Voice Commands Ignored

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
In the last week or so, my 2018 CX-5 GT has begun ignoring voice commands. At first I thought it was an Android Auto problem, but I confirmed this morning that it also ignores commands while in the Mazda Navigation.

I get the prompt, I don't recall if it acknowledges hearing sound, and then after some length of time, maybe 10-20 seconds, it just times out and goes back to what it was doing, as though I hadn't initiated a voice prompt.

I can't find any relevant setting that could explain this behaviour in Mazda Connect, or Android Auto either in the car or on the phone.

If you change the voice to the "Wife" setting, it will tend to ignore anything you say. :unsure:

Nav commands don't work while you're moving (voice or button). Have you tried it while being stopped?

You might test it with a native (non-Android) function.

Tune to an XM station, put the system in the Entertainment Mode by pressing the ♫ button, they say the Voice Command "XM Symphony Hall" or "XX 76" and see if it tunes to that station. This works while in motion or at rest.

That might help determine if it's a universal Voice Command issue or just an Android Auto issue.

I have issues every once in a while where the Voice Command function just seems as though it did not load properly...been this way since I bought the car nearly a year ago.

>I'll push the Voice Command button
>It will say "Say A Command"
>The prompt sounds
>I'll say "XM 76"
>The system will act as though it is processing the command
>The "Completed" sound plays
>The system will either still be on the same station or it will change to something completely random that could not possibly be due to misunderstanding me

Last edited:
I could never get the Nav to work with voice commands. Use it rarely but when I do I just type it in.

I could never get the Nav to work with voice commands. Use it rarely but when I do I just type it in.
I've never tried using Voice Command for the NAV, but people say there's a specific order you use when saying the address.

The lack of detail on the Voice Recognition system is another thing that frustrates me about Mazda. The tutorial goes "You can say things like..." I don't want limited examples, I want a comprehensive list of things I can say and tasks I can accomplish with the Voice Command system, and to my knowledge, no such comprehensive guide exists. How can there not be a complete list of Voice Commands they have programmed the system to recognize? Do we have to guess at it, and then assume that if a command is not accepted that it's an invalid command and not the system being flaky that day?

Did the programmer die?
Is there no data table containing the commands that prompts the system to execute a line of code?

/rant

Back