VTCS Solenoid

:
2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP
My car is throwing a engine code P2009, which I'm being told is the VTCS solenoid. The Mazda dealership can't order me one without a part number, and I can't find anything telling me where this thing is on the vehicle. Anyone know where it is and how to remove it?

Dorman #911-707 can be purchased at most auto parts store. Or a Borg-Warner #EGR288. Or check under the hood of every Mazda built from the mid-90's to the early 2000's. At one point and time I had 10 or more of these things, but removing the engine and/or disassembling the engine 2103948014890984 times over the past 5 years has resulted in quite a few of them breaking. And I'm down to only 2 extras. Both the MSP and RX8 use the same ones for different items, so I'm keeping them.

Do I have to take the manifold off, or is it just right under the plastic engine cover?

They're mounted directly on top of the intake manifold on a bracket. No need to remove the manifold. There are two of them side-by-side. One of which has a green plug, the other is a white plug. They are interchangeable, but serve the same functions in two different systems. The switching valve itself is held on by a clip to a bracket on the manifold.

Ok, I found them. Looks to have a couple plugs, hoses, and bolts holding it on. Anything special I need to know in regards to taking it off/replacing it?

So i'm seeing that there is a "variable intake-air solenoid valve" for one plug and a "variable tumble solenoid valve" for the other plug. Is it all just one part?

They are the same part number if that's what you're asking. I don't mean Mazda lists them as the same number, but they are THE SAME solenoid, they just control two separate functions.

Ok. So, like someone said up above, it's the one with the green plug (on the passenger side on mine) that would throw the P2009 code and should be replaced?

I never remember which is which, but I'll check AllData, so hold on.

Ok. So, like someone said up above, it's the one with the green plug (on the passenger side on mine) that would throw the P2009 code and should be replaced?

Yes, the passenger side solenoid is the VTCS

Back