2023 CX-5 Wireless Qi Charging Pad cooking the phone instead of charging

Yes, I did. I pointed also that reading internet forum threads I found that many people have decided to switch to a cord. However, as this charger is an element of the trim for which I have paid, I have got justified right to expect it to fit to purpose.

One more annoyance is that the wireless pad turns on Apple pay :) even if the pad is Off from the button.

So, Mazda, in their infinite wisdom decided to equip their cars with wireless Qi charging pads but cheeped out and didn't use MagSafe compatible pads? Well done bean counters.

22 sig here with the same issues of over heating and neither my s22 ultra or s23 ultra staying on the pad. Work iPhone in an otterbox works almost flawless though. And wife's small s23 works fine also.

On my s23 I set a routine that once conne Ted to bt it will disable nfc. Not sure if Apple has a way to do this.

I have a magsafe case on the s23 ultra as well and it will charge. But it still overheats even without the case. I can slow it down by only using BT for audio but if I use wireless carplay it will heat up real fast especially if the charge is low already.

But there is also the not staying put problem. The angle and design is not well thought out at all. I have tried adding friction in various ways to no avail. The best bet would be to add magsafe to it somehow. Or at last higher side boarders with an inward angle

One more annoyance is that the wireless pad turns on Apple pay :) even if the pad is Off from the button.
If you set your phone to activate Driving focus while connected to car bluetooth or wireless carplay you shouldn’t have this issue anymore.

But there is also the not staying put problem. The angle and design is not well thought out at all. I have tried adding friction in various ways to no avail. The best bet would be to add magsafe to it somehow. Or at last higher side boarders with an inward angle
Can you explain more about what happens? My phone has been fine in terms of "staying put".

The s22 ultra and to a lesser extent the s23 ultra has curved sides so any braking and it will slide forward off the charger.

Wife's s23 has squared sides and rounded corners so it's sits better.

And the work iPhone has otterbox which grips well against the charger.

The Mazda UK answer:

Thanks for your response, I note the further comments made.

As previously mentioned the wireless charger (Qi) installed in Mazda vehicles is not compatible with MagSafe introduced on iPhone 12 and later, and the operation of the function cannot always be guaranteed.

Thank you for your feedback, I have raised this with our in house technical team to see if any alterations can be made in the future.

Gonna have to disagree here. I have a magsafe case on my s23 ultra and wife's s23 and work iphone has it built in. It works fine on all other wireless chargers (with or without the case) it's just this one. It always overheats. Magsafe sounds like a technical explanation to deny further investigation into poor placement and/or poor implementation. At least some air flow from the a/c might help and placing it in area that is not directly in the sun would also help.

Gonna have to disagree here. I have a magsafe case on my s23 ultra and wife's s23 and work iphone has it built in. It works fine on all other wireless chargers (with or without the case) it's just this one. It always overheats. Magsafe sounds like a technical explanation to deny further investigation into poor placement and/or poor implementation. At least some air flow from the a/c might help and placing it in area that is not directly in the sun would also help.
I’m with you. My 13 Pro has wirelessly charged fine for nearly two years of ownership on a cheap Aldi bedside clock as well as an Anker pad. Only my ‘23 CX-5 Qi charger makes it hot.

Just as an FYI here... Neither of our CX-5's has the wireless charger, but my CX-50 DOES have it, and it's also a common complaint on the CX50forums that the charger overheats and stops charging way too quickly. So, I just constructed a fan-based cooler for mine and hope it will improve things. For details see: Mazda Phone Charger Cooling - maybe this will fix...

I'm 50-50 that it'll work, but I'll repost back once I've done a long enough drive to test.

Back