V6 Fc?

Hi, new member here! Hopefully this question can be answered (and is in the correct forum).

On another forum, a member was asking about Miata swaps. One user posted about someone in Oregon that swapped in a KL V6 into his using some RX7 transmission parts (as well as some other assorted things). Seen here : http://majica.net/JNR/jnr.htm

Anyway, I'm a former FC RX7 guy and was wondering if it'd be possible to drop a KL into an RX. Has anyone tried to mount an RX7 transmission (TII or otherwise) to a KL motor? Will the bellhousing mate to the KL block?

What about the JE motor (used in older 929s or Luce in Japan). The manuals they used were from the TII (and actually had a 13bt engine option). Has anyone tried to fit one of these in a FC RX7?

I'm not quite sure if this is a worth while swap, just curious if it's possible. Any help would be appreciated!

If I were gonna bastardize an RX by putting pistons in it, why not go big and put a big V8 under there?

EDIT: While that KL miata may not be the quickest thing in the world, MAN it sounds good. 6 ITBs...mmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
The only V6 that should even be considered is the turbo V6 out of a grand national. As soon as my motor chunks (again) I think I may do the unholy and LS1 it. BUT there's a catch. I'm not going to do a standard LS1 swap, its going to get stroked to a 408 and have a twin turbo strapped to it!!!!

As for your original question, I don't think the trans will mate up. I could be wrong but as far as it know it wont.

I think if I were going to do a challenging swap on an FC, I'd stick with rotors and get a FD engine in there, or a Renesis. :D

I cant let this debochary continue! Im gonna have to close this thread! lol :p

There is a kit to drop the 13b-REW in ;) Twin turbo 300hp is nice. That is if he wanted to stay rotary. The 13t is actually pretty good till around 350hp, IIRC.

All in the ears of the beholder. At WOT, I think my FD sounds almost........Ferrari'ish. ;)

I never said RXs didn't sound sweet...they sound amazing. Not better or worse than the ol' benchmark ferrari, just different. HOWEVER, you made it sound like I said rotarys sound bad...I was just saying that V6 Miata sounds awesome. If you haven't heard it, you should...

EDIT: Found the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toughTZ9PIw

KL-ZE w/ ITBs...

Last edited:
"IF" your going to stay with a rotary in an FC they why waist the time and money to modify REW to fit when the RE is a direct bolt in and stock to stock a high HP motor and even modified will support more HP than a REW any day of the week? As an FC owner I wouldnt have done it any other way. RE baby RE!

Hi, new member here! Hopefully this question can be answered (and is in the correct forum).

On another forum, a member was asking about Miata swaps. One user posted about someone in Oregon that swapped in a KL V6 into his using some RX7 transmission parts (as well as some other assorted things). Seen here : http://majica.net/JNR/jnr.htm

Anyway, I'm a former FC RX7 guy and was wondering if it'd be possible to drop a KL into an RX. Has anyone tried to mount an RX7 transmission (TII or otherwise) to a KL motor? Will the bellhousing mate to the KL block?

What about the JE motor (used in older 929s or Luce in Japan). The manuals they used were from the TII (and actually had a 13bt engine option). Has anyone tried to fit one of these in a FC RX7?

I'm not quite sure if this is a worth while swap, just curious if it's possible. Any help would be appreciated!
if you read through the website you posted, you'll see that he had an adapter fabbed up to connect the KL engine to the RX7 bell housing.

"IF" your going to stay with a rotary in an FC they why waist the time and money to modify REW to fit when the RE is a direct bolt in and stock to stock a high HP motor and even modified will support more HP than a REW any day of the week? As an FC owner I wouldnt have done it any other way. RE baby RE!
Even though I'm an REW owner, I agree. The REW isn't exactly a 'bolt-in" to an FC. IIRC, it would require some modification for different transmissions and engine mounts. And AFAIK there would be no way to avoid a FMIC install, which would require even more modification and cost. I think the right single turbo FC would be just as much fun, simpler, and a lot less hassle and cost.

If you want a V6, you can always put the VQ35 from a 350z/G35. I know they put one in a 240SX in I think Import Tuner. There is an issue of Import Tuner where some guy in Japan puts all kinds of motors in different cars. It's pretty damn cool. I believe there was a Miata with an S2K motor.

Back