Weird Noise!

FunkyCold5

:
2003 Black Mica MSP
Hello all. I hope someone may be able to help me with this. I started hearing this weird noise underneath my car. At first I thought it was a piece of metal rubbing the road (that's what it was sounding like), but it wasn't too loud. It was also hard to replicate, it comes and goes. I've checked underneath the car, wheel wells, and engine, and nothing is rubbing. Don't know how long it has been going on because I only started hearing it when my window was down and radio was off.

It happened again today, so I'm writing this thread. I noticed it happened when I downshifted to 4th gear, and when I accelerated I heard the noise. I let go of the gas and it stopped, accelerated and I heard it again. Once I shifted to other gears, didn't hear anything......and when I went back to 4th, nothing. Could it be my LSD? If the LSD breaks, would I still be able to drive or I should be on the side of the road? I'm going to the dealership for new tires, so I hope to solve this so I can explain to them what it could be. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Andrew

Once the LSD goes you may be sitting on the road or be able to drive it for a few miles. Basically the diff when you apply some torque to it it will start slipping. Mine broke and I drove it for a few miles but I didn't come to a complete stop anywhere. I got it into my driveway and tried to pull it out of it and it wouldn't budge.

Back