Water in the rear quarter panels...

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
I have water in the rear quarter panels (both sides). Lift up the carpet in the hatch and its sitting their, under the jack and also on the other side.

Any idea how it is getting in and how I can prevent it?
Also, happens in the LX I have.

I drilled holes to drain it and caked the area with grease to stop rust.

If you remove the plastic trim behind the tail lights you will see sealant along the seams. The sealant can be damaged from impacts or just deteriorate over time and leak.

I drilled holes to drain it and caked the area with grease to stop rust.

did you drill a hole clear through towards the wheel well opening? i'm afraid to put holes in the car down there, but I have a decent amount of water pooled up in my jack compartment.

If you don't want to drill holes then read the link posted and re-seal the trunk seams.

did you drill a hole clear through towards the wheel well opening? i'm afraid to put holes in the car down there, but I have a decent amount of water pooled up in my jack compartment.

Yea... That's what I did. Just a tiny little hole at the lowest point to drain it. Then some undercoat spray to stop rust.

Here's what my drain hole evolved into... so I soaked a T-shirt in engine oil and jammed it in there.

I drilled holes in mine.. I sprayed lysol all in the crevices, cleaned it out, and oiled it up to avoid any rust/mold in the future...

I just sealed up my trunk leak with some silicone, took about 5 minutes. I could never drill holes in my car, especially when the correct fix takes less time than breaking out the drill lol

I had the same problem. Seamed to be water was leaking down the edge of the back hatch and leaking through the bolt holes for the taillights. I took them am siliconed them so they wouldn't leak. Seems to have worked for me.

I had the same problem. Seamed to be water was leaking down the edge of the back hatch and leaking through the bolt holes for the taillights. I took them am siliconed them so they wouldn't leak. Seems to have worked for me.

same for me. i purchased plastic washers to install onto the tail lights before putting the nuts back on. been through two bad storms now and the rear is bone dry.

ok i realized i used the wrong word. they were rubber washers lol. they look like this and the opening was just big enough to slip over the stud of the tail lights.

rubber-washer-250x250.jpg

Back