Wagner cams have arrived!

GNO

It's going to take awhile before I get around to installing them, but they did come in.

I'm in the tailend of a major build-up on my other car. Also, yesterday the A/C compressor fell off and catapolted the P5, lancing the oil pan in the process. I've yet to do a full assesment of the damage, but I'm hoping it's limited to the A/C compressor, compressor bracket and oil pan. I thought my bad luck for the year was over.

damn sux abou the a/c compressor, but conrats on the cams, update on the instalation and maybe some pictures. Good luck w/ the build-up.
(eekdance)

GNO said:
It's going to take awhile before I get around to installing them, but they did come in.

Please remember to verify the Shim tolerance after the caps have been torqued down, It will cause premature wear on the valves or prevent them from closing all the way. Either is s*** for the Motor. You car swapping the one part that really needs to be perfect for a long and happy motor life.

How many years did it take to get them? (naughty)
Interested in seeing the results.

i think the most important thing we should be asking - get the damn things measured and share the figures! ie duration and lift etc. we'll be able to see what they really are then (bet they are copies of my cam specs)

twilightprotege said:
...get the damn things measured and share the figures! ie duration and lift etc....
Agreed, Andy. The more I see of various lift and duration #s, the more they look like yours...

interesting. please get them measured. Also do a before and after with the only change being the cams.

I'd like to know how you got these cams for the P5? Wagner's site had them listed but there was nothing in the link so I figured they don't make them anymore. The only cams I have seen are the "MazdaSpeed" ones on SR's site but I know how you guys all feel about SR...

If anyone knows where some cam gears are as well please let me know...

vindication said:
cam gears. you can get them from tripoint. I think they are made by sun auto

i just looked at tripoint's site and i didn't see anything about protege cam gears or anything really. i heard something about them not working with proteges anymore.

I just noticed that corksport sells the SR adj. cam gears (huh). I guess those are worthy enough to sell - seems SR has something legit.? Still looking for an exhaust cam to match the MazdaSpeed intake one (I know they don't make "MazdaSpeed" ones). Anyone know anything?

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Yendor

How many years did it take to get them? (naughty)
Originally Posted by magnumP5
I'd like to know how you got these cams for the P5?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I ordered them from Wagner some time ago. I think it was March, so not quite years. . . just months. Many many months. I tried cancelling the order after I blew my motor, but did not recieve a response. I tried again after a good deal was posted in the Marketplace section of the forum for a turbo kit. The response I recieve then was that it was a custom part and because of that, the order cannot be cancelled.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by SIBalla23

If u can, get it on a dyno for before and after.
Originally Posted by vindication
interesting. please get them measured. Also do a before and after with the only change being the cams.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I hate to dissappoint, but my original intent was to not dyno. If I dyno, I'll want to do more than cam timing. I'd end up spending more so I can adjust fuel and timing curves. Limiting myself to just a cam swap is going to be hard enough. I'm already considering porting and polishing the heads and port matching the intake while I'm in there. Doing the before/after on just cams will be a challenge. But then again, why do cams without a PnP? Aren't Wagner's postings good enough? ;)

There seem to be enough support here. . . I think I'm going to have to take one for the team.

My club has a dyno day set for the 18th. I was going to dyno my GTP then. If it's not running, I'll let the P5 stand in for a "before" shot. It's just going to suck hitting the dyno with my friends hitting 200-300HP and me hoping to break 100, when everyone was expecting to see me close to 400.

The shimming is going to be a pain. I'm not exactly looking forward to this, after that that has happened (in my life and to the car) since I've ordered the cams. I'm also new to DOHC, so it's all foreign to me, but I'm a quick learner.

Back