Wavy windshield + Double vision (2024 CX-50)

Hi guys,

Brand new CX50 owner here from Vancouver BC. Just picked up a 24 GT Turbo yesterday and right away noticed significant warping of the windshield. I know almost all cars have this but it seems significantly severe on my CX50. If I move my head up and down I can see the car in front change shape slightly (like in on of those funny mirrors at the circus). What makes mine worse is when there is a direct light source (oncoming headlights, brake lights, street lamps), it refracts the light to produce a duplicate (like astigmatism double vision effect). Must be something with the laminating process and poor QC. I've read quite a few Mazda owners with the warped windshield but never read anything about the double refraction yet (no its not my eyes..) Anyone else have this? Brand new car with 75kms on it, Nov 2023 build date. Thanks!

I had a similar issue with a new VW GTi (2012). Area was in the passenger's line of sight.
It was replaced under warranty.

I'd say stop by the dealership and get it looked at for replacement. if it's in your line of sight there should be zero issue with having it replaced ASAP with an OEM unit.

Is it OEM stamped glass? Maybe the windshield was damaged in transit and replaced with an aftermarket option? Or possibly had some damage polished out of the glass?

Ya I'll drop by and have them look at it. It's OEM stamped with Mazda logo so don't thing it's a replacement. The effect is evident through the whole width of the glass so don't think it's a polish. Seems like manufacturing defect?

Ya I'll drop by and have them look at it. It's OEM stamped with Mazda logo so don't thing it's a replacement. The effect is evident through the whole width of the glass so don't think it's a polish. Seems like manufacturing defect?

Yeah definitely seems like it. If the dealer has another CX-50 on the lot, I would go back and talk to them to see if you can compare. Hopefully the dealer can accommodate you and replace the windshield.

If you encounter any pushback, escalate to Mazda Corporate and tell them you don't feel safe driving the car with this defective windshield.

Just got back from the dealer and they agreed to get it replaced under warranty, in and out in under 20 mins. The Canadian Mazda Rep was there doing some training so maybe that's why they agreed so quickly. They definitely see the wave and said possibly due to a bad batch. The rep took a video as well as a photo with the Mazda stamp on the glass, possibly to check if there are other cases from the same batch. The effect through the windshield is like drunk driving, headache, dizzyness, and double vision. They've yet to see it on the CX50 but definitely had the same situation on other models. Would take them 6 weeks or so to get a new panel shipped from the States because the CX50 is still fairly newish. Definitely take it in if anyone else has this issue. Thanks all!

Just got back from the dealer and they agreed to get it replaced under warranty, in and out in under 20 mins. The Canadian Mazda Rep was there doing some training so maybe that's why they agreed so quickly. They definitely see the wave and said possibly due to a bad batch. The rep took a video as well as a photo with the Mazda stamp on the glass, possibly to check if there are other cases from the same batch. The effect through the windshield is like drunk driving, headache, dizzyness, and double vision. They've yet to see it on the CX50 but definitely had the same situation on other models. Would take them 6 weeks or so to get a new panel shipped from the States because the CX50 is still fairly newish. Definitely take it in if anyone else has this issue. Thanks all!
Good to hear you had a positive experience.

Hi guys,

Brand new CX50 owner here from Vancouver BC. Just picked up a 24 GT Turbo yesterday and right away noticed significant warping of the windshield. I know almost all cars have this but it seems significantly severe on my CX50. If I move my head up and down I can see the car in front change shape slightly (like in on of those funny mirrors at the circus). What makes mine worse is when there is a direct light source (oncoming headlights, brake lights, street lamps), it refracts the light to produce a duplicate (like astigmatism double vision effect). Must be something with the laminating process and poor QC. I've read quite a few Mazda owners with the warped windshield but never read anything about the double refraction yet (no its not my eyes..) Anyone else have this? Brand new car with 75kms on it, Nov 2023 build date. Thanks!
Hello, I recently purchased a 2024 CX-50 S Select. I drove 3 hours to a dealership to buy it as my local dealership didn't have the car. On my drive home I felt a headache coming on but didn't realize why. After my wife drove the car she said, "the window is wavy". So, I immediately sent pictures to my salesrep that sold me the car and he told me my local dealership, would handle it. I contacted my local Mazda dealership and set it up for them to replace the windshield. After a couple days we called to check on my new car and they said the new windshield came in, BUT it had a wavy issue also so they re ordered the Windshield and now I'm waiting on that. To me it sounds like the manufacturer is having an issue and there are probably a lot of CX-50's being sold with this issue but driver's aren't immediately noticing it. Maybe the Huntsville Alabama plant doesn't have the same quality as the cars that are made in Japan. I've had a mazda 6, CX-5, CX-30, MazdaSpeed 3 and have had no issues like this.

It's likely a bad batch of parts from their glass supplier. Hopefully they can get you a replacement as quickly as possible!

Hello, I recently purchased a 2024 CX-50 S Select. I drove 3 hours to a dealership to buy it as my local dealership didn't have the car. On my drive home I felt a headache coming on but didn't realize why. After my wife drove the car she said, "the window is wavy". So, I immediately sent pictures to my salesrep that sold me the car and he told me my local dealership, would handle it. I contacted my local Mazda dealership and set it up for them to replace the windshield. After a couple days we called to check on my new car and they said the new windshield came in, BUT it had a wavy issue also so they re ordered the Windshield and now I'm waiting on that. To me it sounds like the manufacturer is having an issue and there are probably a lot of CX-50's being sold with this issue but driver's aren't immediately noticing it. Maybe the Huntsville Alabama plant doesn't have the same quality as the cars that are made in Japan. I've had a mazda 6, CX-5, CX-30, MazdaSpeed 3 and have had no issues like this.
Just got mine replaced last week. The new one is wavy as well and also has that astigmatism effect on on coming lights, but a lot less.... just going to live with it for now. I'm guessing it's qc issue with windshield sourcing for the cx50.

Back