USB port not charging phone

Hi folks,

I have a new 2014.5 CX-5 GT with tech package.

The USB in arm rest console is not charging my phone. I have tried three different cables that work fine in my BMW and also my laptop and PC.

My phone is a Nokia Lumia 920. Never had a problem with this phone before.

Any ideas? The basics are covered: tried with engine on, ignition on...

I wonder if I should take it to the dealer to see if I have a bad port.

Thanks!

The USB in the armrest is switched on only with the ignition on. My iPhone has never had a problem charging from the one in the armrest while driving. Do you not even see a charging symbol on the 920? The armrest USB is more of a trickle charge so it won't move your charge up fast if you are simultaneously using the phone. If you use adapters on one of the three 12V plugs, you can have full amperage to charge (two are always on, one is strictly with ignition.)

How long have you waited? Sometimes it takes a minute or two for it to initialize... If it doesn't work, try unplugging it and plugging it back in again. That usually does the trick for my iPhone. But like ErgoZoom said, it barely charges your phone if you're using it as a GPS or something. Better off investing in a 12v USB Adapter.

I don't see the charging indicator in the phone or the sound it makes when you plug it to power. I have waiting up to four minutes after connecting, and tried several times disconnecting and connecting the cable. I don't plan to use the phone while driving, just want to keep it charged on long road trips.

I will try with my wife's phone (it is a dumb phone but it has standard micro USB port just like modern smart phones).

By the way, any good 12v USB adapter you recommend? I know there are very bad ones that can damage your phone electronics.

Thanks!

Most of the new phones cannot be charged with normal USB connectors, as they don't provide enough juice. Some need 1A some need 2A. Mine does not too yet it did charge an older phone..
However, sometimes if you turn off the phone it might (or might not, depending on the phone) charge it.
You can find adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) which will. Some adapters combine this with a 110v outlet.

This one. It provides enough amperage to cover a tablet from the USB ports. It just sits in the cup holder and it plugs to the front 12V (which is always on verses the one in the armrest that is only on when in ignition; the cargo area one is also on at all times.) Makes it easy to recharge when away from the car.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I really wish we could access a more powerful port, though, as my laptop needs 170W to 220W to do an active charge (workstation class) which would make it convenient for work though I can do a trickle charge in standby off of the converter listed with the laptop in standby.

So ultimately the question becomes: What is the OUTPUT DC voltage of the armrest USB? I have the Nokia Lumia 1020, and I am pretty sure it charges it...the Nokia phones will accept lower amperages but wont charge as fast. You put it on a 2.1amp and it charges REALLY fast...1.2amp not so much...1amp? It charges but like BARELY faster than discharge...but it does show the charge symbol...

The type of cable matters MORE. Cheap cables, and my phone laughs at them...they work BEST with the cables that came from Nokia...

Windows Phones rule BTW...yes, some apps are missing and that SUCKS...but the phone is SO MUCH BETTER than my old iPhone 4S it is LAUGHABLE...

Back