topic (slightly) but what I don't like about the current generation CX5 is actually the interior layout of the dash and the central console/cup holders place, etc. It is an excellent car, however for me this is the main detractor in buying one. They definitely need to update the dashboard, center console area and the steering wheel. Funny thing is that if you would put the new CX50 layout in the CX5 you will have a way better car.

Okay, I am off topic (slightly) but what I don't like about the current generation CX5 is actually the interior layout of the dash and the central console/cup holders place, etc. It is an excellent car, however for me this is the main detractor in buying one. They definitely need to update the dashboard, center console area and the steering wheel. Funny thing is that if you would put the new CX50 layout in the CX5 you will have a way better car.
Agreed.
Center console ...has no functional center armrest..more like an elbow rest. Had to make my own armrest extender.
And it's too deep...was able to get aftermarket trays to fix that though. Cupholders would get better if we're moved more forward.
After awhile, have learned to live with it.

One thing I've never had issues with in a car... cup holder placement.

Back