Voice controlled Nav system question

nav microphone issues....

I agree with you OMF, I've mentioned several issue I thought could be causing these issues. maybe these systems separate work fine, but combined they cause some loss? bluetooth integrate with nav. I think they need a sw update to resolve these issues and I believe it will make us all happy. Feeling a bit ignored by dealers and Mazda corporate. It's not like we can all take the navigation back to get our money back.. I want a fix, atleast acknowledgement they are working on the issue.

Not to be a jerk, but I'm curious where all of you are driving that's so unfamiliar that you need a computer to tell you how to get there.

(deadhorse

Oh, no! You are not a jerk!...

FYI: Sometimes we drive to places where we (and most likely you) have never been before and don't know how to get there. We all had maps in the last century and found the GPS turn-by-turn voice directions safer. Personal preference.

Nav is easier to use then a map and safer too...
We got along fine before with out iPods and the like before, but I like using them now...

Sorry It just seems that nowadays we invent new technologies and THEN come up with reasons why we need it, rather than filling an existing need, as before.

I drive all over the country to new places, and after a little pre trip planning, dont really have trouble finding places. In fact, before Nav systems, people seemed to get around just fine. Humans also managed to survive without iPODs, cel phones, and presctiption drugs for thousands of years, too.

And we did without mechanically powered vehicles for how many thousands of years too? So, by your logic, we didn't need those either, but you are driving one, aren't you? :D

I'd politely point out that humans used to "survive" to the ripe old age of around 40, with exceptions, of course, hundreds of years ago. So while humans may have survived without these things, they didn't survive nearly as long or as well.

Nav is just a map implemented electronically rather than on a piece of paper and serves the same purpose. And yes, it can give you directions too. Is it 100% reliable? Nope, but then again neither is an out of date paper map.

OK, so you don't see the need for the technology and choose not to avail yourself of it. That's your choice. Others choose to make use of the technology - that's their choice.
How I elect to spend my money is up to me and I don't have any requirement to justify that to anyone but myself. 'Nuff said.

Ted

I have been trying to get answers from mazda about the navigation and showed my dealer techs how to find the "microphone diagnostic" screen and what I don't get is why this diagnostic exists but both dealers I have talked to choose to act like it doesn't matter?? if the diagnostic level meter barely register's any sound coming into the microphone doesn't this or shouldn't this indicate it's not properly adjusted? I honestly feel like were being pacified because they don't have a solution or don't want to make one. Any ideas about the microphone diagnostic on the nav?

I have been trying to get answers from mazda about the navigation and showed my dealer techs how to find the "microphone diagnostic" screen and what I don't get is why this diagnostic exists but both dealers I have talked to choose to act like it doesn't matter?? if the diagnostic level meter barely register's any sound coming into the microphone doesn't this or shouldn't this indicate it's not properly adjusted? I honestly feel like were being pacified because they don't have a solution or don't want to make one. Any ideas about the microphone diagnostic on the nav?

All I can say is that the voice recognition is sporatic as to whether it works or not. Two weeks ago the thing couldn't process a "call so and so" command to save itself, just kept doing weird stuff. Then, last Thursday, it processed a call command flawlessly, not once but 4 times in a row for me. The only difference was that on Thursday it was a lot warmer out than two weeks before. I'm not sure how temperature would play into this, but that's about the only thing that was noticably different.

Ted

Nav

Not to be a jerk, but I'm curious where all of you are driving that's so unfamiliar that you need a computer to tell you how to get there.

Or are you more concerned with showing off the Nav to your friend who dont have it?

I said the very same thing about cellphones and ATM/credit cards however, once I started using them I honestly don't know how I got along without them.

Nav is fast joining those conveniences. Just as cellphones and ATM/credit cards don't do away with wired telephones or cash nav also won't do away with maps. It just makes the process much more convenient.

If you don't have nav in your CX buy a portable Tomtom or Garmin and you will soon notice that you're moving the portable to your other vehicles because it is so helpful.

