Upsizing Tires on 18" wheels?

CometGSR

So my OEMs are starting to show their age at 25K (amazing!).. Has anyone played with upsizing or going with taller tires in the 18" rim size? I am hoping for a little more selection and give it a more SUV look. What tire sizes have you tried?

I would be interested as well, I'd assume they'd affect handling especially cornering, but might provide more grip in loose situations. From my experience if you go with blockier tires, aka "Mudders" you lose a lot in MPG as well, all those big blocks create a lot of rolling resistance.

I am thinking of going with P 255/60R18, which has a better selection. I don't want to go with mudders, but something a little more beefy.

I am thinking of going with P 255/60R18, which has a better selection. I don't want to go with mudders, but something a little more beefy.

Yup, that's a good happy medium.

Not a cheap size, but probably a good size/fit.

I recently replaced the original tires at 45K miles, and went with a 255-60-18. It fits perfectly - maybe .5" shorter, which is fine. Made a noticeable difference in handling - the car is much more stable now.
That is the OEM size for a BMW X5, which is a similar sized vehicle - slightly smaller even. And I think maybe also the Porsche Cayenne. I went with a passenger car tire from Yokohama - YK580 at Americas Tire (Discount Tire).
Happy so far with them. I would not run them in snow, but I have dedicated snow tires for that when needed. If it ever snows again here in the CA sierra's....

I finally did it!

I bought a set of P255/60R18 Toyo Open County H/T tires. The fill the wheel well very nicely!

calc.jpg

Gives you an idea of the size difference

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

They have a bit of a different feel than the Dualers did, but I like how they look and ride!

Back