Unresponsive Nav Touchscreen

BruceAlmighty

:
'07 CX-9
my '07 CX-9 nav unit touch screen becomes unresponsive, periodically. We've had it to the dealer 3 times with only tempory success. Each time, they have replaced the dash unit with either a rebuilt or new (so they claim) unit.
The problem occurs while driving with guidance. While the screen will continue to show accurate nav data, and continue to give voice guidance, if you want to use any of the touchscreen features, it doesn't work. You can tell when this malfunction has happened, because the amber clock on the top of the dash will freeze at the time of the 'lockout'.
The only way to get it working again is to stop, and turn the car off/on. This option is extremely annoying when you are on the interstate, and only want to find the nearest McDonalds.

Has anyone had any history of this problem, and more importantly, how did you rectify it?

How do you know the clock freezes? The clock is a totally independent system contained in the display itself, other then the time setting controls.

Are you sure you're not just experiencing the normal lockout while driving? It won't let you input data on the go to prevent distractions.

Sports,
With NAVI, the clock displayed is in synch with Satellites of NAVI.
Therefore, it is extremely accurate, and no need for adjusting ever (saved the DST by +/- one hour).

Bruce,
Good point about the clock freeze. With that, I am guessing that it is not the display
itself. It is the NAVI unit itself that is broken. The unit drives the display. You have a '07 model. The unit is hidden in the cargo area on the right hand side. Lift the cargo cover, and you will see it. You dealer should try to replace it and see what happen.

Last edited:
How do you know the clock freezes? The clock is a totally independent system contained in the display itself, other then the time setting controls.

Are you sure you're not just experiencing the normal lockout while driving? It won't let you input data on the go to prevent distractions.
Nope...there are two visible clocks; one that is on the top of the dashboard, and comes with every car, I assume, and the other is displayed on the face of the touchscreen. The dashboard clock will freeze at whatever time the touchscreen fails, but the touchscreen clock will continue to show the correct time. So when I see a difference between the two clocks, I know right away that the screen won't work.

Actually, I think it is not that the display is not responsive. It is the unit that is not taking the input and responds properly. The two clocks are from the same source. You adjust the one in MFD (multi-function display), and the one on dash changes accordingly. Based on what you described, it seems to me that the unit is broken (not the display). The clock source is OK, however, the driving circuits out of the unit seem to be faulty. Replacing the NAVI unit seems like the reasonable guess to me.

Nope...there are two visible clocks; one that is on the top of the dashboard, and comes with every car, I assume, and the other is displayed on the face of the touchscreen. The dashboard clock will freeze at whatever time the touchscreen fails, but the touchscreen clock will continue to show the correct time. So when I see a difference between the two clocks, I know right away that the screen won't work.

I have experienced the same issue with a faulty backup navi DVD copy.

Last edited:
OMF has a good point. A faulty DVD disk can also cause the display unit to function improperly. Do you have a "backup copy" from someone?
Pop it out to take a look-see.

OMF's suggestions seems really plausible. Think about it. The Nav only uses the DVD when in guidance mode and that is when your trouble happens. Not sure if yours came with one or 2 DVDs but if the latter, try the other DVD and see what happens. It won't be for your area but heck, give it a try. Also look for scratches on the DVD you are using.

OMF, I think is right on with his suggestion!

Since dealer agreed to replace the unit, I believe it is probably not the DVD in this case. That would be the 1st thing they checked and inspected. Hope that the new unit fixes the issue you experienced.

I've never been given, nor have I seen a DVD for my unit. I have not attempted to access the NAVI unit in the back of the car, for fear of voiding the warranty. From what i'm reading on this blog, apparently other years, the owners can insert their DVD while sitting in the drivers seat...I can not do that on my model. I've been getting slow response from my dealer, who says he's 'waiting for the vender to contact him" re switching units. When asked to call them, he said he didn't have the number, only Mazda USA talks to them. Can anyone suggest how to rattle their cage...is their a regional Mazda office or national phone number I could call to put pressure on my dealer? Thanks.

I've never been given, nor have I seen a DVD for my unit. I have not attempted to access the NAVI unit in the back of the car, for fear of voiding the warranty.

When I first got my GT, I ejected the DVD to check the version. You will not void any warranty doing it. I don't remember now the exact procedure, but it is very simple. Look in your Nav manual. Don't even need to remove any screw. I think it is located under the cargo area below the carpeted "door". Just lift it up and you should be able to see it.

It's really easy to get to the DVD, you just lift the door where the tire changing stuff is and to the right there's a little access panel with Navigation on it. You just remove this panel and the DVD player is right there. I didn't look to see if there was an eject button there, but that's where it is in an '08.

My 2009 GT has the NAV DVD in dash. You press a button on the NAV side panel and the NAV screen folds out horizontally and there is the slot of the music CD and for the NAV DVD. I do have the single CD Disc player so maybe that is why?

Bruce:
MazdaUsa.com should have the number under "Contact Us".
It is under warranty. Dealer needs approval to fix a major item like that. Otherwise, they don't get paid from Mazda. It is a procedure to go through.

2009 models have the NAVI unit behind the MFD, not in the trunk any more like those of 2007/8 models. 2009 models also get better GUI and probably finer display resolution as well (based on photos I have seen.)

There is a way to defect the lockout if you are really into DIY.
I will refer you to it if you are up to it.
P.S. only for people who can assembly a simple circuit board with one 555 IC (timer) and some capacitors and resistors.

Back