Mike

Hi,

This might sound absolutely ridiculous and silly but. Almost all the time I try to talk to my Nav it says not on the route guidance crap or Navigation Bank Gas station, Shopping mall or anything else please see the menu., but not doing what I am trying to say. Anyway, when it starts showing all those icons on the map it becomes hard to see street names and in general I like to keep my map clean. So, if I would try to say POI off with my normal voice it never works, not even a single time. But I found a solution, pinch your nose and say it again PeOii uff and it works fine. Can someone try the same with your Nav?, I am just curious.. and if possible no aggressive comments, I already feels like an idiot talking to my car like that.and if I am driving some of my friendsplease I do not even want to think about itpeople already laughing at me.P.S may be we need some weird Japanese accent to talk to Nav(dunno)

Born2drive... I have almost the exact same situation, I've also had the same experience with it saying bank, repeating something totally different. I have a deeper voice and I think that might also cause a problem. I have taken this up with my dealer and mazda and now waiting for a solution, I'm not confident that they will have a quick decision - Mazda is having growing pains. I'm pushing mazda to do something I really feel they can fix this problem. Have you tried the microphone diagnostics?

Warm weather...

I thought I'd dredge this one back up since the problems with the phone voice recognition have gone away with the coming of warm weather. I was using the phone commands today and was 10 for 10 tries sitting stationary, windows open, and using a normal tone of voice - no yelling or raised voice required.

It would appear that this system, for what ever reason, is temperature sensitive and gets dodgy in cold weather.

What are other owners experiencing now that warm weather has returned to the northern hemisphere?

Ted

Nope, it's still bad.

Me -> "Call Home"
Car -> "Dialing zero, is this correct?" at least 50% of the time
Me -> "#@*!"

Hi, Burcrim:
I rarely have problem with the voice recognition.
Because I used to study voice recognition in college, I knew what is involved.
You need to speak slowly, by which I mean speak with a short pause between words.
i.e. do it like "Call ... Home".
Short pauses between words help recognition program.
English (so are other European languages) is a language that is easy to type, but difficult to recognized vocally.
Asian languages are the exact opposite.

Last edited:
navigation separate from bluetooth module... both have voice recognition problems..

you are talking about bluetooth - I was told these are different modules, they go through the navigation head unit but are independent. The training commands only apply to the bluetooth. If you review the training commands you'll see they are all bluetooth. When you push the button to put the system into bluetooth mode you can not give it navigation commands because they are separate systems. I seem to have more problems with the navigation commands, that doesn't mean that the bluetooth is perfect it also has problems. I will say call home and it will say dial 0 or 020. there is alot of problems with this system - if we bought this item at the store we'd take it back or ask them to fix, with a car we can't do this and yet Mazda is doing NOTHING!! I have asked to escalate this issue and they have ignored me and my dealer. I'm in the process of getting all my complaints and class action suit, Mazda has had many complaints for this problem and they are going to have to answer for there lack of response. I think there is a different system in the 2008 models most people having problems have 2007 models. Anyone have simular experiences?

you are talking about bluetooth - I was told these are different modules, they go through the navigation head unit but are independent. The training commands only apply to the bluetooth. If you review the training commands you'll see they are all bluetooth. When you push the button to put the system into bluetooth mode you can not give it navigation commands because they are separate systems. I seem to have more problems with the navigation commands, that doesn't mean that the bluetooth is perfect it also has problems. I will say call home and it will say dial 0 or 020. there is alot of problems with this system - if we bought this item at the store we'd take it back or ask them to fix, with a car we can't do this and yet Mazda is doing NOTHING!! I have asked to escalate this issue and they have ignored me and my dealer. I'm in the process of getting all my complaints and class action suit, Mazda has had many complaints for this problem and they are going to have to answer for there lack of response. I think there is a different system in the 2008 models most people having problems have 2007 models. Anyone have simular experiences?

+1 here. 2007 system

Mine is a 2007 as well. But the problems were intermittent and I can't say I've noticed any issues since I replaced my Nokia cell with a Motorola. But also can't say the phone switch has any bearing on the issue either.

Ted

Back