Weird "Jingle" Noise under acceleration load.

00bluees

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
so my car has been doing this for a while now on and off. probably a good 2 years. and today i finally started really poking my head around to see what it was.

what happens is, under hard-er acceleration through the top of first, up through 2nd and 3rd i get this "jingle" noise coming from the front of the car somewhere, i believe in front of the firewall. it sounds liik something is loose and bouncing around when the engine is under the heaviest load. this ONLY happens when accelarating, not crusing or revving or anything.

at first i thought it was one of the springs at the j-pipe/midpipe joint since my rear engine mount is shot so i thought maybe the was enough flex to let the spring bounce around. but i was picturing the springs in my head all wrong, due to their position there is NO WAY this would happen, and the nuts are nice and tight.

my next thought is one of the VCTS or VICS butterfly plates bouncing around in the intake mani, but that doesn't really add up either because its only really noticeable at lower (in town) speeds and i wouldn't think there would be enough going on for this too happen. plus its been a good 2 years so if it was that something would have ended up inside the engine by now i would think.

the other thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. i went out with my camera today to try and record a video so you could hear the noise, but it wouldn't do it. WTF!

anyone have any ideas??

I've got the same symptoms. Don't think it's a heatshield. I thought butterflies as well. Seems to happen around where VICS would activate. It's happened since I got the car a few years ago.

I have a similar noise, I think, but it's not really jingling but more of a tapping/clicking. I don't hear it all the time, although I heard it really loud the last time I took it autocrossing. I'm guessing that its either a heat shield rattling, or worse, valve adjustment problem or gearbox problem.

Does it sound like pea gravel in a tin can? My guess is that you suffer from pinging. I got the same thing going on all of a sudden. I've switched to premium gas and it has reduced the noise but not completely. It started for me about 6 months ago. It drives me nuts, there must be a fix. Anyone got some good ideas?

my car started pinging a few months ago. plugs are good. wires are good. always rum mid grade gas. i have 105000 miles. problem turned out to be the air intake tube between maf and throttle body. one of the cracks finally split wide open. like 75% the way around! the fix? threw on a k&n cai. no more pinging

turns out, well i think anyways, the nut/bolt at the bottom of my shifter was loose. i knew this and was leaving it until i replaced my shifter bushings but didn't even occur to me that it would make this noise (it wasn't that loose). i guess it was the problem, as i haven't heard the noise since i tightened the nut. yay for simple fixes.

ok noise is back. not quite as loud as before i originally tightened the hisfter bolt. might be coming loose again. hopefully i'll have it all quiet again in a month or so when i tear into the car and replace my rear engine mount and intake mani. along with new shifter bushings, front ball joint boot and maybe some front sway bushings.

Blast from the past. Since my last post i have replaced both front control arms, rear engine mount, had the intake mani off and apart, and probably more stuff. With all of that done i still get the noise. (worth noting i did all of that for other reasons, not to try and chase this noise down )

To be honest i wrote off the possibility of it being pinging or detonation of any kind because i couldnt picture what it sounded like. Now that i review the comments in here I'm second guessing myself. It would make sense too because i currently am using the "long reach" ngk plugs and not the stock replacement plugs, since last time i did the plugs the store had the zfr5f-11 in stock and not the stock replacement parts. So i will be swapping plugs back to stock, then maybe the noise will finally go away. Plus im due for plugs anyway.

one thing not mentioned...check the rear engine mount. Its under the intake manifold, and bolts to a 'shelf' on the firewall. I had some really weird full throttle resonance a few years ago too, ended up being the rubber had completely been ripped and eaten away...and it would 'bottom out' only under hard acceleration...transferring what sounded like a little bell into the cabin...can't really explain it, but it definitely wasn't exactly a 'oh thats a bad engine mount' kind of sound...i actually couldn't figure it out until a friend would rev it while i looked under the hood...and i saw how much the engine was moving...

i replaced it with an AWR 95 durometer mount...now the car creaks, vibrates, makes noise...at idle, full throttle, and everything in between...but it was intentional, so acceptable haha.

same for me. no clue what is making it but its been doing it for maybe 2 years now. motor runs great so ill just say its a normal thing

had this issue on my 03 p5. tried premium gas helped but didnt solve. did a throttle body clean and didnt make a difference. Then i changed plugs, wires, and the split intake pipe all in one sitting. no pinging since. hope this helps. no more cel too!!

big bump again. just put it fresh plugs and ran a tank of premium (91 octane) through her but the noise is still prevalent in the warm summer weather. so i don't think its pinging. air filter is always kept clean. also a few posts back the rear mount was mentioned as a source. its not that as i changed mine and the noise remained identical. never does it in the cold. basically any time it is over 20 degrees celcius, and the hotter it gets the louder it is. i've gotten to the point that i don't give a s*** about the car, or the noise. i just want to know where its coming from!!!

Back