Washing your car

sangs

:
mazda
1) For brand new car, which car wash do you use ? there are multiple car wash offered by different car wash centers ranging from $6 to $20.
2) If you are washing your car yourself, what product do you use and make sure that car paint is not affected at all , and it improves the shining ;)
3) where can I buy car wash products ( shampoo/brush/cloth etc ) and which brand

1) I never go to car washes...
2) My washes are usually done waterless, which is kind of bad for some, but limit of water usage in California sucks ;) Just use waterless sprays from Chemical Guys with a few microfiber towels.
3) Amazon, Chemical Guys, Autogeek. If over the counter (stores e.g., Target, Walmart), Meguiar's products

What he said. 1) I never go to a car wash. 2) I've always used products from Meguiar's. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/ 3) Any big box store, auto parts store, Amazon.
Since this appears to be new to you, I'd suggest that you use Google to find websites that will show you the proper way to wash your car and give you product suggestions. There's tons of info out there. There are some important things to do and to not do in order to get the best results.

Really depends on the color of your car, as well as how meticulous you are about paint care. Dark colors show imperfections such as swirl marks or light scratching in the paint, so you have to be far more careful. When I had a dark gray vehicle, I had to be incredibly careful. Now I have the CX-5 in pearl white, and while I know there are imperfections, I am unable to see them unless bright sunlight hits at just the right angle. Do your research on the interwebs and figure out how much you care about perfect paint because it's a LOT of work.

I have used Mothers for awhile and leaves a really nice shine and feels waxy when I am done.

Oh, where to begin.... Seriously I could write a novel right here but I won't. Check out www.autopia.org and or www.autogeek.com. Both good forums about car detailing and washing with excellent how to's for beginners. But a quick break down for you.
1) don't do car washes, especially the brush kind, touch less if you must, coin operated ones are the best.
2) duragloss 902/903 car shampoo or meguiars gold class (available at Costco) are both really nice for standard washes with a hose. For winter I use optimum no rinse (ONR) and microfiber towels. always use the two bucket method!
3) Amazon, the autopia store and auto geek for online. Surprisingly Walmart has some pretty decent stuff sometimes for over the counter products. I like the meguiars line of product for their ease of use, the fact that they are inexpensive but good quality and available everywhere. I don't like most turtle wax or armourall products.

1) For brand new car, which car wash do you use ? there are multiple car wash offered by different car wash centers ranging from $6 to $20.
2) If you are washing your car yourself, what product do you use and make sure that car paint is not affected at all , and it improves the shining ;)
3) where can I buy car wash products ( shampoo/brush/cloth etc ) and which brand

The first time I wash a new vehicle, I use Dawn dish-washing liquid and microfiber. I use a straight-line technique. I then coat/wax/treat the vehicle with Rejex.

With an SUV though, I typically just do what's cheap. It's not meant to be sexy, and sworls don't bother me on something like my CX5.

I take two buckets to a coin operated car wash and fill them both up with soap from the spray gun. I then spry down the vehicle with the remaining time making sure I coat the entire car with soap. Next I wash the entire car by hand using one bucket to wash with and one to rinse my wash mitt. I use a second mitt to clean inside the rims. Finally I use the spray gun to rinse the entire car with more soap, switching to all water, and a huge micro fiber towel for drying. I have done this for 5 years on my BMW and 3 years on my CX5 and the paint has zero swirl marks and looks brand new on both cars. I keep and old pill bottle and fill it with loose quarters as my car wash fund each week.

Garry Dean Method using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. /END of THREAD/

Do you want a constantly "new" looking car? Water beading that lasts 2 weeks? Do you want to spend less of your time? Are you Cheap and want a single product to clean and make paint, trim, wheels, look new? As Garry suggested if you do this method every 2 weeks or so there's no need to apply stand alone wax. Wash/cleaning/protecting all in one step.

I've gone through many products. Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax using the above method is the latest and greatest of them all for me.

1) It has never seen an automatic car wash with the exception of a run through a touchless wash to get the New England salt off the undercarriage. It will never go through a Scratch-O-Matic as long as I own it, hand washes only.

2) The following has worked for me over the years with different cars:

Weekly:

Vacuum.
Mother's VLR and/or Protectant on interior surfaces.
Mother's Instant Detailer on the interior door jambs / pillars.
Wheels washed with Mother's Foaming Tire and Wheel Cleaner and their wheel brush. Wheel wells given the once over with their wheel well brush.
Wash with Mother's California Gold car wash and a microfiber mitt using the two bucket method (both buckets have Grit Guards).
Dry with a waffle weave drying towel.
Quick once over with Mother's California Gold Spray Wax.

Monthly:

Same as above, but a full waxing with Mother's California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax rather than the Spray Wax, and I go over the exterior black trim with the Mother's Protectant. Also the leather upholstery gets cleaned with Mother's Leather Cleaner and then conditioned with their Leather Conditioner.

6 Monthly:

Same as above, but I use the Mother's Clay Bar after drying, then the full Mother's 3-Step system.

3) Amazon, Pep Boys, Autozone, Benny's - the nice thing about using OTC products like Mother's or Meguiar's is that they're readily available. Hard to go wrong with either brand if you follow the instructions.

Last edited:
My dealership washes my car every time I take it in for any work. In the mean time, I mostly vacuum it. Unless a bird craps on it, or they salt the roads. Then I wash. That is another option.

I go to car washes, but bring my own sponge. Never use those foamy brushes as it scratches up the clear coat.

I go to car washes, but bring my own sponge. Never use those foamy brushes as it scratches up the clear coat.

I always spray the brush before using it. I don't pass this off as something I'd do to a vehicle that wasn't just a daily beater, but I don't have any horrible sworls from it, either.

I run my cars through automatic touchless carwashes and never had a problem. I also use their free vacuums after the wash.

I use DO IT YOURSELF car washes. I never let anything touch the paint except water with soap and rinse. Ed

Just got finished doing mine. Hand wash ONLY. Two buckets, McGuires Gold Glass carwash. And I had my detailer Cquartz HK the car when it was new. No, I know it's not a Veyron, but I believe in taking care of my vehicles including the paint.

Just got finished doing mine. Hand wash ONLY. Two buckets, McGuires Gold Glass carwash. And I had my detailer Cquartz HK the car when it was new. No, I know it's not a Veyron, but I believe in taking care of my vehicles including the paint.

Amen to that. I plan on keeping mine at least 10 - 15 years, and I'm more concerned about the paint / clearcoat / undercarriage rusting out before the engine gives up. Besides, it's quality man time :D

I would suggest getting on youtube and searching 'how to properly wash a car' and you'll get all kinds of great car washing examples from the pros (as well as what not to do); where to start, technique, how to minimize scratching, etc. Then, pick whichever products you feel you will enjoy using and give 'em a try. I really enjoy Chemical Guys products because I'm a geek like that but AMMONYC is a no nonsense top of the line product that I'm interested in trying sometime soon.
The key really is to learn the proper techniques, buy the products you enjoy using and do the best wash you can - sealing it with something like Jet Seal or Ammo Skin and then you can simple do maintenance washes that take 10-15 min tops. Have fun finding some great ways to baby your new CX-5!

Back