Off Topic What are ya listening to?

I didn't really grow up knowing much of or listening to a lot of music so I am more discovering it later in life (I'm 30).

I've found stuff I've liked in most genres. Though there are a few genres I am definitely not into. Rap, hip hop, most country as well (I enjoy old country). Where I differentiate from 7eregrine is while I enjoy plenty of rock, I don't like heavy metal at all.

Where I differentiate from 7eregrine is while I enjoy plenty of rock, I don't like heavy metal at all.
Oh, but you love Tool, guaranteed. You just may not know it yet!

Tool is a band that I should really dig. It's technical and progressive, and they have their nice groovy moments as well as the heavy bits. But something doesn't click for me. Same with Dream Theater and Daft Punk. Technically amazing music that ticks all the right boxes, but I think it's too perfect and caught up in technical details. I need a bit of dirt and chaos in my music to really capture the groove and get the head nodding!

Absolutely love the bass line in Forty Six & 2 though :D

@ColoradoDriver I reckon digging deeper in to genres leads to gems that really show off the good parts of the genre without relying on the top40/ overplayed examples that everyone knows.

Hiphop: Chinese Man feat. A.S.M -Wolf

Rap: Chika - NPR tiny desk concert (Fair bit of swearing here)

I don't know enough country songs unfortunately, hopefully someone else can chip in?

Lastly, here's something a bit fun
Thank You Scientist Feat. The Bluecoats - FXMLDR (solar powered live performance!)

Great thread. Must get around to updating the speakers and amps in the CX5 . No sub and door speakers get muddy on bass. Pitty the infotainment system only does speaker out. Will no doubt hold back the system.

Music wise have a few hundred albums on vinyl, 400 CDs, bunch of SACD. I mostly listen to music in digital form but do enjoy the odd on my fairly decent turntable and 1980s pre and power amp setup.

Music tastes vary, but I listen to most styles of music.

This week I’ve been listening to an album by the lead singer from Depeche Mode and a Dub / orchestra concert done in NZ a few years back.

and

Oh, but you love Tool, guaranteed. You just may not know it yet!

What's not to love about a band with songs like "hooker with a penis", stinkfist" and "prison sex"? :ROFLMAO: They are technically gnarly though, which makes this cover even more sick.

What's not to love about a band with songs like "hooker with a penis", stinkfist" and "prison sex"? :ROFLMAO: They are technically gnarly though, which makes this cover even more sick.

That cover is so good, it could have been done by session musicians!

Mike Ness, SxDx's front man, is a demigod. Someone asked him once if his music was Rock, Punk, or Country. He simply said "Yes".

Mike Ness, SxDx's front man, is a demigod. Someone asked him once if his music was Rock, Punk, or Country. He simply said "Yes".
Hell yeah. 👍
Such a cool time for music in general. Getting to see would-be lost bands like that (and this) are what the internet was made for.

...speaking of music in NZ
Gotta love how he comes back out at 6:24 for the bag of weed and high five.

Last edited:
I'll offer a slightly different take on this.

I don't know why, but I've always found it neat to listen to radio stations from abroad. Not internet ones, the online Listen Live feature of terrestrial radio. Kost fm out of LA for couple weeks has been a recent one. Just basic adult comtem stuff, but it sort of makes me feel an LA vibe. Ive listened to NYC ones too, and oddly New Zealand ones using radio garden.

News and traffic even, I get a kick out of it.

I'll offer a slightly different take on this.

I don't know why, but I've always found it neat to listen to radio stations from abroad. Not internet ones, the online Listen Live feature of terrestrial radio. Kost fm out of LA for couple weeks has been a recent one. Just basic adult comtem stuff, but it sort of makes me feel an LA vibe. Ive listened to NYC ones too, and oddly New Zealand ones using radio garden.

News and traffic even, I get a kick out of it.
Try WIYY out of Baltimore, MD for their weekday morning show. It's on at 5-10AM EST (UTC-4), no idea what that would be where you are, though. Those guys are just plain nuts. I live 10 hours away from that town, but I still try to pick them up via the Listen Live when I can!

@rmartine Probably the most appropriate song for a treadmill!

@NealfromNZ Gidday! The drums on that Salmonella Dub track are juuuust right! love the Tui sounds mixed in as well
In a similar vein: Shapeshifter - One

@Natey That's a eerie song choice, I do like the progression in the song though
And I agree, the amount of music that has been saved from obscurity by youtube and the likes is inspiring!

@theblooms Neat, I love the mix of country-esque lyrics and the rock beat with the rockabilly guitars. My favourite bands are all incredibly difficult to nail down to a genre :)

@GTA-CX9 I'm the same when driving, no bluetooth and only a few CDs in the car!
I've fallen in love with Radio NZ National, which is a talk/news station but the sheer diversity of interviews and segments means that there's always something new to learn. Plus they have their NZ live segments, which is local artists performing live:

Lets go allllll the way to the other side of the world to Norway, Leprous is one of my all time favourite bands. Every song is fresh and different, while still being distinctly Leprous. A single from their new album dropped this week:

It's a little rougher and less polished than their previous releases, but boy does it sound great!

Haha, I dunno about the 'Femms being eerie. I always figured they were some kind of semi-punk new-wave party band from the 80s. :unsure:

Did someone say "less polished"?

Lazy Saturday morning, just been working through a component list for a Bluetooth boom box I’m making for my daughters birthday. Found a small 5 inch sub that will play to 34 hz Tang Band W5. Could be a good replacement sub for those Mazda’s running Bose. Will use some 4 inch soundstream component speakers I used for rear fill in one of my earlier car stereo projects… I digress

on the list this morning

@Natey Sorry! Was referring to the Zager & Evans song :) I do like me some proto-punk though

@NealfromNZ Deep in my project list there is a pair of back loaded horn speakers using the little 4" Tang Band drivers, the bluetooth speaker you're working on sounds cool! Please share some pics when its done!

And this is totally a compliment, my Dad would dig all of your tunes this morning! (So do I for that matter)

That makes way more sense, and no need to say sorry! 👍

So many people are insanely talented yet unknown to most. Ben Howard is definitely in that category.

Those kids do a great job ( as do Tool “

On the subject of great drumming this drum battle is up there.

Back