Want opinions on this idea

MP5_Joe

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So my P5 is rusting to sh*t (like many others... damn salt) so I've been fixing it up lately.

So there is rust bubbling up underneath the black door tape (around the top and back of the window). Now me, being the cheap ass that I am thought "I wonder what it would look like if I ripped off the tape, fixed the rust, and then flat blacked the area"

The car is just normal 22v for now, but at some point I plan on smoking the lights, tinting the windows and getting black rims.

So what do you think?

here's a pic if your wondering what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 135
underneath is just normal paint... i think it's only done for cosmetics. I've done it at Mazda when i worked in their bodyshop and don't see a point in it. I would rather paint and get rid of the lines.

There... sigs not so bad now eh?

Last edited:
aren't there clips or retainers or something? idk, I'm just assuming.

I didn't mean you should change it... but that gif is classic. lol

It's not like the moulding, it's just black tape (kind like very wide vinyl tape).
Some of the more high end cars use black metal that just bent into shape overtop of the pillar.

I think it would stand out too much and just look weird. But you could always put it back on if you dont like it, right?

Maybe a satin black then? I have some satin black laying around, I guess its time to experiment!

ive heard of people doing it, i know my dad was talking about doing it to his old maxima but he gave it to my sister and i dont know if he ever got around to it

My gf 6i was having the say issue as yours... the previous owner removed that tape stuff and it ended up rusting like your having. I sanded it down and painted it black and it looks pretty damn good to this day. I did that over a year ago easy.

Back