USB port still in console?

Jim_Nazium

:
2014 CX5 Grand Touring
My 2014 CX-5 GT has a USB port in the console which is good for charging phones. Useless for powering a dash camera. Which is why I never installed the dash camera I bought in 2014. Are 2022 CX-5 Mazdas the same way or have they put a USB port closer to the windshield? I'm afraid to experiment with hardwiring it. I can't afford an expensive mistake right now.

The USB port in the 2022 allows for connection to charge and to link your phone for Carplay and AA on the screen.

Also for the 2022, things changed in the rear view mirror so you can buy a donger that allows for a clean dashcam install. I just went through it this past weekend, works great. See this link...
Donger and Dashcam

There is a 12V cigarette lighter socket underneath the AC controls that's connected to the ignition. There is another 12V under the armrest that is always on. I would recommend you use a 12V to USB adapter for your dashcam instead of using one of the USB ports. I don't know if they provide enough power.

People love the Dongar dashcam adapter and I understand. It makes things much easier especially if you don't have a front+rear dashcam. Even if you do, working around the fusebox, although not difficult, takes some time getting used to. BUT you're at a greater risk of draining your battery with that adapter. As far as I know, there is no voltage cutoff function on those adapters.

Depending on your dashcam, you can get a hardwiring adapter that will automatically turn on the dashcam's parking mode when you turn off the car. It's quite smart, you connect a wire to a fuse that is connected to the ignition and one that's always on. And it has a voltage cutoff relay so I assume it's less likely for it to drain the battery.

That’s incorrect. There is NO DANGER of battery drainage using the donger. It only works when the car is in the “on” position. Watch that guy’s video from the link I sent on how easy it is to install, Mine was the same…piece of cake. Faster than running a cigarette plug adapter, tucking in wires, no fuses to mess with and a much cleaner look.

If you need a parking mode dash cam, then buy a battery pack especially made for dash cams which eliminates any concerns on battery drainage.

That’s incorrect. There is NO DANGER of battery drainage using the donger. It only works when the car is in the “on” position. Watch that guy’s video from the link I sent on how easy it is to install, Mine was the same…piece of cake. Faster than running a cigarette plug adapter, tucking in wires, no fuses to mess with and a much cleaner look.

If you need a parking mode dash cam, then buy a battery pack especially made for dash cams which eliminates any concerns on battery drainage.
I thought there was a way to directly connect it to the battery with the adapter. I personally want to be able to record when the car is off.

I thought there was a way to directly connect it to the battery with the adapter. I personally want to be able to record when the car is off.
If you watch the video that the guy made of installing the donger, he shows how the dash cam does not operate when power is off on the car. I tested that too and the results were the same for me.

The donger I got taps into the auto dimmer power, so the USB donger only operates when power is turned on, which is what I wanted.

If you want to record when the power is off, you’ll need to buy either a special dash cam battery pack or have to have it hardwired to the fuse box with a shut off when the car battery is down to a certain point. Either way, you can’t use the donger and unfortunately you have to run wires.

If you watch the video that the guy made of installing the donger, he shows how the dash cam does not operate when power is off on the car. I tested that too and the results were the same for me.

The donger I got taps into the auto dimmer power, so the USB donger only operates when power is turned on, which is what I wanted.

If you want to record when the power is off, you’ll need to buy either a special dash cam battery pack or have to have it hardwired to the fuse box with a shut off when the car battery is down to a certain point. Either way, you can’t use the donger and unfortunately you have to run wires.
I understand. I wasn't sure because there are some posts (like this) that say you can do either.

Most workplaces already have parking lot cameras.
Just add a surveillance camera outside your garage for the driveway and your all set. Hook it up to your computer for unlimited record time. Ot if you want to do it on the cheap, just get a trail cam. Will record any activity near your car.

I understand. I wasn't sure because there are some posts (like this) that say you can do either.
I think that post is saying that unswitched and switched power exists in the harness.. but the adapter taps off the switched power. I guess it would be possible to move the power tap in the harness to the line of unswitched power. I would reach out to Donger and ask.. I would guess this question has come up many times before.
If I am reading this right.. it does look like there is switched and unswitched power in the connector - Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual - Auto Dimming Mirror Inspection - Mirrors

I think that post is saying that unswitched and switched power exists in the harness.. but the adapter taps off the switched power. I guess it would be possible to move the power tap in the harness to the line of unswitched power. I would reach out to Donger and ask.. I would guess this question has come up many times before.
If I am reading this right.. it does look like there is switched and unswitched power in the connector - Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual - Auto Dimming Mirror Inspection - Mirrors
There should be, because Homelink works when the ignition is off.

Most workplaces already have parking lot cameras.
Just add a surveillance camera outside your garage for the driveway and your all set. Hook it up to your computer for unlimited record time. Ot if you want to do it on the cheap, just get a trail cam. Will record any activity near your car.
You make excellent points, and I would definitely do that if I had a driveway :)
I am still somewhat lucky though, my apartment building has underground parking so I am covered there. At work, we have no cameras watching the parking lot, but I don't think anyone would cause any harm there.
The problem is that when I go to my girlfriend's, I park on the street and it's not the safest part of the town. Or when you park at a grocery store parking lot, you don't know if you'll be keyed or if someone will ram a shopping cart into your car.

PS: I did not mean to send two messages in a row, sorry about that.

Back